Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raspberry Pi's and VPN's
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raspberry Pi's and VPN's

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited March 2013 in General

That is what people want:

My Piwik's stats for yesterday, sorted by page title. It's been like this for over three months. People want small computers and VPN's. And some want configuration management and email backup...

I have loads of tutorials, articles and software which all have more time and passion into them than these three most populair articles. Why is it just these three?
(The raspberry Pi list wasn't even planned, it was requested by a co-worker. )

BTW, (Free hosted piwik provided by me!)

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@Raymii said: Why is it just these three?

Because SEXY.

New article idea for you: Setting up a VPN using your Raspberry Pi.

• Nah, it's just me keep opening those VPN articles the last few days. Still failing to have a VPN server. I guess the PPP in my server is not working, even if theres a button in solus.

• @DalComp said: Nah, it's just me keep opening those VPN articles the last few days. Still failing to have a VPN server. I guess the PPP in my server is not working, even if theres a button in solus.

What is the result of pppd?

• @rm_ said: New article idea for you: Setting up a VPN using your Raspberry Pi.

Would be a nice idea, hope the Ubuntu tutorial works in the Raspbian ARM version... Would save a lot of work...

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited March 2013

@Bogdacutuu said: What is the result of pppd?

Couldn't open the /dev/ppp device: No such file or directory
    WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
    FATAL: Module ppp_generic not found.
    pppd: You need to create the /dev/ppp device node by
    executing the following command as root:
            mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0

Also, output from cat /dev/ppp

cat: /dev/ppp: No such file or directory

It's 128MB OpenVZ.

• vedranvedran Veteran
    pppd: You need to create the /dev/ppp device node by
    executing the following command as root:
            mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0

Have you tried that?

• @DalComp said: cat: /dev/ppp: No such file or directory

If you've already enabled PPP from SolusVM, contact your provider so that they can fix it :)

• Running hamachi on the pi. No port forwarding setup required and runs smooth

• Hamachi? The horrible software that doesn't respect internet standards and doesn't let you access significant portions of the internet (i.e. the 5.0.0.0/8 range)?
    Sounds like a bad idea :)

• PPP still needs loading on the hardware node, i think some providers think that just clicking that button turns it on, when all that button does is configure the container in question for PPP, it doesn't load the required modules etc.

• @rds100 that's been resolved, no more 5.*

• @bdtech glad to hear it :) What do they use now? 10.* ?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@rds100 said: The horrible software that doesn't respect internet standards and doesn't let you access significant portions of the internet (i.e. the 5.0.0.0/8 range)?

@bdtech said: that's been resolved, no more 5.*

They now squatter 25.0.0.0/8 instead. :D

inetnum: 25.0.0.0 — 25.255.255.255
    descr: DINSA, Ministry of Defence, United Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamachi_(software)#Addressing

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited March 2013

@rm_ haha :) Well, i guess the UK ministry of defense has no intentions of globally routing or returning this netblock for now.

• you can also install openVPN on a raspberrypi so why use hamachi...

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=20916

• bdtechbdtech Member
    edited March 2013

@Vladorz don't you have to open ports? Hamach upnp anywhere. Also just clients no openVPN to babysit and secure