Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with Hostsolutions.ro
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help with Hostsolutions.ro

HuangLeeHuangLee Member

Hi

I have a VPS with hostsolutions.ro that has been suspended and I'm wondering if anyone can give me a tip or maybe @cociu can also chime in?

2 days ago I was transferring some files (about 10 GB total) from my Hostsolutions-box to another VPS via scp. That transfer wasn't going very fast (about 2 MB/s), but that's what I was usually getting when doing that kind of transfer, so I just let it run (via nohup).
Then I started another transfer via rclone (about 15 GB of data, to Google Drive). I was happy to see that one going pretty fast (23 MB/s).
So I just let these 2 run, but then after a few minutes, the box suddenly shut down and was suspended for bandwidth abuse.

I immediately opened a ticket with Hostsolution's support. I wrote that I apologize if I did anything wrong, my intention was not to cause trouble and I'd like to solve this. But I haven't heard anything back since.

What do you guys think?
Is it possible that Hostsolutions has set up bandwidth limits for scp / ssh data-transfers and I was kind of circumventing them by using rclone, which got me suspended?
(For the record, I was at 8% of my monthly bandwidth)
If so and if this is truly considered abuse, then I could limit the transfer-speed on rclone in the future by using the appropriate parameter. I would just need to know to what that limit should be. :)

Thanks!

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2016

@cociu will surely chime in, but whatever the outcome his - Hide your mother and your sister (if you have any) as a precaution. Seriously. This is a well-meant advice.

• Must a be mistake, I'm sure LowEndSupport will join this thread shortly.

Thanked by 2Maounique zafouhar
  • racksxracksx Member

Maybe, before start such transfer, let them know, so they cannot suspend you.

• AmitzAmitz Member

racksx said: Maybe, before start such transfer, let them know, so they cannot suspend you.

I would have lots to do if I would have to notify my providers of any 10-50 GB transfer in advance... ;-)

• @racksx said:
    Maybe, before start such transfer, let them know, so they cannot suspend you.

Opening a support ticket to say "Hey guys, I'm gonna start a transfer now" each time before doing that would be quite cumbersome. :) And I'm sure their support staff has better things to do.

I would much rather know what is allowed and what isn't. I wouldn't have thought what I did is considered abuse. But I can live with limitations, as long as I know what exactly the limits are.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

25 MB/s = 200 Mbps. For a port of 1 gbps fair share should not be much, 1/4 or so of the realistic transfer rate. We warn people above 40k pps, traffic is usually not a problem, i only suspended once for 800 mbps upload of a mad torrenter which was causing "pocket" loss.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • racksxracksx Member

@HuangLee said:

You are running a VPS not a dedicated, which the main node may be connected to 100Mbps not 1Gbit, so if you start using 30-50Mb/s they pretty sure won't be happy with that, but by telling them ahead, they can limit your connection and protect the rest of users of fair usage.

• True, that could be.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

racksx said: the main node may be connected to 100Mbps not 1Gbit

That is very low and also would not allow 25 MB/s which is in excess of the real wirespeed of 1 Gbps port.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@Maounique said:
    25 MB/s = 200 Mbps. For a port of 1 gbps fair share should not be much, 1/4 or so of the realistic transfer rate. We warn people above 40k pps, traffic is usually not a problem, i only suspended once for 800 mbps upload of a mad torrenter which was causing "pocket" loss.

But we are talking about the guy here who brags that he is untouchable by DMCA and encourages torrenting on his vps, so I guess bandwidth should never be a problem?

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • edited July 2016

From another provider, I could transfer 50Gb data or more without problem.

Is this package for storage vps? Or the download were a test file like a speedtest or lookingglass which run continuously every x second?

We need another side of story from cociu

• ATHKATHK Member

@Maounique said:

I hate that damn pocket loss.

• Welcome to LowEndHelpDesk. Your call is important to us, please wait while i attempt to connect you to an agent...

Your patience is appreciated, unfortunately all agents are currently busy, you will be forwarded to our voice mail box and one of our agents will attempt to call you back as soon as possible.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said:
    From another provider, I could transfer 50Gb data or more without problem.

Is this package for storage vps? Or the download were a test file like a speedtest or lookingglass which run continuously every x second?

We need another side of story from cociu

The package I'm using is the 20 euro/yr Openvz, 256mb ram, 80gb disk, 2tb traffic special, as referred to in this thread, for example.

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • cociucociu Member
    edited July 2016

Hello Guys, thanks all for give a @cociu here because Sunday i have my WEDDING so these days i am bussy. sorry @Nekki but .... i am old man yet and need to do this step in my live

• cociucociu Member

So , is true , our script give a suspend for bandwich abuse and i think 200 mbps durring MANY minutes is more than resonable because is a cheap service with a shared 1gbps port speed. I will not blame the client because in this case we are not verry specified and more in our tos not comming nothing about this. About the tiket time @HuangLee i apologise personally because this days we working hard to improove our network and we are full. I will unsuspend the vps and when you will upload/download huge file try to set the speed at 150mbps-199mbps (not rich 200mbps will not be a problem)

• cociucociu Member
    edited July 2016

Amitz said: Amitz

About sisters ... not anymore i have my wedding Sunday !

Thanked by 2inthecloudblog Amitz
  • cociucociu Member

tr1cky said: But we are talking about the guy here who brags that he is untouchable by DMCA and encourages torrenting on his vps, so I guess bandwidth should never be a problem?

you need to understand what is a abuse or permit torrents/dmca/copyright.

• HuangLeeHuangLee Member
    edited July 2016

@cociu said:
    So , is true , our script give a suspend for bandwich abuse and i think 200 mbps durring MANY minutes is more than resonable because is a cheap service with a shared 1gbps port speed. I will not blame the client because in this case we are not verry specified and more in our tos not comming nothing about this. About the tiket time @HuangLee i apologise personally because this days we working hard to improove our network and we are full. I will unsuspend the vps and when you will upload/download huge file try to set the speed at 150mbps-199mbps (not rich 200mbps will not be a problem)

Got it, thanks for unsuspending it, @cociu !

In the future I'll stick to a maximum of 10 MBytes/sec (80 Mbit/sec), that should be no problem, right?

And congratulations to your wedding, all my best wishes! ;)

• cociucociu Member

HuangLee said: maximum of 10 MBytes/sec (80 Mbit/sec

you can use burst unlimited , but when is passing about +10 min try to stay in less 200mbps to not have influence with another users. Thanks for your wish

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I understand, no problem.
    Since my transfers usually tend to take longer than 10 minutes, I'll stick to 10 MBytes/sec. That's plenty and everybody's happy. :)

Thanks!

• ATHKATHK Member

Happy ending YAY!

• IshaqIshaq Member

@cociu

Wouldn't it be better to traffic shape instead of suspend for high bandwidth utilization?

That sounds like a better solution to me :)

• @cociu said:
    Hello Guys, thanks all for give a @cociu here because Sunday i have my WEDDING so these days i am bussy. sorry @Nekki but .... i am old man yet and need to do this step in my live

Congrats!