Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time4VPS clients wanting IPv6 - let them know! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Time4VPS clients wanting IPv6 - let them know!

13»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

elgs said: Old ISP may not, but new ISP will. It will be much easier for anybody to become an ISP as IPv6 is virtually free and unlimited in number.

Yes, what every ISP wants, more competition :)

A few ISP's up here have said they want to get V6 supported...but why? what is the big thing to force v6? Short of one of the webs biggest products taking one for the team to push an agenda, you're kinda hooped.

Francisco

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

elgs said: Old ISP may not, but new ISP will

The new ones do not hold the market though sadly.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

AT&T and Comcast offer IPv6... though I personally disabled it in my home connection because it made the internet feel slower.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: If residential ISP's adopted it as primary

What do you mean "as primary". Many ISPs already provide IPv6 to customers, with only a NAT'ed IPv4. Seems like that should count for as "primary" alright.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • Doesn't matter to me, I'm still very happy with Time4VPS

• @shovenose said:
    AT&T and Comcast offer IPv6... though I personally disabled it in my home connection because it made the internet feel slower.

I'm not sure if it depends by area, but on Comcast in California ipv6 goes down often and randomly, if you call to ask about it they say everything looks fine because their metric is ipv4 connectivity. I disable v6 or prefer v4 on all my machines at home because of this sadly.

Thanked by 1raindog308

rm_ said: What do you mean "as primary". Many ISPs already provide IPv6 to customers, with only a NAT'ed IPv4. Seems like that should count for as "primary" alright.

Many as in more than provide IPv4 only?

Genuine question as you seem to keep up with it.

I know in the UK there are 2 ISP's that provide IPv6, and they are insignificant.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

AnthonySmith said: Many as in more than provide IPv4 only?

Many as in a significant proportion of ISPs who have deployed IPv6. One can speculate those went with v6 because they have no IPv4 blocks left, have no choice but to implement IPv4 NAT for everyone, and want to offset its deficiences (e.g. the lack of any incoming connectivity) via also providing IPv6.

And on others you just get the NATed IPv4 and that's it.

i suppose the UK being an IPv6 deadzone influences my outlook.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • AnthonySmith said: I am genuinely interested in a use case that proves necessity, not just 'want'

Some of the large ISPs here use CGNAT now and only assign public v6 - if you want public access you use v6 or pay for a business contract.

AnthonySmith said: i suppose the UK being an IPv6 deadzone influences my outlook.

Your ISPs suck, simple as that. Some smaller ones offer v6 since many years, BT at least has it for some and in the backbone now.

Thanked by 1elgs

William said: Your ISPs suck, simple as that. Some smaller ones offer v6 since many years, BT at least has it for some and in the backbone now.

Yeah A&A offer it and a couple of small ones, but they probably don't even equate to 5% of the entire consumer market, and my bet is the actual take up of IPv6 in that 5% is less than 10%.

9 times out of 10 here if you call an ISP to esquire they don't even know what IPv6 is, BT included.

• It's a start, and that few is something at least....

• sinsin Member

shovenose said: AT&T and Comcast offer IPv6

Verizon now has IPv6 on residential too

• I know in the UK there are 2 ISP's that provide IPv6, and they are insignificant.

I wouldn't call SKY insignificant in terms of UK ISP's and yes they have IPv6 on parts of their network (It's rolling out to everyone else)

You get a dynamically assigned /56

edited July 2016

@dragon2611 I did not know they had IPv6 now, hopefully its not like the plusnet trial which pretty much ended in plusnet saying 'no one uses it' and they cancelled the roll out.

Edit: just updated myself on the IPv6 situation in the UK, seems the only major ISP's not to have dual stack are talktalk and plusnet, in both cases it looks like they rolled out and continue to roll out routers to end users that don't support IPv6.... genius.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited July 2016

Skys is a live roll out currently in progress not sure how much of the network is done yet but it's live on my FTTC line, that said I've not figured out how to use anything more than a /64 with their router.

If you use a 3rd party router/firewall it's possible to use other prefixes within the assigned /56 so it IS being routed correctly it's just their CPE router is currently setup in such a way to only support a single home LAN (Not surprising really). Also they were at least sane enough to put a firewall in that drops unsolicited inbound IPv6 traffic by default.

On FTTC with a 3rd party router you need to send the DHCPv6-PD request within seconds of the DHCPv4 request/assignment. I'm led to believe this is a problem their side that they are looking to fix and not by design.

Also for a 3rd party router you need to send a HEX string within option61 for IPV4 to work, it used to have to be the username/password ripped out of the supplied CPE but these days it seems it will accept almost anything. If you don't send the option61 you'll never receive a reply from their DHCPv4 server.

I don't currently use my /56 from SKY as I have a static /48 on the other ISP.