Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it a wise decision to block IP ranges of Hosting companies? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it a wise decision to block IP ranges of Hosting companies?

2»

Comments

• @black said:
    I don't think there's going to be less abuse on IPv6.

I didn't say there would be. I just said that currently I see much more abuse from IPv4. If new providers want to increase their legitimate reputation, they should be concentrating on their IPv6 traffic first. Crying and moaning about tainted IPv4 address space is not the way forward.

• @SonOfAMotherlessGoat said:
    If you want my IP to ban me, just DM and I'll get that to you.

Why would I want that? If you're not abusing me or anyone else, nobody is out to get you. If you are being a dick (or live in a network neighborhood full of them) you should expect to have problems, and may already be banned! Stop acting like I'm being a jerk merely for pointing out when other people are being jerks.

• lazytlazyt Member

The loss of the odd VPN cause they can person is more then made up by retaining regular posters and removing the 4 to 6 hours spent a day cleaning up after what seems to be the majority of VPN users when you run forums or blogs.

99 percent of them seem to end up being trolls or spammers.

• What is the procedure NetFlix is using to block? are they blocking ASN?

• TinkuTinku Member

@black said:
    @Tinku They're most likely anycast IPs so technically they'll come from different locations but the IP address will look the same. As mentioned in my earlier post, http://GetIPIntel.net detects the residential IPs you're worried about,

is it possible to use it with nginx?

• blackblack Member

Tinku said: is it possible to use it with nginx?

It's better to do it on the application layer like PHP. Most people have it as an includes file that prints out an error and uses "die" to prevent the rest of their website code from executing. Also be aware that there are limits on the free usage tier.