Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about SolusVM by a non-provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Questions about SolusVM by a non-provider

DStroutDStrout Member
edited March 2013 in General

As the title says, I'm not a provider, nor do I intend to be. As there are lots on here, though, I was hoping I could learn a little about the ever popular SolusVM.

• Generally speaking, how does it work on the admin side? What can it do (other than (re)booting/shutdown/add/delete VMs, of course)?
  • How does it integrate with WHMCS/HostBill/whatever? API, presumably?
  • Are there any alternatives? It seems to literally be the sole program for the purpose.
  • I've heard many times that SVM does not support assigning IPv6 subnets (/64 and such). Is that true? If so, why?

... And anything else interesting. I just want to know more about the VPS manager I use daily. (That is, more than the website's marketing-oriented jibber-jabber I get)

Comments

1. It does pretty much just that... generally speaking. Aside from that you can manage templates, view node details, manage IPs, etc...
    2. There's an API for it and a WHMCS module.
    3. Yes there are a few alternatives. We use hypervm, but will be switching to joepie91's cvm shortly.
    4. SolusVM doesn't support assigning subnets because to the best of my knowledge they haven't setup Veth for their openvz control panels to support it. There may be other reasons...
  • This may be getting more in to the underlying virtualization technologies, but how do OS templates work?

• BlueVMBlueVM Member
    edited March 2013

OpenVZ is not a true virtualization environment so quite literally the template is just a tar.gz file containing a modified version of whatever linux based OS your using. OpenVZ literally creates a folder on the host node, dumps the "OS" inside of it and executes the init for that template. The kernel for the VPS is "the same kernel" that the host node runs.

Each container is a separate entity, and behaves largely as a physical server would. Each has its own: files, users and groups, process tree, virtualized network adapter, devices, etc...

In reality OpenVZ is just an advanced process scheduling and management application with the ability to separate one user's applications from another.

(I may be wrong on some of this as I'm not perfect, but this is about as accurate of a description as I've been able to come up with in my own head).

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

@BlueVM said: The kernel for the VPS is "the same kernel" that the host node runs

...So that's why it has to be Linux - that "same kernel" is the common linux kernel?

• hyaohyao Member

DStrout said: ...So that's why it has to be Linux - that "same kernel" is the common linux kernel?

AFAIK, OpenVZ is only implemented in the Linux kernel: to provide the functionalities it does, it needs kernel support. No, that "same kernel" is only OpenVZ kernel (Linux kernel with integrated OpenVZ functionalities), and it's not part of the mainline Linux kernel

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited March 2013

@BlueVM said: Each container is a separate entity, and behaves largely as a physical server would. Each has its own: files, users and groups, process tree, virtualized network adapter, devices, etc...

By default you don't get a virtualised network adapter (per VM), I think.

OpenVZ is just an advanced chroot to put it simply.