Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Again Dedi VS Cloud! Dual E-2670 V1 or IWStack ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Again Dedi VS Cloud! Dual E-2670 V1 or IWStack ?

aboyousefaboyousef Member
edited July 2016 in General

Hello, yes I know it's an old discussion but still a valid question!
with all of the new technologies being applied in the Cloud hosting
sector and the progress in virtualization, the list of the real life applications
that require a dedicated server is really getting shorter every day ...

In this specific case the client wants to build a network of 5-6 sites almost
all them are WP, except one Drupal site, of the 5-6 sites one is really big in
size and receives about 55K-60K visits daily while the rest are mid-size
including a new eCommerce site that is expected to grow fast..

He wants backups, 99.99 SLA at least, fast and responsive sites and the highest security ...

Now I have a dedicated server with the following specs:

Dual xeon E5-2670 V1

32 GB DDR3 RAM

2 × 240 GB SSD

1 Gbit dedicated port

5 usable IPv4

I also have an account on IWSatck that can be upgraded to have 12-15GB of RAM and
10-12 vCores with 200GB SSD Raid 10 storage

With the oldish server I have more resources for nearly the same cost of the IWstack
and it's all mine to split as I wish into 5-6 KVM based VPSs and more bandwidth

On the other hand I have the scalability and I can build my private network including
Load balancers, backup, database server,etc ...

personally I am leaning towards the cloud but I wanted to hear what you think ...

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

I mean, the cloud is more reliable if it's a true cloud so that's a plus

Do you use all the resources on your dedi? If not, then the cloud is a good option too

Let me know thanks

Thanked by 1aboyousef
  • noamannoaman Member

@SSDBlaze said:

Do you use all the resources on your dedi? If not, then the cloud is a good option too

Let me know thanks

Care to explain whats a *tru cloud"?

Thanked by 1aboyousef
  • akhfaakhfa Member

If you are confident about your server management skill, you should choose dedi. If you more prefer more easy management like "cloud panel" and doesn't like to configure your own 'cloud', you should choose cloud from provider...

I more prefer to build my own 'cloud' because it can make me 'learn something' and I have full control about it, of course with good fail-over system...

Thanked by 1aboyousef
  • aboyousef said: with all of the new technologies being applied in the Cloud hosting sector

More like new marketing terms!

Thanked by 1aboyousef

@noaman said:

@SSDBlaze said:

Let me know thanks

In my opinion, a true cloud has RAID storage and is in a HA setup. Of course not all clouds are HA, they are still very reliable.

• @SSDBlaze said:

@noaman said:

@SSDBlaze said:

Let me know thanks

In my opinion, a true cloud has RAID storage and is in a HA setup. Of course not all clouds are HA, they are still very reliable.

So a server with RAID but no HA still considerated as cloud?

@robohost said:

@SSDBlaze said:

@noaman said:

@SSDBlaze said:

Let me know thanks

So a server with RAID but no HA still considerated as cloud?

I don't consider it a cloud but some people do and I respect that. Do you? :)

• aboyousefaboyousef Member
    edited July 2016

@akhfa said:
    If you are confident about your server management skill, you should choose dedi. If you more prefer more easy management like "cloud panel" and doesn't like to configure your own 'cloud', you should choose cloud from provider...

I more prefer to build my own 'cloud' because it can make me 'learn something' and I have full control about it, of course with good fail-over system...

Thanks for the response, this was my thought at first but after analyzing the project

more an more I changed my mind..

Yes it really good to have control over everything and yes with dedi I will

probably learn new something or two but ..

How can I have the same reliability?

How can offer my client high availability ?

How many additional VPSs/Servers Will I need to build a small but as real as possible
    'cloud' ?

Yes I can do it and I will really like to do it but since this a real project, real production

environment for a paying client I have to choose what is more practical and financially

suitable for the client and for myself too ..

with the cloud I will probably need only a DNS server and I already have one with Anycast

(IWStacke does not offer this anymore) and everything else can be created, linked on the

cloud ...

This what I think but still I like to hear your opinions I might change my direction ...

• A cloud environment must be a real HA environment in all aspects with failovers etc etc etc, but we all know that the truth is that 'cloud' is just a marketing term.

Conclusion: you're better off running your sites in your dedicated server, at least you are in control. There is no benefit in running them on the 'cloud' unless you like the word.

Thanked by 1aboyousef
  • @SSDBlaze said:

Let me know thanks

Thanks for your response, as you know normally you do not use %100 of the

dedicated server resources, but even if I do it's still one server in one location

and as I mentioned before, to built a small cloud I will need much much more

Than a single dedicated server.

• @zafouhar said:
    A cloud environment must be a real HA environment in all aspects with failovers etc etc etc, but we all know that the truth is that 'cloud' is just a marketing term.

Conclusion: you're better off running your sites in your dedicated server, at least you are in control. There is no benefit in running them on the 'cloud' unless you like the word.

Thanks for your response, I agree the cloud in 'most' cases is just a marketing term

but some big names (not all of them!) provide what can be described as real cloud

and for me to emulate that even %90 of that will be completely non practical.

I mean to have HA for example, how much resources do I need ? how much time/effort

Do I have to invest in this ? and finally how will this all be translated into an invoice

for the client ?