Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the best Debian repo for VPS in U.S. ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the best Debian repo for VPS in U.S. ?

CoolMoonCoolMoon Member
edited March 2013 in General

Maybe it's hard to define the "best", but what's the most popular/common repo besides the official mirrors?

Is anyone willing to share his "sources.list" file? Thanks

Comments

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2013

Debain 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2, 6.0.3, 6.0.4, 6.0.5, 6.0.6 and of course 6.0.7. Then there is Debian 7.0 RC1 (very popular with the "Testing" crowd) and those of us who are really adventurous are running "Sid", which unfortunately doesn't have a version number.

Never mind, I misunderstood the question. I would just test a few mirrors closer to you and see which one is downloading packages the fastest. Or are you looking for something else?

• I use the normal one :P
    But there are a couple of scripts to benchmark this.

Anyway, for my personal boxes I never download more than some hundred megs of debs, so is irrelevant, the official mirrors do the job fine.

• dotdeb is a favorite of mine

also, check out
    https://sites.google.com/site/mydebiansourceslist/

• @texteditor said: dotdeb is a favorite of mine

Yep, if he means 3rd party repos, dotdeb is the perfect one for the LNMP stack.

• The official ones are "stable" but seems way too "out of date" in terms of package versions...I wonder if there is any other choices which balance the stability and up-to-date. I am not always looking for the latest version including the unstable ones, just want to keep up with the latest stable ones a little bit.

• DotDeb, again xD

And apparently the backports repo (oficial) has some cool recent packages.

• @yomero said: And apparently the backports repo (oficial) has some cool recent packages.

this.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

dotdeb is good.