Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVz Kernel Network Problem (OVH)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVz Kernel Network Problem (OVH)

Hey,

I have installed OpenVz "2.6.32-042stab116.1" on my Centos 6.6 server hosted at OVH.
When i reboot in this kernel the network is unreachable, not visible in ifconfig.

and when i try to ifup eth0 i get "Device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization".

So i tried to install ixgbe driver but not worked too.

If you have any suggestion please post them Thanks you

Dany

Comments

• CheridonCheridon Member
    edited June 2016

Did you install you're server with the OVH Kernel? Is you're networking down? I have a lot of servers at OVH so I might be able to help you

• I think the problem is that you installed OpenVZ, remove that and you should be okay.

Thanked by 2Francisco tux
  • @Cheridon said:
    Did you install you're server with the OVH Kernel? Is you're networking down? I have a lot of servers at OVH so I might be able to help you

Yes i have a HOST-32L server, i installed the CentOS 6.7 template, but i can't install it with the original kernel, i get this error (This server must be installed with OVH custom Linux kernel).
    Next i installed OpenVz Kernel, but with this kernel i don't have internet connexion, my eth0 don't show up on ifconfig -a and i need to connect with IPMI.

And when i change kernel to the OVH one at boot i have no problem,
    I think its something with the driver...

Thanks for the reply !

• EricBEricB Member

Another problem is that when using OVZ it's not eth0. It's venet0.

• @JoeMerit said:
    I think the problem is that you installed OpenVZ, remove that and you should be okay.

I need OpenVz kernel, that's why it is installed ;)

Thanks for the reply !

• Are you opening up a new summer host ?

Thanked by 1tux
  • AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited June 2016

Them server boards do not come with the drivers for the Network card prebuilt into the default CentOS kernel hence why OVH won't let you install without.

You will need to install the module before rebooting into the openvz kernel using yum or build from source. The module is ixgbe

• @Dany123 said:

@Cheridon said:

Yes i have a HOST-32L server, i installed the CentOS 6.7 template, but i can't install it with the original kernel, i get this error (This server must be installed with OVH custom Linux kernel).
    Next i installed OpenVz Kernel, but with this kernel i don't have internet connexion, my eth0 don't show up on ifconfig -a and i need to connect with IPMI.

Thanks for the reply !

Hey, it's the OVH kernel, you will need to boot into rescue mode & run this command "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX bs=446 count=1 *replace X with the target drive letter." after that reinstall CentOS & the CentOS kernel should install & you should not run into any problems with you're OpenVZ

• @Cheridon said:

@Dany123 said:

@Cheridon said:

Thanks for the reply !

Hey, it's the OVH kernel, you will need to boot into rescue mode & run this command "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdX bs=446 count=1 *replace X with the target drive letter." after that reinstall CentOS & the CentOS kernel should install & you should not run into any problems with you're OpenVZ

funny...

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2016

Dany123 said: Yes i have a HOST-32L server

NIC driver doesn't work with the OVZ kernel, at least not easily. Been there. Ended up not virtualizing the server. I couldn't get it to work.

• @jarland said:

Dany123 said: Yes i have a HOST-32L server

NIC driver doesn't work with the OVZ kernel, at least not easily. Been there. Ended up not virtualizing the server. I couldn't get it to work.

I could get it to work for you, let me know

Thanked by 1jar
  • @Dany123 said:

@Cheridon said:

@Dany123 said:

@Cheridon said:

Thanks for the reply !

funny...

did it work?

• @Dany123 missed an important point there

@EricB said:
    Another problem is that when using OVZ it's not eth0. It's venet0.

• Yes, i am little stupid, but i think i will go try kvm, some peaple tell me it's better.

thanks you all