Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Alternatives
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Alternatives

DeadiDeadi Member
edited July 2016 in Requests

Hello!

I've been with OVH for roughly 2-3 years, and I haven't shopped around in awhile. I'm looking for a comparable Dedicated Box I can rent month to month.

I'm currently using the SP-64-S Enterprise Package, comes with an Intel Xeon E5-1620v2, 64 GBs of Ram, 2 x 2 TB of Storage, and DDoS Protection. The closest thing to what I wanted to switch to was offered by HiVelocity, but the extra money monthly on DDoS Protection broke the bank for me.

Here is roughly what I'm searching for.

CPU: Comparable to the E5-1620v2
Ram: 32-64GB (This is for when I branch out into other servers to handle load)
SSD or HDD: 500GB SSD or 1TB HDD
DDoS Protection

I personally host a community that sub-hosts other communities servers. Mostly game servers (ArmA 3, GMod, Minecraft if I ever choose to go down that route) and a Teamspeak. I'm normally hit with a DDoS when a Server is opened. I'd like to keep my budget around what I currently pay $119 /mo. However if there's a better deal please do not shy from upping it. I'm looking into staying on Windows Server 2012 or switching to a Linux Distro (I've played with them and hear they perform better for Servers)

Thanks for all your help!

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to mention location.

USA East Coast or Canada preferred (Most members / connections come from Canada, East Coast, and UK / Western Europe. Distributing pings for players)

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Comparable to OVH's hardware configurations, DDoS mitigation and price? Hmm, that's kind of hard. Mostly being in North America.

Psychz sometimes has a good $100~/m deal on their E3-12XXv3 systems, not sure about their Ashburn location though. ReliableSite has fairly cheap servers but the DDoS mitigation capacity is nothing near OVH, similar to Psychz unless you purchase their higher tier packages or strike a deal.

• DeadiDeadi Member
    edited July 2016

@MikeA said:
    Comparable to OVH's hardware configurations, DDoS mitigation and price? Hmm, that's kind of hard. Mostly being in North America.

Psychz sometimes has a good $100~/m deal on their E3-12XXv3 systems, not sure about their Ashburn location though. ReliableSite has fairly cheap servers but the DDoS mitigation capacity is nothing near OVH, similar to Psychz unless you purchase their higher tier packages or strike a deal.

I was actually looking at Psychz as well, and they're coming up as a close matchup. The only off-putting part is the $159 price tag. Though I'm pretty sure I can handle that. It's worth it if their DDoS Protection and Performance match up.

EDIT: Looking at some of the features, it seems well put together though they charge an extra $49 monthly for in-line instead of Trigger based protection. I currently deal with Trigger based on OVH and it's one of the reasons I'm switching. Though if I have to pay $200 or so I might as well.

• MacPacMacPac Member

no one can match with ovh in terms of hardware, performance pricing.

but if you are looking for a better ddos protection, I recommend psychz.

• nobody does what OVH does, really

• racksxracksx Member

maybe online.net?

• AmitzAmitz Member

@racksx said:
    maybe online.net?

Not in Canada/North America.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited July 2016

@Deadi said:
    Hello!

I've never dealt with Minecraft at all, so not sure if per core performance is so important (does it make good use of multiple threads, or?)..

but these offers here look good:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1582498

there are in Central US, though.. well, the Missouri ones, anyway. West Virginia I suppose would be eastern US, but not east coast. I've never had a server in WV, but Missouri should be something like 25ms to east coast?

I've also never used dedispec.

(and their ad indicates 10Gbit on some of the servers, but when I went to order page it said 1Gbit port)

ed: the reliableservers offers could work possibly,

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1564805

but i know that the starting configs are essentially bare minimum on RAM and such and increasing any of those amts is fairly costly

• DeadiDeadi Member
    edited July 2016

@zevus said:

@Deadi said:
    Hello!

I've never dealt with Minecraft at all, so not sure if per core performance is so important (does it make good use of multiple threads, or?)..

but these offers here look good:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1582498

there are in Central US, though.. well, the Missouri ones, anyway. West Virginia I suppose would be eastern US, but not east coast. I've never had a server in WV, but Missouri should be something like 25ms to east coast?

I've also never used dedispec.

(and their ad indicates 10Gbit on some of the servers, but when I went to order page it said 1Gbit port)

ed: the reliableservers offers could work possibly,

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1564805

but i know that the starting configs are essentially bare minimum on RAM and such and >increasing any of those amts is fairly costly

>

I'd say that I'm trying to get a good mix, so I'm already considering the option of paying more. However that is what's truly keeping me away from Reliable at the moment, every time I mark something it shoots up in price.

Phychz seems to be winning out, even if I do have to pay a bit more, I'd be able to use DDR4 RAM as well as Inline DDoS Protection.

• @Deadi said:

We can match this price with AlwaysOn protection http://www.seflow.net/2/index.php/en/services/baremetalserver/browseservers

Firstly not sure about the ping, i'm mention us because your talking about west europe. Check our latency for Milan here http://www.seflow.net/2/index.php/en/services/baremetalserver/lookingglass

You will get i7 6700 64gb ram with 4,2Tbps always on ddos protection at €58 or E3 server 32gb ram from €77

Regards

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

matteob said: Firstly not sure about the ping, i'm mention us because your talking about west europe. Check our latency for Milan here http://www.seflow.net/2/index.php/en/services/baremetalserver/lookingglass

The "Your IP" bit doesn't work, as it seems you are using some proxy, so we see the proxy IP and not the real user IP"

• @hawc said:

Yes, i linked it just to permit user to know the latency. Looking glass need to be moved due to these problem:

• Our internal proxy block the real ip
    • Download speed is slow because we rate limit connection on that server to 100Mbps

Is in todo work list

• DeadiDeadi Member

@matteob said:

@hawc said:

Yes, i linked it just to permit user to know the latency. Looking glass need to be moved due to these problem:

• Our internal proxy block the real ip
    • Download speed is slow because we rate limit connection on that server to 100Mbps

Is in todo work list

Don't believe I'd strictly be doing it in Europe, Mostly on East Coast in USA due to me being on the West Coast. Just trying to get average / Best pings for all people connecting.

• @Deadi said:

Yes if most people come from U.S. and is a game, U.S. provider is best solution for you. In this case as i know psychz is a good network. maybe some kind of voxility reseller? I think they can be cheaper than psychz

• Why don't you switch to OVH's game line? Those have always on protection and still have all the OVH advantages.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Why don't you switch to OVH's game line? Those have always on protection and still have all the OVH advantages.

Pretty sure it's just a UDP block that's always active, mitigation still is on-attack.

• DeadiDeadi Member

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Why don't you switch to OVH's game line? Those have always on protection and still have all the OVH advantages.

Another reason I don't use it is because I'd rather manage everything myself and have a Dedicated Box I can host multiple servers on rather than paying per slot / per server of one service.

• @Deadi said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

Another reason I don't use it is because I'd rather manage everything myself and have a Dedicated Box I can host multiple servers on rather than paying per slot / per server of one service.

I may be mistaken but their game line is just on i7 processors due to the higher single thread. Nothing else is different other than some custom firewall rules for games. It's still your server to what you want with.

• @Deadi said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

I believe they're referring to these http://www.soyoustart.com/us/game-servers/

OVH doesn't offer any sort of slot based hosting like you're thinking.

• xpygmyxpygmy Member
    edited July 2016

@Umcookies said:

@Deadi said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

I believe they're referring to these http://www.soyoustart.com/us/game-servers/

OVH doesn't offer any sort of slot based hosting like you're thinking.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/game/

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@deadi we do not offer ddos protection but for 122 $ we can do :

E5-1620v2

32 Gb

2x2 Tb raid hard

100 mbits unmetered

test ip : lg.ikoula.com

Thanked by 1MacPac
  • bersybersy Member
    edited July 2016

removed

• Hi,

I am seller in usa and direction. I have special dedicated for what ever you want to use it.
    If you re still interested you can send me a letter and we ll find solution for what you looking for. also more ips are avalible if you need them. Rent on monthly base

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Directhostingservice said:
    Hi,

I am seller in usa and direction. I have special dedicated for what ever you want to use it.
    If you re still interested you can send me a letter and we ll find solution for what you looking for. also more ips are avalible if you need them. Rent on monthly base

Get out.

• @Directhostingservice said:
    Hi,

I am a seller in banning.

If you are interested please send me a letter and we will ban you on a monthly base.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2016

@zafouhar said:

@Directhostingservice said:
    Hi,

I am a seller in banning.

If you are interested please send me a letter and we will ban you on a monthly base.

Actually, I can expedite the process.

@jarland

@jarland

@jarland

@jarland

@jarland

@jarland

@jarland

@jarland

@jarland

... assuming I don't get banned for spamming

• post are flaged by Threatening user discusion closed

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Looks like someone's gonna get banned and his username starts with D.

Thanked by 1timnboys