Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I/O intensive VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I/O intensive VPS?

NeoNeo Banned
edited March 2013 in General

Hi,

Do anyone offer a I/O intensive VPS?
3-4 Hours a day zipping images ;D

Comments

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited March 2013

This requires a lot of CPU as well as disk IO, IMO you'd be better to go dedicated to avoid being terminated for resource abuse

• NeoNeo Banned

@superpilesos yeah i know but i need extra a dedi and thats not cheap.

• jhjh Member

Might be able to help...

• "Do anyone offer a I/O intensive VPS?"

The older AMD 5600+/6000+ and Opteron dedis at hetzner's serverbidding.com would be a better choice than a VPS You can usually pick them up for around $25. (the prices on their site include VAT so subtract 19% if you're outside the EU).

• The obvious Kimsufi/OVH would work perfectly for this no?

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@Neo said: @superpilesos yeah i know but i need extra a dedi and thats not cheap.

Hmm, would a Intel Atom with 110 MB/s I/O do ?

• NeoNeo Banned

IntelAtom needs 5-6+ Hours a day for the Images size is around 2-8GB

• You could also take a look at datashack or wholesaleinternet

Phenom II 840 x4 Quad Core (4 cores)
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    2x 500GB SATA Hard Drives
    Hardware RAID 0,1 or None
    20TB Transfer on 1Gbit Port
    Any Linux Distribution
    Free DirectAdmin for Linux
    5 Usable IPv4 IP addresses
    /64 IPv6 Address Space
    Unmanaged

$0 Setup / $39 per month
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1243800

OR

Dual Quad Core Xeon 5420 (2.5Ghz, 8 physical cores)
    8GB RAM
    250GB SATA Hard Drive
    100Mbit Unmetered Port
    5 usable IPv4 IPs
    Linux
    Free Love

$0 Setup - $39 per month when you use the code: 15off
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1244583

• @Neo said: ntelAtom needs 5-6+ Hours a day for the Images size is around 2-8GB

So what, you need it fast?

edited March 2013

@Spencer said: You could also take a look at datashack or wholesaleinternet

Datashack were good for the price when I used them about a year ago. Only problem is, they put customer details in the IP WHOIS (no problem) then don't remove it after the customer leaves (problem), now you can google my name and get pages of drugs/replicas/warez sites..
    Also Kimsufi is good for the price, and SecuredServers have fairly cheap E3, and if atom is OK I have one of these, which performs well for what I use it for ( nothing ) : http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/8326/atom-n2800-from-25month
    Also http://www.finalhosting.cz/

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

@Neo said: IntelAtom needs 5-6+ Hours a day for the Images size is around 2-8GB

Hmm odd, I don't think it'd take 5 hours to zip 2 GB, but then again, it depends on the compression level your using, if you chose to just zip and store, I don't think it'll take long, but then again if you increase the compression level it'd take much longer.

• @superpilesos said: put customer details in the IP WHOIS (no problem) then don't remove it after the customer leaves

You have all rights to complain to them and request that the information / IP SWIP is removed after you no longer use the IPs. If they don't do it - complain to ARIN and maybe datashack will receive a good slap for this.

edited March 2013

@rds100 said: You have all rights to complain to them and request that the information / IP SWIP is removed after you no longer use the IPs. If they don't do it - complain to ARIN and maybe datashack will receive a good slap for this.

I did try (they didn't respond to my email), but now it has been 1 1/2 years and I don't feel like pursuing it, the 100's of sites that save data already have saved it and won't update so it does not really matter any more.

I also used xirra.net for a short period, Root Server XR-1 I think it was, 29€ for a dualcore with 2x 1TB HDD, 8GB RAM. The server was good, network was good, but their billing policies were strange. I cancelled my server before the next payment was due and somehow ended owing them two additional small payments that were not even for the amount of my server. Would still recommend them.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I would highly recommend a Dedicated Server

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@rds100 said: If they don't do it - complain to ARIN and maybe datashack will receive a good slap for this.

We ran into an issue with one of our former providers refusing to remove a SWIP, which resulted in us receiving hundreds of abuse complaints for the new customer the provider assigned the IPs to.

ARIN told us to e-mail the provider and CC [email protected]. If the provider didn't respond and complete the removal within a certain timeframe, ARIN said they would remove it.

When I CC'ed ARIN, the provider woke up and removed it.

• earlearl Member

@superpilesos said: Datashack were good for the price when I used them about a year ago. Only problem is, they put customer details in the IP WHOIS

I never had to SWIP the IP with Datashack or WII, only with Dacentec this was compulsary.