Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian Sudo Security Vulnerability
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian Sudo Security Vulnerability

IshaqIshaq Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hey LET.

Please upgrade your sudo packages immediately, if you're not already aware there is a sudo vulnerability for Debian based systems.

This mainly affects people with sudo users.

More information: http://www.debian.org/security/2013/dsa-2642

Comments

• flyfly Member
    edited March 2013

cve-1775 is pretty hilarious

I dunno if this is debian specific

edit:looks like its across the board

• OllieOllie Member

Hey Ishaq.
    Thank you for alerting us of this exploit, I will patch my Debian server immediately.
    Ollie

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Thanks for the heads up. I don't really have Debian in use for anything at production level, so I hadn't kept up on their security updates.

• tuxtux Member
    edited March 2013

@Ishaq said: Please upgrade your sudo packages immediately, if you're not already aware there is a sudo vulnerability for Debian based systems.

root@debian:~# LANG=C apt-cache policy sudo | grep Installed
    Installed: (none)

• IshaqIshaq Member

@tux said: root@debian:~# LANG=C apt-cache policy sudo | grep Installed

Installed: (none)

Some may not have it installed.

• NoermanNoerman Member
    edited March 2013

Thanks, now updating sudo ..

Installing package(s) with command apt-get -y install sudo ..

Reading package lists...
    Building dependency tree...
    Reading state information...
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    sudo
    1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 611 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 16.4 kB disk space will be freed.
    Get:1 http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates/main sudo amd64 1.7.4p4-2.squeeze.4 [611 kB]
    Reading changelogs...
    Fetched 611 kB in 0s (1733 kB/s)
    (Reading database ... 71643 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace sudo 1.7.4p4-2.squeeze.3 (using .../sudo_1.7.4p4-2.squeeze.4_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement sudo ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up sudo (1.7.4p4-2.squeeze.4) ...
    .. install complete.

• tchentchen Member

Thanks @Ishaq for the PSA.

• twaintwain Member

I upgraded, but I don't think anyone should really be worried unless you give out shell or console access to some other users, but of course best practice is to upgrade.

• Automatic security updates FTW :)

• Thanks for the PSA!

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited March 2013

@twain you should be worried - see the thread 'why do people say this' - if sudo is broken, you're basically running everything as root.

The details in the CVE on the 2nd patch are withheld, so this is quite likely to be a major problem and will affect all distros using affected sudo versions.

• @tehdan nope, you still have to run it as sudo. It just won't ask you for a password even if timestamp are outdated. User are still needs to in sudoers list etc. So basically this really doesn't affects most of the people.

• @nstorm thanks - looked at the bug and yes, the user does have to have sudo'd previously.

However the general statement that a sudo bug would only affect local users is a common misconception - if it were more serious it could trivially be stacked with a code-exception vulnerability in any other service to get root from a non-privileged service like apache.

• NickMNickM Member

Standard security best practices should mitigate most of the concerns regarding this sudo vulnerability. For example, running publicly facing daemons as "nobody" or at least their own user account (and not giving that account sudo privileges for whatever asinine reason people do that).

• BlueVM said "Some may not have it installed".

(Debian) Minstall users are one group who probably don't have sudo installed