Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMWare/VirtualBox Providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMWare/VirtualBox Providers

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Any within LET pricing?

I need to run a custom OVA image, hipchat one.

Comments

• sandrosandro Member

Arubaclould but I'm not sure about custom.images

• mount the ova image in recovery mode within virtualbox

dd it over to any provider who supports recovery mode (just about any kvm provider) + boot from disk/custom kernel

done.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@sandro said:
    Arubaclould but I'm not sure about custom.images

Yep, not sure if they support custom images.

Thanks sandro!

@Jonchun said:
    mount the ova image in recovery mode within virtualbox

dd it over to any provider who supports recovery mode (just about any kvm provider) + boot from disk/custom kernel

done.

Certainly an idea. But... Don't want to lose all that time.

In the meantime instead of HipChat, I'm considering Rocket.chat, it looks much better.

• Adding over a disk image will take you a couple hours assuming your network isnt complete crap. And its not like you have to monitor it. If you had done that right away instead of looking around for le* priced providers, you would be done already...

• DamianDamian Member

Virtualbox has some unique properties (like incomplete API, have to buy an add-on license if you want to give your users a console, etc) that make it rather non-conducive to selling hosting. You would be best looking for just vmware host instead.

@Jonchun said:
    Adding over a disk image will take you a couple hours assuming your network isnt complete crap. And its not like you have to monitor it. If you had done that right away instead of looking around for le* priced providers, you would be done already...

Actually I'm multi task... But installing virtualbox etc, too much hassle.

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2016

@MrGeneral said:

@Jonchun said:
    Adding over a disk image will take you a couple hours assuming your network isnt complete crap. And its not like you have to monitor it. If you had done that right away instead of looking around for le* priced providers, you would be done already...

As I understand Rocket.chat does not need virtualization you can install it straight to a Centos 6 or 7, Debian, Ubuntu, Windows...., so any VPS will do it

• BradNDBradND Member

Virtual box isn't production ready and doesn't share many of the features vmware has. Either use vmware or stop being lazy and install the software yourself?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    Thanked by 1MikePT
  • SadySady Member

You can easily convert ova image to kvm raw. I did the same for kali linux's image, however you'll have to ask your provider to handle taking care of mounting raw image to your server.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • SadySady Member
    edited July 2016

BTW how pricing looks for self hosted hipchat?
    Also did you consider Slack?

• camargcamarg Member

Hipchat is quite heavy. You'll need at least 4GB of RAM and a good CPU. Don't waste your time trying to host it on anything less than that.

I would recommend to host it locally first, just to see whether you like it or not.

@vpsrus said:

@MrGeneral said:

@Jonchun said:

As I understand Rocket.chat does not need virtualization you can install it straight to a Centos 6 or 7, Debian, Ubuntu, Windows...., so any VPS will do it

It was for HipChat.

Nice! Interesting project!
    Will evaluate.

@Sady said:
    You can easily convert ova image to kvm raw. I did the same for kali linux's image, however you'll have to ask your provider to handle taking care of mounting raw image to your server.

Yes, for sure, but right now I think I'm not even going with HipChat...

@camarg said:
    Hipchat is quite heavy. You'll need at least 4GB of RAM and a good CPU. Don't waste your time trying to host it on anything less than that.

I would recommend to host it locally first, just to see whether you like it or not.

I have been evaluating Rocket.Chat, looks better, tho.