Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv4 NAT from Inception - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv4 NAT from Inception

2»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Spirit Honestly yes, my costs minus my time for this are around €50 p/month or €600 p/year to recoup that and break even I would need to put 234 VM's on the node, and that is just silly, it is a 4GB X3330 server with 2 disks.

Those costs will ramp up over time as I plan to stand up another 3 locations this year, this truly is a sponsored project, up sell and economies of scale may help later down the line but I walked in to this with a completely not for profit mind set.

I understand people being skeptical but I am nothing but transparent at the best of times

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

This may turn out as even bigger loss then over the time when IPv6 will become more widely adopted and used.

@AnthonySmith said: I understand people being skeptical...

Naah, it's OK. It's more curiosity than anything else :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said: I honestly cannot think of a good reason to need native external/IPv4 for this service

I got 1: My provider doesnt have IPv6 :( i just want SSH and a webpage, the other thing I can manage IPv6 using another VPS

• earlearl Member

@netomx said: My provider doesnt have IPv6 :(

This use to work pretty good, not sure how well it works now but it's worth a try cause it's one of the simplest to set up!

Erm and you can connect via ssh/serial and host a web page on this.... Why would you say that?

And ipv6 tunnel.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said: Erm and you can connect via ssh/serial and host a web page on this.... Why would you say that?

with the tunnel, i know, that's the only thing i need, i want to say :P not complaining even a little

No.. you don't need a tunnel, you can set your ssh port via the serial console in solusvm, and then connect over IPv4 through the external address.

:confused::

• JacobJacob Member

@AnthonySmith seems like a great idea, but sounds like alot of admin work is involved.

Maybe @soluslabs will automate this in the future.

• necsnecs Member
    edited March 2013

@Jacob said: seems like a great idea, but sounds like alot of admin work is involved.

Sounds like.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited March 2013

@Jacob said: @AnthonySmith seems like a great idea, but sounds like alot of admin work is involved.

That is why @AnthonySmith has mentioned this is a side project for him...
    I think if someone wants to pull some quick profit, the easiest way is to get a box with cheap IP, buy a Solus license and see as many as you can, which is obviously not what he is doing here.