Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions about Hetzner? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some questions about Hetzner?

2»

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

sad to hear, that this haven't worked out for you as expected, as they use to provide decent performance for the money to say at least...

I have to admit I have never seen auction-servers with young drives as they simply do put their servers of the old product ranges to the market again and won't change anything to the hardware setup unless absolutely neccessary.

it's just a good remarketing option with low work and costs involved. but as a customer you have to be totally aware of, I agree.

after all there have been no costs for you, so you shouldn't be to mad about it ;-)

• TinkuTinku Member

@Falzo yes can't blame hetzner at all because they have given me a free test ride on 2 of their servers at the same time without asking any question to make sure if it works for me.

• DormeoDormeo Member

I will try my luck there soon :)

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2016

@Tinku in my experience with Hetzner there is a reason there is a deal in server bidding. You are not purchasing a new server, but hardware with a good amount of hours on it. In some cases, gently used, in others the opposite. The way they are also able to offer this service is to reuse gear (this is why they charge you setup fees on new servers, this is where they recoup costs of new hardware). In some cases this will mean hard drives with many power on hours, in some cases this might even mean a faulty rig (it sounds more to me like the one server had a bad controller if they put in a new drive and it instantly started reporting issues, that or bad memory). So yes, there is a small amount of risk, but this is also why they give you that period before you pay to review your server, if it doesn't work go ahead and let them know why and cancel, then take a stab at a similar server if available and see if you don't have some better luck.

Remember, you get what you pay for (most of the time), and I think that this is true with Hetzner as well. Pay for the new server with setup fee and that is what you will get... go for a discount at lowest price possible... often there is a reason it is this price.

Sorry to hear about your luck in this case.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• DormeoDormeo Member
    edited July 2016

-

• I have never seen a Core i7 (2600 or 3770) dropping under 26 Euro in their auction.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Dormeo said:
    Right now 94 servers in auction, that mean so many idle machine waiting for use...

Such insight. Much wow.