Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS Question

Quick Question for you guys.

I'm soon going to get a Storage VPS to store files, photos, ISO's etc so that I can access them when I need. I want to be able to upload over FTP. I also would like allow some files to have public access whilst keeping the rest of my files private.

Is this possible? If so, what Linux Distro and Software would I need. It would need to be small as the vps only has 256 MB of memory.

Thanks!

Comments

• J1021J1021 Member

How do you plan to make the files web accessible to others? HTTP/FTP etc?

• david_reiddavid_reid Member
    edited July 2016

@kcaj said:
    How do you plan to make the files web accessible to others? HTTP/FTP etc?

HTTP preferably.

• noamannoaman Member

@david_reid said:
    Quick Question for you guys.

I'm soon going to get a Storage VPS to store files, photos, ISO's etc so that I can access them when I need. I want to be able to upload over FTP. I also would like allow some files to have public access whilst keeping the rest of my files private.

Is this possible? If so, what Linux Distro and Software would I need. It would need to be small as the vps only has 256 MB of memory.

Thanks!

Get a debian server ...with caddy webserver or nginx..

And 256 mb is plenty if its just static files

• tommytommy Member

without 3rd party App 256 more than enough, if you using owncloud, nextcloud etc use 512 MB minimum.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

owncloud, seafile, pydio are all decent options.

• Owncloud, I setup it on Ramnode VPS, with only 256 MB Ram.

• I like Pydio

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

256MB should be sufficient for your usage. Especially when going for an OpenVZ based VPS.
    Owncloud is some sort of 'dying', you might want to check out "nextcloud" :-)

• tommytommy Member

look at OP signature, do some google-fu ;)

I suspect he only interested on SEO-ing his website.

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited July 2016

@tommy said:

Sorry for asking but I thought that was part of the book 'how to make 1 million USD in 100 days using only LET" - can you clarify plz???

• @zafouhar said:

@tommy said:

Sorry for asking but I thought that was part of the book 'how to make 1 million USD in 100 days using only LET" - can you clarify plz???

He just leaked out 10% of this trillion dollar book - can we get the cops over???

• @theroyalstudent said:

@zafouhar said:

@tommy said:

He just leaked out 10% of this trillion dollar book - can we get the cops over???

Exactly... and I was about to add my signature with my 20 affiliate links... and then I was going to open threads asking for suggestions on the best providers. oh well i'll follow the book and wait for tomorrow.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • david_reiddavid_reid Member
    edited July 2016

Trust me guys. I ain't no SEO expert. Absolutely hate SEO..

Plus - Smart Hosting is my favourite company. I recommend and use them in all of my Web Projects.

• more like Fart Hosting

Thanked by 1zafouhar