Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would you consider as off-shore?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What would you consider as off-shore?

EpTicOfficialEpTicOfficial Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hello LowEndTalk,

I was wondering what you lot would consider as an 'off-shore' VPS.
I've heard that Germany is commonly known as an off-shore country but I'm not too sure.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
EpTic

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

International waters

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

You have 'DMCA' listed as one of your tags so if by "offshore" you mean "ignores copyright violations" then the only real "offshore" country is Iran because they're about the only country that isn't a signatory to international copyright laws. Germany and every other European country have copyright laws that are just as strict as the US.

• Obviously it depends on your geographical location. All VPS are off-shore to me!

• No, just no.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

If I can reach it on foot then it's not offshore.

If I have to swim there it's offshore.

• MrXMrX Member

It depends on what you consider offshore. If we're talking about things like DMCA, Iran is pretty offshore.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2013

Sealand

• @MrX That's what I thought. Iran is a good place.

• Ecatel, CyberBunker or datacenter inside a sattelite!

• @BronzeByte said: datacenter inside a sattelite

I've always wondered how dmca etc. would work for that... wouldn't the jurisdiction apply to the "base station" country?

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2013

@jarland said: International waters

That pretty much includes the entire planet.

Offshore to me is anywhere which does not respect international copyright laws, so that's just Iran, Sealand or on a Satellite. Although the US has threatened to shoot down satellites.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Iran, Iraq, Nauru, Somalia, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu...and Kiribati, though perhaps not for long-term archival storage since that country's land will someday vanish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_parties_to_international_copyright_agreements

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Lebanon :p pretty sure they don't have internet laws at all. They barely have electricity.

• I would say Iran and get a VPS from r0ute.com if you need a provider.

• mahjongmahjong Member
    edited March 2013

North Korea? (at least they say that's the place where piratebay moved)

• KrisKris Member
    edited March 2013

Yeah - you'll be doin' a whole lot of offshore hosting... In a van, down by the river.

...with 4G Clear.

Lithuania comes to mind in terms of DMCA.

Nice little post-soviet territory that's known for worse things than a knock-off purse website.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Kris said: In a van, down by the river.

If I didn't like you before, I do now.

• Space? :)

• Russia...

• @EpTicOfficial said: I was wondering what you lot would consider as an 'off-shore'

Mars.

• GaNiGaNi Member

Voxility, RO.

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2013

@Oliver said: If I have to swim there it's offshore.

So in the summer Germany's offshore, in the winter Australia?

In all reality, I'd say Netherlands, Romania, and Russia. I'd LOVE to see something in Morocco, which is a stable state without an extradition pathway to America.

• @Rallias said: Romania

The ISP's here really like torrents, a few years ago they used to give every subscriber a CD with oDC on it, that would automatically connect to a local network.

• @Bogdacutuu said: The ISP's here really like torrents, a few years ago they used to give every subscriber a CD with oDC on it, that would automatically connect to a local network.

In Lithuania the ISP Balticum still has a huge FTP full of warez that customers can access.

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited March 2013

Ping :( --> Timeout :( every Request..

M.

• @MikeIn you need to increase your timeout, the RTT is about 8 minutes i think ;-)

• KrisKris Member
    edited March 2013

@raindog308 said: Somalia

I've heard of rack-mount servers, but never raft-mount.

I'll see myself out.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

@Rallias said: So in the summer Germany's offshore, in the winter Australia?

Yes! Exactly! :-)

@Kris said: I've heard of rack-mount servers, but never raft-mount.

I laughed.

• Must be hosted in the middle of the ocean or a body of water, on a boat.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

On the moon.