Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

oversold vps that doesn't run away
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

oversold vps that doesn't run away

duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
edited July 2016 in Requests

Yes, i know there's a lot of offers like this in let but, most of them are just summer hosts

Would anyone happen to know any provider offering vpses that will stay up (performance is unimportant)

I'm looking for something shitty with:
1gb-2gb ram
5-10gb disk (doesnt matter if its slow)
any bandwidth
any uplink speed as long as it stays at least at 10mbps (not bytes)
97% uptime+
bad support is unimportant as long as the uptime is there
NAT vps is 100% okay
2-3$ monthly (hence why shitty server is unimportant)

why? I'm trying to host a discourse forum with very low traffic, the thing is that discourse eats ram like I do ritalin, and since the traffic is low the performance is pretty much unrelated as long as i can have a spiking traffic of 3hits/sec (almost never happens)

Comments

• WHTWHT Member

There are great providers around that offers 99%+ uptime and you may get a vps cheaper.

97% uptime means your vos will be daily for 1 hour down.

• WHT said: There are great providers around that offers 99%+ uptime and you may get a vps cheaper.

Care to mention them?

WHT said: 97% uptime means your vos will be daily for 1 hour down.

Oh, i didn't notice my math mistake, thanks

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

1GB RAM

2 Cores

15GB SSD

1000GB BW

2 IPv4

Seattle WA, Dallas TX or NYC, NY

$24 per year: https://subnetlabs.com/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=33

Our website: www.impactvps.com

Our uptime is easily over 97%

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

we have some great VPS servers but for that amount of ram you will have to come up on price for most providers that are going to be around more than just a summer.

• bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

If 6 month billing cycle is OK, check UltraVPS.eu, they offer 1GB KVM VPS for €3/m including VAT, that's their latest LET thread.

Check also ArubaCloud 1GB WMware €1 servers.

As for OpenVZ, HostUS has $10/quarter or $35/year 2GB special plan (aff link).

InceptionHosting €2 1/2GB OpenVZ offers are available too.

• So far the best option seems to be time4vps, 1gb ram for 2eu

Thanked by 1bersy
  • JacobJacob Member

Assuming that the UK is an acceptable location for you and that your 'discourse forum' won't cause problems for neighbouring virtual machines then we welcome you with open arms :)

Prices are already substantially discounted but there is promotional codes available if you search around.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Jacob.

• Thanked by 1i83
  • +1 for Impactvps... Uptime is easily 100% for most months.
    Same with Hostus and time4vps

• duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
    edited July 2016

I have their yearly 128mb plan and its good but I can't seem to find any 1gb plans under this price.

Jacob said: Assuming that the UK is an acceptable location for you and that your 'discourse forum' won't cause problems for neighbouring virtual machines then we welcome you with open arms :)

I don't see why the UK would be an issue, the only problem I'd cause is the first hour I gotta spend building docker w/ discourse and rvm with the needed gems (about 30 minutes worth of non-stop compiling according to my experience with scaleway's cpus).

• MacPacMacPac Member
    edited July 2016

If Miami, FL is suitable for you, I can offer you this KVM

1GB RAM

1x CPU ( E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz )

20GB SSD Raid Protected Storage

1xIPv4

1xIPv6

100Mbps / 500 GB Bandwidth

Price: $3

Order from here

LookingGlass http://lg.mia.serverhand.com/

Our KVM Plans https://www.arcanumservices.net/clients/cart.php?gid=5

And the great thing about this offer is that i will upgrade your port to 500Mbps for free.

• @CenTexHosting said:
    we have some great VPS servers but for that amount of ram you will have to come up on price for most providers that are going to be around more than just a summer.

I think that's why the OP is seeking "oversold" servers. I similarly have a low-traffic, high-RAM site that sits idle 95% of the time. That sort of thing can mostly be swapped out either at the OS level or the VM level, but most low-end providers don't seem to target that use case.

For example, the RamNode OpenVZ plans top out at 512MB swap, whereas I would love to run my idle box with, say, 8GB. I know, I know: upgrade to KVM . . .

• MacPac said: If Miami, FL is suitable for you, I can offer you this KVM

um, but I can't find much information on this company at all

Just from a whois I get this from your domain
    Creation Date: 19-may-2016
    Expiration Date: 19-may-2017

Could you tell me why your whois is private?

• Kimsufi doesn't run away.

Thanked by 1xaoc
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@zafouhar - The Kimsufi joke is getting rather old in the meantime... ;-)

• If you want something crazily oversold but still pretty nice, go with @Alpharacks.

• IMO, all VPS are oversold..

If you want minimal risk of run away, host with a public company is the best option. In LET market, most of clients are willing to trade off reliability with low price.

• hzrhzr Member

Note that Discourse requires Docker to run and does its own interprocess/internal networking

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MacPacMacPac Member

@duckeeyuck said:

The whois information is already public here

More information about the company is linked on our website footer.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@duckeeyuck said:
    Yes, i know there's a lot of offers like this in let but, most of them are just summer hosts

Would anyone happen to know any provider offering vpses that will stay up (performance is unimportant)

I'm looking for something shitty with:
    1gb-2gb ram
    5-10gb disk (doesnt matter if its slow)
    any bandwidth
    any uplink speed as long as it stays at least at 10mbps (not bytes)
    97% uptime+
    bad support is unimportant as long as the uptime is there
    NAT vps is 100% okay
    2-3$ monthly (hence why shitty server is unimportant)

why? I'm trying to host a discourse forum with very low traffic, the thing is that discourse eats ram like I do ritalin, and since the traffic is low the performance is pretty much unrelated as long as i can have a spiking traffic of 3hits/sec (almost never happens)

Not to burst your bubble, but discourse is easier to configure and run through docker, which in turn relies on KVM.

That doesn't mean you can't bust your balls and get it to work on OpenVZ, but it is just a little more time consuming / PITA to do so.

• Crap I didn't realize, I was indeed running discourse on a kvm container

• @Virmach might restock 2gb ssd kvm ($30/yr) special when they launch new location or something.

Happy with what I get for the price.

If your forum is a true idler, it would be a good fit.

• MacPac said: The whois information is already public here

My mistake, some site gave me the wrong details, the issue was in my side.

K4Y5 said: Not to burst your bubble, but discourse is easier to configure and run through docker, which in turn relies on KVM.

duckeeyuck said: Crap I didn't realize, I was indeed running discourse on a kvm container

However I can confirm that it works on openvz, it gets easier with this: https://github.com/nahtnam2/dontdockmebro/blob/master/Instructions.md
    installing plugins doesn't seem worth the effort without using docker

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

duckeeyuck said: However I can confirm that it works on openvz, it gets easier with this

Yeah, I know. I still run an instance of discourse the hard way. But yes, in the future, there is no way in hell I am going to go through with discourse sans docker.

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
  • Honestly, any shared hosting with CloudLinux & CageFS will suffice.

• MridulMridul Member

You can go with Dacentec. Solid Hosts. Prices start $1 - $2 /Mo.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • Look up ArubaCloud. They have 1$ starter VPS with 1gb ram, 20gb SSD and 2TB of data(i think)..

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited July 2016

@DigialFyre

Honestly, I absolutely hate CageFS; I ran a website on a shared hosting plan that worked great until my host got CL/CageFS and I started getting "resource limit exhausted" notifications from CageFS. Great thing is I barely ever got 15 visits per minute.

Static site? Fine, use shared hosting with CL/CageFS.

WordPress + plugins? Forget shared hosting.

(I ended up migrating that site over to a VPS, haven't any problems since)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran