Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Colo Wheels! ColoCrossing Managed IT Services in Buffalo - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Colo Wheels! ColoCrossing Managed IT Services in Buffalo

13»

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jbiloh said:

ATHK said: Mind if I ask how much? Did they print and wrap?

They did the design, print, and wrap. Total was about $1600. There were other less expensive places, but we feel good about who we picked.

Prices for stuff like this in our area are more expensive than say in Florda, where the same job could have been done for half the price.

That's damn expensive, we'd do 2 cars for that price, at least. And I mean, full cars, not only that area :P

@Jacob said:
    IMHO that's brill.

I had recently been inquiring to get my 355 (weekend car) wrapped and all the quotes have been on excess of £1500, even for plain matte wraps.

@jbiloh said:

They did the design, print, and wrap. Total was about $1600. There were other less expensive places, but we feel good about who we picked.

Prices for stuff like this in our area are more expensive than say in Florda, where the same job could have been done for half the price.

Come to Portugal, and we'll do a full car for 800 EUR. Or we can go there if you pay the flight tickets! :P

• @MrGeneral said:

@jbiloh said:

That's damn expensive, we'd do 2 cars for that price, at least. And I mean, full cars, not only that area :P

@Jacob said:
    IMHO that's brill.

I had recently been inquiring to get my 355 (weekend car) wrapped and all the quotes have been on excess of £1500, even for plain matte wraps.

@jbiloh said:

Come to Portugal, and we'll do a full car for 800 EUR. Or we can go there if you pay the flight tickets! :P

How much of the price is the material cost, not including labor?

• pcanpcan Member

@jbiloh: Glad to see that this type of IT support services are in strong demand at your place. Our parent company operated a IT support service until 2010, but the management discovered that other related services gives better returns; they closed down the operation and relocated the people to the new venture.

One of the most successful services was the remote disaster recovery backup with onsite on-demand delivery of the restored data. This is something still not widely available at affordable prices. On the technical side this is very simple: the backup target is on the datacenter, on a hard drive (or RAID) dedicated to the customer. If the customer server is stolen/compromised/broken, the technician pull out the drive from the datacenter server, put it into a spare server, jump in the car, and drive it to the customer site. The service was sold in several ways ans saved the day for some small business owners/IT managers. It also generated some hardware sales. On the enterprise side, IBM is offering this exact service (at least for the RISC-based servers) but with luxury prices.

Thanked by 1netomx

@ManofServer said:

@MrGeneral said:

@jbiloh said:

@Jacob said:
    IMHO that's brill.

@jbiloh said:

How much of the price is the material cost, not including labor?

I cannot tell you the numbers, as it's part of our core business, but I'd say that, bubble free vinyl is pretty expensive. Can be up to 25 eur m2.

As for labor, it's usually around 40% profit.

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

If you see man driving a Buffalo whip
    No IPv6, leaning back
    See man driving a Buffalo whip
    Look like a baller, IPs and that

In all seriousness, nice wrap. Not terrible prices for NY State.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

In the bay area full wraps around $3-4k

@shovenose said:

Wooo, damn that is expensive. Even a truck wouldn't cost half of that here

• ATHKATHK Member

@MrGeneral said:

@shovenose said:

You have to be more specific for those Americans ;) a truck isn't what you think it is in their language.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@MrGeneral said:

@shovenose said:

In Amsterdam I paid about 2700 euro for a full clearbra wrap. Expensive but worth the money if you want to keep your car in tip top shape.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

vfuse said: In Amsterdam I paid about 2700 euro for a full clearbra wrap. Expensive but worth the money if you want to keep your car in tip top shape.

How has it held up to washing?

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@jbiloh said:

vfuse said: In Amsterdam I paid about 2700 euro for a full clearbra wrap. Expensive but worth the money if you want to keep your car in tip top shape.

Held up great for a little more than 4 years, power washing was no problem at all. I had the car Car was stolen in March and is in Ghana now no idea how it will take the heat over there ;)

edited July 2016

@MrGeneral said:

@shovenose said:

Everything is expensive here. Though, about $1800 won't get you much of a truck here - I sold my 1995 Suburban 4x4 for that much. A nicely optioned new diesel SIlverado crew cab is $50K anywhere in the US, but a 20 year old Suburban with a bad intake manifold gasket is still worth $1800 :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@shovenose said:

@MrGeneral said:

@shovenose said:

Everything is expensive here. Though, about $1800 won't get you much of a truck here - I sold my 1995 Suburban 4x4 for that much. A nicely optioned new diesel SIlverado crew cab is $50K anywhere in the US, but a 20 year old Suburban with a bad intake manifold gasket is still worth $1800 :P

you love to burn gas, my friend. I have a Tacoma 2013 V6 and I cry whenever I fill the tank hahaha

edited July 2016

@netomx said:

@shovenose said:

@MrGeneral said:

@shovenose said:

you love to burn gas, my friend. I have a Tacoma 2013 V6 and I cry whenever I fill the tank hahaha

I think you need the new diesel Colorado you will get really good MPG: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33117&id=37120

But I think my next vehicle is going to have a 7.4L V8 :D

@shovenose said:

@netomx said:

@shovenose said:

@MrGeneral said:

@shovenose said:

I think you need the new diesel Colorado you will get really good MPG: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=33117&id=37120

Nah, my next one is gonna be a Mercedes. I cry but that's normal in me, I hate spending money haha

edited July 2016

@netomx said:

@shovenose said:

@netomx said:

@shovenose said:

@MrGeneral said:

@shovenose said:

Nah, my next one is gonna be a Mercedes. I cry but that's normal in me, I hate spending money haha

Mercedes? Lol have fun with that overpriced unreliable plastic junk! And that's coming from a German!

I'm not going to hate on you for having a Tacoma because it's not a boring car-shaped object like everything else Toyota makes, and they are very reliable, but buy American for your next car/truck/SUV. GM's trucks and SUVs have always been fantastic) , but their cars and crossovers have come a lot way from where they were 5-10 years ago, and newer Fords are great too (minus crappy automatic transmissions in the Focus/Fiesta).

Personally how it looks and how big it is, is more important than MPG.

• Looks very nice ... although I'm hoping one of the other vehicles is something like a ColoCrossing branded Ducati 1199 Panigale ;)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MrGeneral said: You're invited to visit our office/store! :)

I prefer to follow your activities during your webcam sessions :-)

shovenose said: buy American for your next car/truck/SUV.

You'd have to be mentally ill to buy an American car.

shovenose said:GM's trucks and SUVs have always been fantastic

You can't be serious. I've owned a half-dozen of them (made in the 70s/80s/90s) and they were all junk.

GM designs poorly, engineers poorly, and builds poorly. I grew up in Michigan and knew many auto workers, and I would not recommend buying an American car made by UAW labor.

My wife's GM gives me 100x more problems than my Volvo, despite the fact that it's younger. Every little thing that could break has broken. (Of course, my Volvo was made before Ford bought and ruined that brand). Every time we take it in, the mechanic (a GM dealer!) shakes his head and says "yeah, that's $1000...they didn't design this very well when they..."

I travel a lot and always rent something I've never driven before. GM's products are the WORST. I'm driving cars with 4,000 miles and plastic knobs are falling off. Dashboard layouts are clumsy. Engine quit once on me - just ridiculous stuff for new cars. Had an Impala last week...the cruise control had a "+" and "-" button. You'd think you'd hit "+" to set cruise control, but it's actually "-". I found this out through trial and error because the paint on the "-" button had worn off...and the car had 3,000 miles.

The Chevy I had last month had a giant Chevrolet logo on the dashboard electronics screen that you could NOT turn off - whoever buys that car is going to looking at something that looks like a MySpace logo in a few years.

That's the GM experience - poor ergo design and poor quality control. All American cars are bad, but GM's are the worst.

And we won't even go into the fact that the Pontiac sports car division used to sell a minivan or that huge portions of GM's lineup are just the same car endlessly rebadged.

shovenose said: newer Fords are great too (minus crappy automatic transmissions in the Focus/Fiesta)

If you put a gun to my head and made me buy American, I'd by a Ford. But even then, I'd prefer Japanese.

I admit I've never driven GM trucks. Maybe they're better. But even if GM made FANTASTIC cars and trucks I wouldn't buy one. The taxpayers had to pay to bailout their union - you know, MY money - so screw 'em.

Thanked by 1MikePT
    edited July 2016

@raindog308 said:

shovenose said: buy American for your next car/truck/SUV.

You'd have to be mentally ill to buy an American car.

shovenose said:GM's trucks and SUVs have always been fantastic

You can't be serious. I've owned a half-dozen of them (made in the 70s/80s/90s) and they were all junk.

GM designs poorly, engineers poorly, and builds poorly. I grew up in Michigan and knew many auto workers, and I would not recommend buying an American car made by UAW labor.

My wife's GM gives me 100x more problems than my Volvo, despite the fact that it's younger. Every little thing that could break has broken. (Of course, my Volvo was made before Ford bought and ruined that brand). Every time we take it in, the mechanic (a GM dealer!) shakes his head and says "yeah, that's $1000...they didn't design this very well when they..."

I travel a lot and always rent something I've never driven before. GM's products are the WORST. I'm driving cars with 4,000 miles and plastic knobs are falling off. Dashboard layouts are clumsy. Engine quit once on me - just ridiculous stuff for new cars. Had an Impala last week...the cruise control had a "+" and "-" button. You'd think you'd hit "+" to set cruise control, but it's actually "-". I found this out through trial and error because the paint on the "-" button had worn off...and the car had 3,000 miles.

The Chevy I had last month had a giant Chevrolet logo on the dashboard electronics screen that you could NOT turn off - whoever buys that car is going to looking at something that looks like a MySpace logo in a few years.

That's the GM experience - poor ergo design and poor quality control. All American cars are bad, but GM's are the worst.

And we won't even go into the fact that the Pontiac sports car division used to sell a minivan or that huge portions of GM's lineup are just the same car endlessly rebadged.

shovenose said: newer Fords are great too (minus crappy automatic transmissions in the Focus/Fiesta)

If you put a gun to my head and made me buy American, I'd by a Ford. But even then, I'd prefer Japanese.

I admit I've never driven GM trucks. Maybe they're better. But even if GM made FANTASTIC cars and trucks I wouldn't buy one. The taxpayers had to pay to bailout their union - you know, MY money - so screw 'em.

Let's see, I've owned a lot of GM trucks and SUVs, and yes I've had problems with them, two 4L60E failures, to be specific, but that's pretty much it. Beyond that generally very solid. Never left me stranded anywhere (well, except for one of the 4L60E failures). And they thankfully do not use the 4L60E in anything anymore. I believe 2012 is the last year they used it in the first-gen Colorado.

1996 GMC Yukon - 115K Miles - Rear different failed, took the 4L60E with it. Likely due to lack of maintainance (who knows if that fluid was ever changed, I sure didn't know to check). Sold it to a guy who was gonna replace the transmission and drive it.

1983 Chevrolet Truck (C20) - Unknown Miles - Sat in a field for 15 years, I bought it for $700, changed the oil and spark plugs, put gas in it, and drove it 40 miles home on the highway. Sold that for the down payment on the Colorado.

1998 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado - 250K+ Miles - Bought this without a title, sold it without a title. Nothing really mechanically wrong with it, though the catalytic converter was dead.

1995 Chevrolet Suburban - 175K Miles - Traded a web design for this. Leaky intake manifold gasket means it was blowing coolant out the exhaust when the engine was cold. Perfect condition and ran incredibly well other than that. Sold it because I urgently needed cash at the time.

2007 Chevrolet Colorado - 80K Miles - Looked brand new but drove like crap and the 4L60E lost reverse at under 80K miles, so I put in a junkyard transmission and sold it.

2002 GMC Envoy - 180K Miles - Got this a few months ago, it's my only vehicle now. Doesn't get the best mileage in the city but good highway mileage, lots of power, and runs like new. Gauge cluster is messed up but other than runs and drives perfect. Interior is still in great condition despite it being a heavily used Alaska vehicle for the first half of its life, and right before I bought it, was used to tow a trailer all around the US (previous owner is a good friend)

All of these vehicles might have had issues and the tranmission on the low mileage late model Colorado is definitely a bummer, but I've never had any engine problems; all of these vehicles had never had the heads removed nor been rebuilt. The Colorado had the worst quality of the interior of all of them, but none of the labeling was worn off anything. And again, the most important thing to me is that a vehicle will never leave you stranded anywhere, and so far, my GMs have done that well. I do believe that all the problems I had would be similar to any other brand of vehicle at higher mileage, old age, and questionable maintenance history across multiple owners.

My brother had a Chevrolet silverado some years ago... crappy as hell. :/

@netomx said:

Ha if you think that is true then he should have bought a Dodge Ram - never would have been left dealer parking lot :P

Thanked by 1netomx

@shovenose said:

@netomx said:

Ha if you think that is true then he should have bought a Dodge Ram - never would have been left dealer parking lot :P

Ikr? Haha. Ford or oriental for me.

@vfuse said:

@MrGeneral said:

@shovenose said:

In Amsterdam I paid about 2700 euro for a full clearbra wrap. Expensive but worth the money if you want to keep your car in tip top shape.

Yep, I wish you were from Portugal, I'd do that as well :P

@shovenose said:

@MrGeneral said:

@shovenose said:

Damnit, I wasn't aware... Hehe, we gotta up our prices!:P

@raindog308 said:

We might have another session soon... ;-)
    Won't be LET pricing but... Let's say that it'll include more services...

@jbiloh said:

Vinyl holds just fine.
    There are lots of different qualities, though... Some cheaper, some more expensive.

• PwnerPwner Member

@raindog308 said:

That's where you made your mistake. Late 70's to late 90's was the worst time period for American cars. I don't see too many of them on the road anymore because of how poorly they've held up, and the ones that do tend to be custom built so they're generally better quality. I personally own a 1971 Pontiac Grand Prix (it's not a daily for obvious, economic reasons) and I've been very satisfied with the quality put into vehicles of that era, though anything past 75-99 tends to be the slump of American automobile history in regards to quality. I also have a 2012 Chevrolet Traverse as my daily that I've been driving for 3 years now, bear in mind it hasn't hit 30,000 miles yet, but it's held up perfectly and I haven't faced any issues other than the stupidity of GM making headlights turn into a maintenance job with replacement every 2 years.

Pwner said: That's where you made your mistake.

If you'd read further, you'd have seen that I've driven dozens of current-model GM cars and they are also crapola.

linuxthefish said: I bet that car has better IPv6 support than your network

I'm wondering if there is an ipv6 stack somewhere in that car. Maybe not actively used but given all the embedded stuff used today...maybe? All you'd need is a reasonably generically-compiled Linux kernel.

My limited exposure to auto manufacturing is that they tend to use a lot of custom-written stuff for finer-grained control/liability issues in the engine and critical parts (most of those are probably more like an arduino than a raspberry pi), but for something like the stereo system, there could be busybox or android...? Custom compiled and reskinned to be sure.