Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HDD from 2012, bad idea?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HDD from 2012, bad idea?

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited June 2016 in General

Hey,

I needed a Disk Upgrade since Steam Sale again... and my disks getting full.

So I ordered a 2TB HGST for 58Gyros, sold as NEW, it has 0 Hours but, it makes kinda a noise and was produced in 2012. Its even a ENTERPRISE DRIVE, prem.

Well, I have some drives from 2011, there noise is even worse than that. So should I be worried?

Actually I am pretty sure these drives from 2011 are singing KILL ME, but that drive is far away from this but the noise... makes me cringe.

Thanks, Neoon.

Comments

• MakenaiMakenai Member
    edited June 2016

On some drives SMART data can be erased, but by doing that you would also erase all bad block information.
    Try running dd on the drive and see if it fails/hangs.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2016

That 2TB Hitachi is probably on their old but proven 5-platter design, they can produce some noise, vibration and heat up a bit. But they are tank-grade reliable, if SMART values right now are good, you can be sure it will work without any issues for many many years.

• sinsin Member

I have 4 hard drives in my current gaming rig that are all over 5 years old and still running 24/7 (I only reboot/turn off when there's a Windows upgrade that needs it) with no issues. Hard drives can last for quite a long time.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Those aren't the fastest or quietest drives but should last quite some time.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

speed often come at the cost of silence.
    Enterprise grade disks are not meant to let you sleep on the desk, they arent built with your auditory comfort in mind. Performance and endurance are the key.

• I have a Hitachi laptop hard drive, and it's been running for almost three years without any problems.

• 0 Hours means nothing. Give me 30 seconds I can make any recent Seagate hard drive showing 0 hours and 0 power cycles. Just a command through TTL cable.

It should be easy for other vendors as well.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, 6 Hours Testing, nothing, dang it.

Gonna fill it with 2TB of data, lets see if its starts to cry.

I need to detect if these HDD had a SMART reset, is there any way?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Who needs Hitachi?

Wanna see real reliability? Here is my 1,5TB Seagate:

• edited July 2016

As far as I'm concerned a 4 year old drive is brand spanking new. I have some WD and Seagate Ultra ATA drives still in service from early last decade. Accessing the data is infrequent, but they have been powered on for YEARS.

• yomeroyomero Member

@tr1cky said:
    Wanna see real reliability? Here is my 1,5TB Seagate:

I have one of that model. And apparently we are lucky, I read these ones have a high failure rate.

Mine has a couple of bad sectors already, but still working fine.

I ship that HDD back, at least they agreed now.

Time to get a NEW 1TB HDD for the same price.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Neoon said: I ship that HDD back, at least they agreed now.

So were you just uncomfortable about the 2012 age or did you find something that indicated there had been some deception?

Eh, keep that old thing, I guess still a bad idea..