Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

StarryDNS Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

StarryDNS Review

angrysnarlangrysnarl Member
edited June 2016 in Reviews

It's been almost 2 months since I signed up for a StarryDNS account. I got a Japan VPS mainly for game tunneling purposes. It works perfectly - latency is great, server is stable, and I haven't had any issues since day 1.

Their pricing isn't the cheapest; you can get more resources per $ from Vultr, OneProvider, etc. but I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for better latency (vs. Vultr) + very accommodating staff. That being said I highly recommend StarryDNS if you need a server located in Japan.

freevps bench for those interested:

System Info
-----------
Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v3 @ 2.40GHz
CPU Cores       : 1
Frequency       : 2399.930 MHz
Memory          : 128 MB
Swap            : 128 MB
Uptime          : 18:23,

OS              : Debian GNU/Linux 7
Arch            : i686 (32 Bit)
Kernel          : 2.6.32-042stab104.1
Hostname        :

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
---------------------
Your public IPv4 is

Location                Provider        Speed
CDN                     Cachefly        15.3MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          10.9MB/s
Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       14.7MB/s
Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       25.0MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       19.5MB/s
Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       14.5MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          72.0MB/s
Singapore               Softlayer       25.2MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         7.53MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        20.5MB/s

Disk Speed
----------
I/O (1st run)   : 101 MB/s
I/O (2nd run)   : 143 MB/s
I/O (3rd run)   : 184 MB/s
Average I/O     : 142.667 MB/s

Thanks @jylee for the great service.

Comments

• Damn, speeds are pretty good to most locations...

• thatixthatix Member
    edited June 2016

@angrysnarl said:
    I don't mind paying a few extra dollars for better latency

It's SoftLayer tho. OneProvider also has SoftLayer Japan (and it is KVM) so why do you think Starry has a better latency? Any proof?

Anyway, 10.8$/mo for a 512MB OpenVZ and 13.6$/mo for a 512MB KVM come with only 400GB traffic , seriously?

From what I know OneProvider has their 6$/mo(maybe 7$) SoftLayer Japan plan.

Besides, why not choose reputable provider such as Linode/OP?
    For server performance why not choose ConoHa.jp?

Thanked by 1rm_
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

thatix said: OneProvider has their 6$/mo(maybe 7$) SoftLayer Japan plan.

It's $5: http://oneprovider.com/onecloud/ssd-virtual-servers

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2016

First of all, they are just a Softlayer reseller, and you will NOT get any better latency compared to another reseller such as OneProvider.

Secondly,

angrysnarl said: Memory : 128 MB

Swap : 128 MB

...yet the lowest plans at StarryDNS starts with 512 MB of RAM, so if you have got a custom plan, you don't think you should specify what plan is it and how much are you paying, in this "review"? Overall, seems to be a shilling post, they give you a small VPS in exchange for a positive post on LET.

• angrysnarlangrysnarl Member
    edited June 2016

@thatix said:

It's SoftLayer tho. OneProvider also has SoftLayer Japan (and it is KVM) so why do you think Starry has a better latency? Any proof?

Ah sorry didn't mean it that way. I meant you could get more resources from other providers such as those but I was particularly talking about Vultr when I mentioned latency.

Anyway, 10.8$/mo for a 512MB OpenVZ and 13.6$/mo for a 512MB KVM come with only 400GB traffic , seriously?

I have a custom plan (128MB RAM) with them. I agree the pricing is steep compared to other LE hosts but I don't really mind as long as it's reasonable. I just want something that works all the time.

From what I know OneProvider has their 6$/mo(maybe 7$) SoftLayer Japan plan.

Yeah their entry level plan is cheaper but sadly they don't do custom plans...plus you need plan 3 or higher to spin up a server in JP.

Besides, why not choose reputable provider such as Linode/OP?

Linode is out of stock and has been out of stock for a long time. I checked with them two months ago and no stock, so I had to look for other options which led me to this provider.

For server performance why not choose ConoHa.jp?

My ping to Conoha servers: ~80ms
    My ping to SL Tokyo: ~50ms

Ping is the most important factor for me as I use the server mainly for game tunneling.

edited June 2016

@rm_ said:
    First of all, they are just a Softlayer reseller, and you will NOT get any better latency compared to another reseller such as OneProvider.

See my post above. Sorry if my original post caused a misunderstanding.

Secondly,

angrysnarl said: Memory : 128 MB

Swap : 128 MB

...yet the lowest plans at StarryDNS starts with 512 MB of RAM, so if you have got a custom plan, you don't think you should specify what plan is it and how much are you paying, in this "review"?

128MB/128MB with 80GB storage. The rest of the resources are identical to their 512MB plan. I initially ordered the 512MB plan but asked to "downgrade" to a custom plan a little later.

Overall, seems to be a shilling post, they give you a small VPS in exchange for a positive post on LET.

Jeez... why would I lol.

• thatixthatix Member

@angrysnarl said:
    Linode is out of stock and has been out of stock for a long time. I checked with them two months ago and no stock, so I had to look for other options which lead me to this provider.

This isn't true. My friend just bought one recently because of the double RAM promotion.

@angrysnarl said:

Mind tell your general location?

Just as @rm_ said, this thread looks like a shilling post.

HAD a Korean vps with them, (a special plan around 7$/mo), the only thing I found is massive overselling.( unstable network with high packet loss and poor connection)

Handover that account after 1 week.

• @thatix said:
    This isn't true. My friend just bought one recently because of the double RAM promotion.

They were out of stock when I needed a server. Are you sure they have JP stock right now? I don't want to give them my cc details (again) only to find out JP is not available.

Mind tell your general location?

somewhere in SEA

Just as @rm_ said, this thread looks like a shilling post.

Not at all. I'm a legit customer and I'm not sure what else you guys want me to prove. I'm not fond of drama so take my review however you want to.

HAD a Korean vps with them, (a special plan around 7$/mo), the only thing I found is massive overselling.( unstable network with high packet loss and poor connection)

Haven't tried their KR location so I can't say anything about it. I did try their LA location but asked for a refund a few days later because the IP was geolocating to HK.

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited June 2016

Only old linode customer could deploy new tokyo linode now.

edited June 2016

@hiphiphip0 said:
    Only old linode customer could deploy new tokyo linode now.

That sucks. I cancelled my account with them because as an inactive client I didn't want them storing my cc details.

• thatixthatix Member
    edited June 2016

@angrysnarl said:
    somewhere in SEA

@angrysnarl said:

Ping is the most important factor for me as I use the server mainly for game tunneling.

http://lg.softlayer.com/

The latency between SoftLayer Seattle and Tokyo is 82ms so how can you get a 50ms latency given that you are located in Seattle? :)

edited June 2016

@thatix said:
    The latency between SoftLayer Seattle and Tokyo is 82ms so how can you get a 50ms latency given that you are located in Seattle? :)

Southeast Asia, not Seattle lmao