Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Simple Monitoring
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Simple Monitoring

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited March 2013 in Help

Hello,

I've been trying to install a monitoring solution this morning and am not having much luck with any (tried Zenoss, Nagios, Munin). Do you know of any simple to install monitoring systems, that also have a simple interface?

I need the graphs, etc but I don't need anything too fancy. I want it to be simple, it's not a mission critical operation!

Comments

• Munin is easy to install!

• @GetKVM_Ash said: Munin is easy to install!

+1, you can easily find tutorials on the web

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@GetKVM_Ash said: Munin is easy to install!

It wouldn't work for me -.-

It asked for a username and password which I didn't know. I changed the password and it wasn't accepting that either.

• Could be a .htaccess problem that, what guide did you follow?

• @dominicl said: It asked for a username and password which I didn't know. I changed the password and it wasn't accepting that either.

A stock Munin install doesn't even have a web server. ;)

• edited March 2013

@dominicl said: It asked for a username and password which I didn't know. I changed the password and it wasn't accepting that either.

Just comment out the following lines in /etc/httpd/conf.d/munin.conf

AuthUserFile /etc/munin/munin-htpasswd
    AuthName "Munin"
    AuthType Basic
    require valid-user

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Munin is extremely easy to setup, but Zabbix is even easier. :D

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited March 2013

http://www.fullyautomatednagios.org/

The purpose of FAN is to provide a quick and easy installation which includes the most-used tools in the Nagios community. The FAN CD-ROM is ISO-certified, it is thus very easy to install. A large number of tools are also being distributed, which makes the implementation of an efficient monitoring platform much easier.

FAN is based on CentOS. All CentOS packages remain available, so that you can keep all the advantages of CentOS while having the Nagios tools already installed and configured for you.

Integrated tools :

• Nagios : core monitoring application;
    • Nagios plug-ins : plug-ins to monitor different equipments;
    • Centreon : Web interface for Nagios (Centreon is one of the best for this purpose!);
    • NagVis : advanced mapping (geographical, functional, by services…);
    • NDOUtils : stores the Nagios data into a MySQL database;
    • NRPE : makes it possible to monitor the Windows servers (the NRPE daemon is not provided);
  • @KuJoe said: Munin is extremely easy to setup, but Zabbix is even easier. :D

Come on now... that's asking for trouble lol

• KVM VPS with the Zabbix virtual appliance would be your easiest solution, boot and go.

• @dominicl said: I need the graphs, etc but I don't need anything too fancy

If it for another one of your fail-in-a-month VPS hosting, then I am out of this discussion.

But if it is not, it might be helpful to let us know what OS you are using, or if you are using a control panel or not, or if (just in case) you are on shared hosting or VPS.

• We've got a free server monitoring offer up on LET currently - might be a good alternative.
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/8757/free-server-monitoring-offer

Wow, I can't believe I forgot to mention Observium. 10x better than munin (we use both munin and Observium).

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

New Relic.

• @kujoe what makes it better than munin?

I just use hostedmunin.com with their simple manual

It's not just graphs. It's an excellent network monitoring tool and I couldn't ask for a better interface for a monitor script.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@zhuanyi

If it for another one of your fail-in-a-month VPS hosting, then I am out of this discussion.

Big words from someone who can not start a vps company even if everything is paid for.
    Any news when we will see the results of your competition entry?

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    edited March 2013

@MikHo said: Big words from someone who can not start a vps company even if everything is paid for.

You want to add another low end VPS reseller to the overcrowded Colocrossing market now? If you want I can start sell you VPS now and close the shop in 6 months or sell it off to someone like what OP has done twice in the past year.

And like what I have mentioned a trillion times: nothing is paid and no money is wasted. The 6 months doesn't start until I say so.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I think it should have been a rule of the competition that it would launch within a not so far away future.

And when the prize was awarded, there were not so many colocrossing providers as there are today. That would have been a huge advantage to you.

I guess you misunderstood what I ment with "paid for" that means you would not have any costs he first 6 months.
    Money may not have used yet, but its still wasted.

Do you even have an estimate when it might kick off?

Now I'll leave it with that comment to not derail this thread anymore.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

+1 for zabbix - I found it easy to setup. You do have to read the manual because monitoring is inherently complicated.

• @MikHo said: I ment with "paid for" that means you would not have any costs he first 6 months.

Yes, and obviously if I am trying to just open shop for 6 months and sell is quickly after to make a quick profit, then I would have no trouble opening something now and start selling, and that is obviously not what I want.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

To clarify, this is not for a paid hosting company in any way, shape or form.

I'm currently using CentOS (but OS can be changed) on a SemoWeb VPS.

• @MikHo: Relax. @zhuanyi won that just let him do what he wants to do with it.

Anyways, there's tons of monitoring tools out there that should fit your needs.

Centreon/Nagios
    Icinga (branched off from Nagios)
    Observium
    Zabbix
    Munin

There's multiple monitoring tools. You just need to find the right ones.

• @dominicl said: I'm currently using CentOS (but OS can be changed) on a SemoWeb VPS.

In that case I would recommend you to install Debian and install Apache/Nginx and munin is as simple as apt-get install munin munin-node

You will have to change the config slightly, but it should be very straight-forward.