Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

buyvm and frantech, why 2 names for 1 great company?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

buyvm and frantech, why 2 names for 1 great company?

I love the CP, works great. The servers appear to be snappy as can be also. Much faster then the SJ one I had in 2011. I got one of the e3 2GB vps's and WOW. Its killing my ramnode server which I thought was impossible to do honestly. Only have 1 question....

Why 2 names and 2 sites?

Comments

• Frantech is the main brand, then they have other brands such as BuyVM and BuyShared. Let's tag @Francisco to answer better than me.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @Nixtren said:
    Frantech is the main brand, then they have other brands such as BuyVM and BuyShared. Let's tag @Francisco to answer better than me.

I guess that would make sense. BuyVM looks so slick and then im at frantech whm which looks less slick but still nice, I am a curious person. This is clearly the most important thing I have today on my brain LOL.

• dailydaily Member

Most likely just much easier to manage multiple brands doing different things under a parent company.

• GCatGCat Member

It was spawned because @Francisco was drunk one night

• edited June 2016

Because two is usually better than one.

• It's not uncommon, brands may be to target specific markets.
    BuyShared, a Frantech company.

• KobeKobe Member

Frantech used to be a separate IT Consulting/Management company that offered managed hosting. They scrapped that brand and changed to strictly self-managed services.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@GCat said:

• @jcaleb said:

@GCat said:

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @jcaleb said:

THIS MAN HAS OUR DATA.

Thanked by 1GCat
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Microlinux said: THIS MAN HAS OUR DATA.

THIS MAN HAS MY DEBIT CARD NUMBER

• ATHKATHK Member

You forgot about BuyShared..

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Microlinux said:

@jcaleb said:

THIS MAN HAS OUR DATA.

And most people here uses this guy's nodes for production

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @jcaleb said:

@GCat said:

This man knows what he is doing and capable of managing servers. At least when he is sober.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Kobe said:
    Frantech used to be a separate IT Consulting/Management company that offered managed hosting. They scrapped that brand and changed to strictly self-managed services.

Kinda. Frantech started as a web development company in Victoria but I got shafted on multiple contracts where customers didn't pay. There was a lot of people wanting me to start offering hosting in a community I helped maintain so I investing most of my life savings to get that going.

A few clusterfuck later in Portland and such we ended up in Fremont. At this point we were kinda bored of doing the gameservers and I had just recently been gifted the buyvm domain. We decided we would do a market testbed to see what we could do in the unmanaged market.

I put a website together in a weekend and posted ads on WHT and LEB. Things took off and we pretty much right away stopped accepting new orders on the gameservers side of things.

As for why e still split billing off, we do have buyshared going strong and people really wanted things kept in a single billing panel. Whmcs doesn't support multi branding and we haven't had a large enough development window to replace it so we haven't bothered.

I'm glad you like the new plans :) let me know if you got any feedback to improve hem further.

Francisco

Thanked by 1tommy
  • @Francisco said:

@Kobe said:

Kinda. Frantech started as a web development company in Victoria but I got shafted on multiple contracts where customers didn't pay. There was a lot of people wanting me to start offering hosting in a community I helped maintain so I investing most of my life savings to get that going.

A few clusterfuck later in Portland and such we ended up in Fremont. At this point we were kinda bored of doing the gameservers and I had just recently been gifted the buyvm domain. We decided we would do a market testbed to see what we could do in the unmanaged market.

I put a website together in a weekend and posted ads on WHT and LEB. Things took off and we pretty much right away stopped accepting new orders on the gameservers side of things.

As for why e still split billing off, we do have buyshared going strong and people really wanted things kept in a single billing panel. Whmcs doesn't support multi branding and we haven't had a large enough development window to replace it so we haven't bothered.

I'm glad you like the new plans :) let me know if you got any feedback to improve hem further.

Francisco

I hear ya on webdesign being a headache, no matter how good its going its always a PITA! I idled my webdesign company Jan1 this year and started a personal project thats doing good.

The only think so far I see is that I would love to get those $7 2GB KVM nodes instead of OpenVZ in all locations! Im sure that takes time but count me excited. I have been a heavy vps user for the past few years and this outdoes ramnode. Love them also but your CP and price.... Im moving things at this point.

Thanked by 1Francisco