Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i7-3770 or E3-1245
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

i7-3770 or E3-1245

gurugrvgurugrv Member

As the title suggests, which server should I opt for ? The one with i7-3770 or an E3-1245. All other specifications are same and the price point is similar too. Please help with your suggestions.

Comments

• fxffxf Member

Do you know what you'll use the server for? If so, what features / speed / etc. do you value most in CPUs for your use case? Then, make a decision based off of that. If you can't decide on your own, I'm gonna guess you don't care about ECC ram (the i7-3770 doesn't support it, the E3-1245 does). Just get whichever is cheapest.

• gurugrvgurugrv Member
    edited July 2016

@fxf said:

The server will be only used to host wordpress and other websites. A few of those wordpress sites have huge traffic.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2016

E3-1245 because (hopefully) ECC-RAM. The i7 is a bit faster though.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • fxffxf Member

@gurugrv said:

>

Just get whichever is cheapest.

• E3 1245 (Hetzner?)

• myhkenmyhken Member

I have one i7-3770 and one E3-1245v2 @Hetzner and I have had them for 1.5 years now. No issues with any of them, running several virtual machines on them all the time. And both my servers @home is running i5 and i7, again packed with virtual machines, no issues at all. So I really don't see the need for ECC RAM.

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited July 2016

@myhken said:
    I have one i7-3770 and one E3-1245v2 @Hetzner and I have had them for 1.5 years now. No issues with any of them, running several virtual machines on them all the time. And both my servers @home is running i5 and i7, again packed with virtual machines, no issues at all. So I really don't see the need for ECC RAM.

Do you host any big database on the i7 server?

• JarryJarry Member

@myhken said:
    ...So I really don't see the need for ECC RAM.

If you can live with 1-2 unrecoverable errors per dimm every month of uptime, hoping it does not happen in critical part of memory, then you really do not need ECC RAM...

For all the rest: I would not recommend using any consumer-grade hw (be it cpu, ram, disk, psu, etc) for server. Those things are not designed to work 24/7...

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

It just depends on the application .Is this critical or casual ? If critical level,go from e3 otherwise i7 with non ecc ram work