Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Massive amount of zombie processes on my server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help! Massive amount of zombie processes on my server?

2»

Comments

• @Kairus said: Run an apt-get update, and apt-get upgrade :)

Did that, didn't solve it but also didn't break anything :)

Turned out to be a bug in the php-fpm package in Ubuntu/Debian, and still not fixed.
    Read more details here, and better: how to fix it!
    http://tuxlite.com/2012/01/ubuntu-11-10-php5-fpm-bug/

(not my blog, but I asked the owner from there for help)

• @djvdorp said: Turned out to be a bug in the php-fpm package in Ubuntu/Debian, and still not fixed.

Interesting, I thought that could be a potential problem. I compile php myself since I can enable/disable what I want and it runs great :).

• @Kairus said: Interesting, I thought that could be a potential problem. I compile php myself since I can enable/disable what I want and it runs great :).

Haha, now I see the advantage of compiling yourself. And it probably ain't hard to learn to. Do you also run a debian flavour, or some other distro?

• @djvdorp said: And it probably ain't hard to learn to. Do you also run a debian flavour, or some other distro?

I typically use Debian. It's really easy to compile php, nginx, and APC yourself. Only thing I don't compile myself is MySQL as it takes a long time, and I hate to max out the CPU for 5+ minutes on a VPS. I just install MySQL (lately been using MariaDB) from apt-get.

The process is really easy to learn as you'll get useful error messages along the way, like when ./configure to your liking, if you're missing say, the PNG library, it'll tell you you're missing it, and you can apt-get libpng-dev (or whatever package it is). Googling the error message always brings up solutions. Only down size is that you have to stay up to date and check the PHP website often for updates, especially since a lot of the updates fix security vulnerabilities.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • Thanks for that information @Kiarus, will get to fiddle with that on my next box to install :)
    Very kind to share your knowledge with me here!