Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subnet Labs LLC, You're not kidding me? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Subnet Labs LLC, You're not kidding me?

2»

Comments

• emre22emre22 Member

@KuJoe said:
    @Undead your VPS used the bandwidth, do you expect the provider to foot the bill for you and potentially lose money for your mistake?

well, a 'you are running out of traffic' mail wouldn't be bad at all.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@emre22 said:

@KuJoe said:
    @Undead your VPS used the bandwidth, do you expect the provider to foot the bill for you and potentially lose money for your mistake?

Agreed, but it's still the client's responsibility to understand what they are ordering and the resources their VPS is using.

@Undead said:

@KuJoe said:

Are you willing to pay for the goods you don't need?

I don't bring goods home that I don't need. You on the other hand have a VPS that USED bandwidth, whether you needed it or not your VPS used it and you are expected to pay for what your VPS uses.

• @Undead said:

My Paypal balance will be very dangerous!

feeling not as good as Google translation.

I hope your PayPal balance doesn't destroy us all, I feel even worse than Google translation now that you told us how dangerous money is.

• nepsneps Member

Nothing the OP can do I guess. Although I dare say, I think the better hosts would at least throw an email your way once you hit your monthly threshold. Maybe the OP's fault was signing up for a host where the ToS was in a language he/she did not fully understand.

• UndeadUndead Member

@neps said:
    Nothing the OP can do I guess. Although I dare say, I think the better hosts would at least throw an email your way once you hit your monthly threshold. Maybe the OP's fault was signing up for a host where the ToS was in a language he/she did not fully understand.

In fact, I use a lot of host agent will send the resource usage transfinite mail, only this one is strange. After all, I didn't want to use the extra traffic, are also less prepared to pay for it. Businesses don't do remind, default I need extra traffic directly, I think this is fully induced consumption!

• UndeadUndead Member

@KuJoe said:

@emre22 said:

@KuJoe said:

Agreed, but it's still the client's responsibility to understand what they are ordering and the resources their VPS is using.

@Undead said:

@KuJoe said:

Are you willing to pay for the goods you don't need?

I don't bring goods home that I don't need. You on the other hand have a VPS that USED bandwidth, whether you needed it or not your VPS used it and you are expected to pay for what your VPS uses.

I need only package contains resources, this is a prepaid service, not post-paid service. Seller provides new post-paid resources, shouldn't remind users, allows users to choose?

• lbftlbft Member
    edited June 2016

KuJoe said: He appears to also be claiming the overage fees were automatically taken out of his PayPal (I highly doubt this)

Subnet Labs/ImpactVPS uses PayPal billing agreements (not fixed-amount subscriptions), so presumably if there was an invoice the payment could have been processed automatically.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@lbft said:

KuJoe said: He appears to also be claiming the overage fees were automatically taken out of his PayPal (I highly doubt this)

Subnet Labs/ImpactVPS uses PayPal billing agreements (not fixed-amount subscriptions), so presumably if there was an invoice the payment could have been processed automatically.

Oh, I didn't know WHMCS offered that as an option.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@KuJoe said:

@lbft said:

Oh, I didn't know WHMCS offered that as an option.

Me neither, looks like its a module and not something directly with WHMCS though: https://marketplace.whmcs.com/product/330

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2016

@Undead said:

My VPS traffic exceeds the limit, the seller didn't remind me.

VPS has been idle for two months, the flow is suddenly anomaly in this month, the seller did not inform me.

Because the seller did not timely remind me, cause I am in unwittingly use extra traffic.

The seller thinks I should pay for it, then directly deduct money (via Paypal without any notification).

I don't think it's reasonable,I think should ask customers when VPS exceeds the traffic limit if continuing to use.

This is really terrible!

If my VPS is been DDoS attacks, so...

My English is poor, feeling not as good as Google translation.

**OK, about the translation Google sometimes (all the times) gets it wrong, my questions are:
    1) When you bought your VPS it was contracted as managed or unmanaged ?
    If it is unmanaged you are responsible for everything that happens with your VPS and if you detect a hacker or a DDoS you have to take care of the problem by yourself and in the first place you should open a ticket with your provider, I am pretty sure that he would help you.

2) Paypal issue. As a provider I can tell you that we can not get any money from any customer Paypal account, the most we can do is issue an invoice for the services or in your case for the excess BW.

People does not realize when buy a service through Paypal that has 2 options ( simple checkout and Subscription) and then they click on the subscription, this makes an automation on your paypal account, so even if you cancel the service and not cancel the subscription you will be billed and your account will be charged by Paypal not by your service provider and the only person that can cancel the subscription is you.

What I see here is what have happened, you forgot to cancel the subscription and Paypal took your money, this is the why you lost the dispute.

Do not take this as a critic I am trying only to help you.

• UndeadUndead Member

@vpsrus said:

@Undead said:

My VPS traffic exceeds the limit, the seller didn't remind me.

VPS has been idle for two months, the flow is suddenly anomaly in this month, the seller did not inform me.

Because the seller did not timely remind me, cause I am in unwittingly use extra traffic.

The seller thinks I should pay for it, then directly deduct money (via Paypal without any notification).

I don't think it's reasonable,I think should ask customers when VPS exceeds the traffic limit if continuing to use.

This is really terrible!

If my VPS is been DDoS attacks, so...

My English is poor, feeling not as good as Google translation.

**OK, about the translation Google sometimes (all the times) gets it wrong, my questions are:
    1) When you bought your VPS it was contracted as managed or unmanaged ?
    If it is unmanaged you are responsible for everything that happens with your VPS and if you detect a hacker or a DDoS you have to take care of the problem by yourself and in the first place you should open a ticket with your provider, I am pretty sure that he would help you.

2) Paypal issue. As a provider I can tell you that we can not get any money from any customer Paypal account, the most we can do is issue an invoice for the services or in your case for the excess BW.

People does not realize when buy a service through Paypal that has 2 options ( simple checkout and Subscription) and then they click on the subscription, this makes an automation on your paypal account, so even if you cancel the service and not cancel the subscription you will be billed and your account will be charged by Paypal not by your service provider and the only person that can cancel the subscription is you.

What I see here is what have happened, you forgot to cancel the subscription and Paypal took your money, this is the why you lost the dispute.

Do not take this as a critic I am trying only to help you.

Thank you for your help! In fact I don't understand the difference between "managed" and "unmanaged", I only know that one of the most basic principle, merchants ready to deduct money, should at least let me know? I think the difference between "managed" and "unmanaged" should not be in the "all resources after using, whether to need to inform customer" here.

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider

@Undead said:

@vpsrus said:

@Undead said:

Thank you for your help! In fact I don't understand the difference between "managed" and "unmanaged", I only know that one of the most basic principle, merchants ready to deduct money, should at least let me know? I think the difference between "managed" and "unmanaged" should not be in the "all resources after using, whether to need to inform customer" here.

I don't know what kind of software your provider uses to manage their customers account, but in case of the BW excess most of providers's software will automatically suspend your account and send you an automatic email telling you that your account was suspended, then is up to you contact the provider to know what happened, also depend on your provider's software configuration, it will send him an email informing the issue, now if you do not contract the provider to take care of your VPS he will not contact you, it is up to you open a support ticket and inform of your problem.
    You have to understand that the provider must have hundreds or thousands of customer, and this is why we rely on the automation.

Manged or Unmanaged VPS is simple, "managed" it will take your provider's time to take care of your VPS, install software, harden the VPS, firewall, rootkits, etc.. to keep your VPS running without any issue, and when it happens is up to the provider to fix the issue for you, but this is a service and it is costly, you have to pay for that, now if you contract only the VPS "unmanaged" you have to do everything yourself,

I hope that can clear up a little bit for you

• bcacbbcacb Member

It's bad business. The provider should have notified the customer or shut down the VPS when the advertised data transfer was reached.

• JacobJacob Member

The customer should have been notified prior to any unarranged amount being charged against a payment source.

/end

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

Sorry for the late reply, I have been traveling (on vacation).

The issue here is quite simple. There was an overage that the client was charged for (rate defined in TOS). Typically these are just tacked on at the end of a billing cycle's next invoice so it can be easily seen, however a cancellation request was submitted which forced an auto generation of the invoice.

As some of you mentioned here, we bill using paypal billing agreements. ( For those of you providers: http://myworks.design/software/whmcs-paypal-billing-agreements-payment-gateway , I highly recommend it. One of the best decisions we made. No dealing with subscriptions. When they submit a cancellation request you just stop charging them no dealing with subscriptions, and it makes payments easier for the client (you basically bill like you would a credit card token). Well we auto charge invoices two days before they are due to make sure if an auto payment fails, the client has time to correct before their invoice is overdue. Well an instant generated invoice is due immediately and the system auto charged it on the next cron run.

You can always check your current bandwidth usage in the client area: https://www.evernote.com/l/AEA3T0DpDEVE-bPaGZcOHUdLi4pqRl--dWo . We get it though, mistakes happen and we consider ourselves very flexible. If there had been any attempt to contact us via a ticket, 99.9% chance it would have been refunded in full no questions asked. Instead it was disputed. So immediately a full refund is off the table. Even then a 50% refund was offered if they closed the dispute. This was refused by client and instead escalated to "unauthorized". Which paypal even agreed was ridiculous as before I ever had a chance to call it was already closed by them.

For those of you asked "Why not auto suspend?". Basically its a system limitation. Modules garden isn't always known for thinking of everything with their modules. Even though our module has been pretty largely changed, it isn't something we have yet.

The moral of the story is communication, if you have a problem with your provider contact them through their support system. We are human too. But if you slap them in the face and dispute payment, don't expect much sympathy when you lose the dispute.

Thanked by 2erkin FlamesRunner
  • UndeadUndead Member

@Awmusic12635 said:
    Sorry for the late reply, I have been traveling (on vacation).

The issue here is quite simple. There was an overage that the client was charged for (rate defined in TOS). Typically these are just tacked on at the end of a billing cycle's next invoice so it can be easily seen, however a cancellation request was submitted which forced an auto generation of the invoice.

As some of you mentioned here, we bill using paypal billing agreements. ( For those of you providers: http://myworks.design/software/whmcs-paypal-billing-agreements-payment-gateway , I highly recommend it. One of the best decisions we made. No dealing with subscriptions. When they submit a cancellation request you just stop charging them no dealing with subscriptions, and it makes payments easier for the client (you basically bill like you would a credit card token). Well we auto charge invoices two days before they are due to make sure if an auto payment fails, the client has time to correct before their invoice is overdue. Well an instant generated invoice is due immediately and the system auto charged it on the next cron run.

You can always check your current bandwidth usage in the client area: https://www.evernote.com/l/AEA3T0DpDEVE-bPaGZcOHUdLi4pqRl--dWo . We get it though, mistakes happen and we consider ourselves very flexible. If there had been any attempt to contact us via a ticket, 99.9% chance it would have been refunded in full no questions asked. Instead it was disputed. So immediately a full refund is off the table. Even then a 50% refund was offered if they closed the dispute. This was refused by client and instead escalated to "unauthorized". Which paypal even agreed was ridiculous as before I ever had a chance to call it was already closed by them.

For those of you asked "Why not auto suspend?". Basically its a system limitation. Modules garden isn't always known for thinking of everything with their modules. Even though our module has been pretty largely changed, it isn't something we have yet.

The moral of the story is communication, if you have a problem with your provider contact them through their support system. We are human too. But if you slap them in the face and dispute payment, don't expect much sympathy when you lose the dispute.

So that's your response? Why didn't I use other merchants service encountered this problem? Your mistake to let user to bear the consequences, then you are to blame for the user to submit Paypal disputes, for you, the customer is not god? I think you this is the "induced consumption", the limitation of the system is some, but how other merchants did not appear this problem? In addition, I don't know what is Paypal dispute, I would also like to submit a work order, but I think the Paypal site will communicate the following rights to my advantage, I was just think that it is communication, not dispute, after all, my English is not good.

In front of the right and wrong, and I think some of the replies have showed that everyone's opinion. When I published this topic, Paypal is still not to make any response to my email, I will not use Paypal this dangerous thing again, just want to hear your opinion of my story. Look, I am not wrong!

• It's just a misunderstanding.

Thanked by 1miTgiB
  • lazytlazyt Member

Debian

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Lets take a lesson away from this.

Before signing up, ALWAYS CHECK how the provider handles additional bandwidth:
    a) unmetered
    b) automatically suspended when bandwidth allotment reached
    c) additional charges after allotment reached (with no maximum.)

In this DAY AND AGE of abuse and DDOS, I'll only go with option A or B.
    Option C can easily turn your $3 vps into a $3000 vps.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @Undead said:

>

wtf

• sinsin Member

wish my paypal balance was very dangeous...like a million dollars dangerous

• kaflokaflo Member

Oh man, I'm in that weird part of YouTube again.

Thanked by 1Termiet
  • I was going to reply to this then I forgot what I was going to say so here is a gif to sum it up.

• zedzed Member

Automated overage charges seems like a bad idea in this market, with noobs renting $3/mo boxes and no idea about security. I haven't run into this with any of the providers I use, but I'll certainly watch for it with future purchases (and avoid). I can see where it might be rather profitable.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

shovenose said: Great job raindoge

I've become a meme!

Thanked by 2ATHK hostdare
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@raindog308 said:

shovenose said: Great job raindoge

I've become a meme!

Such lowendmeme! Many creative! Very VPS! Much wow!

Thanked by 2hostdare raindog308
  • @Undead said:
    Your mistake to let user to bear the consequences, then you are to blame for the user to submit Paypal disputes

Classic generation Y! It's not the OP's fault his VPS used too much bandwidth, it's the provider's fault for not shutting the VPS down!

Insert golf clap here . . . well played, sir.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited July 2016

@Undead It depends on the Terms of Service (TOS).

PS: Use short and simple sentences with Google Translate.