Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Community Server for Low Cost VPS for Everyone! Now there is an idea! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Community Server for Low Cost VPS for Everyone! Now there is an idea!

Comments

• Why not Colocrossing as DC? Makes it more fun :)

• @marcm Can you start it? And share experience later.

• hyaohyao Member

jcalbe said: @marcm Can you start it? And share experience later.

Guess we'll need enough people to sign up here before @marcm starts it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Wouldn't be educational if it was a provider running it, then it'd just be bluevm's quarter servers ;)

• marcmmarcm Member

@jcaleb said: @marcm Can you start it? And share experience later.

@jcaleb - That would defeat the purpose of this exercise because I am a provider and the hole point was for non-providers to get this project going on their own.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@marcm said: This requires only 42 members for it to pay for itself

@marcm said: they could vote and choose an Administrator and a Vice Administrator amongst them. They could elect them every 3 months or so.

@marcm said: I really think that this could work.

I think you are damaged in the head a little and that you post such deranged bullshit while happily flying your provider name/link in your sig, makes me vary of even touching anything related to your services with a ten foot pole. Oblig. smilie follows:
    :-)

• marcmmarcm Member

@rm_ said: I think you are damaged in the head a little and that you post such deranged bullshit while happily fying your provider name/link in your sig, makes me vary of even touching anything related to your services with a ten foot pole. Oblig. smilie follows:

:-)

@rm_ - You are missing the point. I am sorry that you are not a very intelligent person, and if it makes you feel better I can tell you this: it's not your fault. My advice? Just move along and forget about this thread.

• @rm_ said: I think you are damaged in the head a little and that you post such deranged bullshit while happily fying your provider name/link in your sig, makes me vary of even touching anything related to your services with a ten foot pole. Oblig. smilie follows:

Somehow, you were able to read my mind. I just dont have the guts to say these myself.

Ah come on guys, Marc is a good guy ;)

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2013

Thank you @jarland. You are awesome as well and most likely the best person around here. I really appreciate your comments, and while I very rarely reply, I read most of them. I had a few hours to browse around this evening while working on a VPS and I thought that this would actually be a fun project for some people here to try out.
    Common @jcaleb, I used to think very highly of you. I always knew that @rm_ was an immature prick, however I thought that you where one of the most intelligent people around here. I am sorry that I was wrong about you. Anyway, thank you for letting me know how you feel about me, sometimes insight like this is very helpful. There is no point in sweeping hate for someone under the rug, just let it all out, it's liberating. You and @rm_ need to take this with a sense of humor and for what it is. Then again you know what they say about people who lack a sense of humor...

• Sorry boss

• marcmmarcm Member

@jcaleb - It's okay "boss". Do you feel better now that you've let it all out or is there anything that you would like to add?

• Well it's fun to try to be sarcastic from time to time. I'm usually non-confrontational. Only child, you know. I'm scared to death to do debates and all

• marcmmarcm Member

@jcaleb said: Well it's fun to try to be sarcastic from time to time. I'm usually non-confrontational. Only child, you know. I'm scared to death to do debates and all

@jcaleb - I have a younger brother (he works with me on different projects, and he is on our web site as well). I basically raised him. I am very non confrontational, but most importantly I don't hate. I simply don't hate anyone and take people like they are. Sure, it's fun to push buttons and aggravate a person when you see that they get agitated about some nonsense, but the bottom line is that I am a pretty zen person. In real life I get along with everyone and try to be helpful where I can.

As far as this thread is concerned it was meant to be funny, maybe make a few people laugh but it also had to contain a grain of truth. I got the idea after seeing so many ask for allot and wanting to pay almost nothing, or even more absurdly I saw the the other thread that was started by @darknessends about how he wants a cheap VPS so that he can pirate movies. I mean if you want to do things like that, just get your own dedicated server and deal with the consequences on your own, right? Anyway, I think that you pretty much got the picture as far as I am concerned.

• @marcm said: That would defeat the purpose of this exercise because I am a provider and the hole point was for non-providers to get this project going on their own.

It's called a summer host and either dies or gets sold after 3 months...

We should find a way to harness the summer host for the benefit of everyone. Contract to provide services, set their prices for them, promise to take over their clients when they bail ;)

• @marcm said: I am very non confrontational, but most importantly I don't hate.

I tremble boss just the thought of starting an argument, even if the other person is 10,000 miles away from me.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@jarland said: We should find a way to harness the summer host for the benefit of everyone. Contract to provide services, set their prices for them, promise to take over their clients when they bail ;)

There's something called branding/having multiple brand, summer hosts don't tend to be very unique...

• marcmmarcm Member

@jcaleb said: I tremble boss just the thought of starting an argument, even if the other person is 10,000 miles away from me.

@jcaleb - You might be the exception here because most people feel extremely safe and anonymous behind their keyboard. I'm amazed at how many Keyboard-Rambos I see online, @rm_ included. That being said, I don't like to argue, period! So, what do you say @jcaleb, friends?

@jarland and @BronzeByte - all joking aside, it's supposed to be a community project without any provider involvement. Why am I insisting on it? Because I see so many who think they know better, so I want for them to have a chance to prove themselves.

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

@marcm said: Because I see so many who think they know better, so I want for them to have a chance to prove themselves.

It's not a fucking game, learn to deal with the arrogant people, they will always be there to backstab you with argumets when something goes wrong.

• @marcm said: @jcaleb, friends?

or provider. Your 1GB KVM offer is too tempting.

Calm down Britney.

• dnomdnom Member

The way it's marketed for "needy complainers" makes me not want to be the "leader." The only way I think this might work if the server is very very cheap.

• marcmmarcm Member

@BronzeByte said: It's not a fucking game, learn to deal with the arrogant people, they will always be there to backstab you with argumets when something goes wrong.

@BronzeByte - Actually I wasn't thinking of the arrogant people, just people in general. And I wasn't definitively thinking about me. And I definitively don't think of this as a game. However it is hard to gauge how a person thinks, let alone feels, over a forum. I just wanted for some folks to experience first hand how life is on both sides of the isle so to speak.

• @marcm The idea is interesting to be honest. To translate it into a real world situation, I'd just say it's like a class of 42 students trying to collectively buy something that will be used by everyone in the class and they need to support each other financially, have elected people like class monitors to keep things in check and all.

However, because this is so much similar to a real world scenario, have you every seen what a mess it is to organize a class-thingy without a leader, and even with a good leader, what kind of mess it usually turns out into? Mess worthy of plenty of popcorn.

My honest opinion, idea is sound definitely, it can work, but it won't in LET. Getting 2 people in LET to share the same wavelength is already difficult enough, now you want 42 people to work together on this? I think 42 kids in high school would do better than 42 adults in LET.

• @Kenshin said: My honest opinion, idea is sound definitely, it can work, but it won't in LET. Getting 2 people in LET to share the same wavelength is already difficult enough, now you want 42 people to work together on this? I think 42 kids in high school would do better than 42 adults in LET.

IMO the real problem is that you can't make sure that everyone will pay (unless you make everyone pay in advance, and even that's shady)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@marcm said: I am sorry that you are not a very intelligent person

@marcm said: I always knew that @rm_ was an immature prick

@marcm said: you know what they say about people who lack a sense of humor

@marcm said: how many Keyboard-Rambos I see online, @rm_ included

Wow you are a piece of work, all it takes is one witty remark to cause you go throwing feces and mentioning me like five times by now in various insults in your every post. Sorry but I fail to see how you are "a good guy" and "don't hate". Speaking of which, usually those who brag that about themselves are the ones most wicked. And just FYI my sentiment from the previous post is shared by many more than @jcaleb (thanks :D), a number of people messaged me cheering about that post, it's only here everyone wants to be "nice" to you and perhaps not "hurt your feelings" or something :D

I'll volunteer to perform system administration but on the idea that it is purely democratic and I only perform actions that have been agreed upon by the relevant parties. You get to be the decision makers, you have a capable and trustworthy admin, and you still have to learn the same lessons just without learning how to make iptables bow to your will.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited March 2013

@Kenshin - You and @jarland and a few others got the idea. It's all about teaching collaboration and getting people to be respectful towards each other. I've been in college 10 years ago, and I'm back in school again and I can tell you that collaboration can be difficult, but not impossible. You are right, the idea is sound in theory, however it will be difficult to implement. But if it would actually happen, I strongly believe that it would give the participants a better idea of what a provider deals with.

@jarland - If anyone then you would be the right person for the job!

@rm_ - I know that you enjoy attention allot. From a distance you may look like a Keyboard-Rambo-Hero-Wannabe, but if one looks closer one will see you for what you really are: a Troll. And I'm not talking about the midget sized creature, but the Internet Troll that just gets into discussions on threads trying to piss somebody off. And trust me, no one has ever had an issue on LET telling me openly how they feel about me. I think that 4chan.org would be a more suitable place for you since that's a popular hang out for all sorts of Trolls. If you are not a Troll then just let this thread be and move on, it's not like this is getting in your way or anything like that. In other words I'm sure that you will be fine if you don't post here anymore. Not that anyone could stop you of course...

• @marcm said: But if it would actually happen, I strongly believe that it would give the participants a better idea of what a provider deals with.

But at $7, I'd rather pay monthly and hop around providers than try to work with 41 other people to make it work. :) If I need to scream, I scream at 1 guy (provider), instead of 41 other people, much much easier.