Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What we can do with a 128mb vps
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What we can do with a 128mb vps

CyberdigitalCyberdigital Member
edited June 2016 in General

Hello i am new to vps usage. I use vps only for webhosting and nothing more. I always see offers like 128mb vps for few bucks. Till now i could figure out only one use and that is vpn for one person. But i am interested to know what else we can do with it.

Hosting a website seems difficult to me as all the sharedhosting i use give me 2gb ram per account. Maybe cpu is more here.

Can we host a wordpress blog with 2000-3000 hits per month on such a 128mb server?

UPDATES:-
Usage listed till now
1. VPN
2. Low usage wordpress (seems difficult)
3. Flat file system websites
4. Teamspeak server
5. Proxy
6. Backup files
7. small php scripts

Comments

• Cyberdigital said: Can we host a wordpress blog with 2000-3000 hits per month on such a 128mb server?

If you run your MySQL database elsewhere, or switch to a flat file system blog it should work great. This does however depend on what plugins you have, some of the more popular ones are very poorly designed.

Thanked by 1Cyberdigital
  • @linuxthefish said:

Cyberdigital said: Can we host a wordpress blog with 2000-3000 hits per month on such a 128mb server?

If you run your MySQL database elsewhere, or switch to a flat file system blog it should work great. This does however depend on what plugins you have, some of the more popular ones are very poorly designed.

I thought so. But can you tell me whats the use of using a server with 256mb or 512mb ram when shared hosting gives 2gb ram. I know i/o will be more with vps but for a website like wordpress i/o matters more or ram?

• You can do a lot with 128MB. One way of thinking is to take a dedicated server from 10-15 years ago when that was the kind of RAM a dedicated server would have, and ask what you could do with that, back then.

I wouldn't run Wordpress on there, it's open ended, extensible and generally not very efficient. I'd say that most topics getting 2-3K hits a month should be able to make itself a few pennies every month to pay for itself, and certainly the value of the information should warrant a $xx a year. The extra hardware required is only a few bucks more.

• CyberdigitalCyberdigital Member
    edited June 2016

@ricardo said:
    You can do a lot with 128MB. One way of thinking is to take a dedicated server from 10-15 years ago when that was the kind of RAM a dedicated server would have, and ask what you could do with that, back then.

I wouldn't run Wordpress on there, it's open ended, extensible and generally not very efficient. I'd say that most topics getting 2-3K hits a month should be able to make itself a few pennies every month to pay for itself, and certainly the value of the information should warrant a $xx a year. The extra hardware required is only a few bucks more.

I do agree with you. And personally i never host them on vps less than 2gb ram. But i have seen some threads here on LEB only long back about running a wordpress on 128mb ram or so. I always had this curiosity that what else we can do with it.

• nepsneps Member

I know a some people host WP sites on 128MB servers, but for reasons other than having fun minmaxing, I personally wouldn't do it, considering how cheap it is to double or quadruple that RAM. I have a bunch of 128MB boxes running a lot of different things, but none of them are running WordPress.

Thanked by 1Cyberdigital
  • thatixthatix Member

Running WordPress smoothly on a box that has only 128MB RAM require lots of techniques, doesn't it ?

• JarryJarry Member

@Cyberdigital said:
    ...all the sharedhosting i use give me 2gb ram per account...

Really? I'd like to see how RAM (!) is calculated for shared (!) hosting. I always thought what you get with shared web-hosting is disk-space and database-space...

• @Jarry said:

@Cyberdigital said:

Really? I'd like to see how RAM (!) is calculated for shared (!) hosting. I always thought what you get with shared web-hosting is disk-space and database-space...

Even i was not knowing it. But when i saw it in my cpanel then i wondered how is this possible.
    I ll put a screenshot soon here.. Currently on the go.

• @Cyberdigital said:
    Hello i am new to vps usage. I use vps only for webhosting and nothing more. I always see offers like 128mb vps for few bucks. Till now i could figure out only one use and that is vpn for one person. But i am interested to know what else we can do with it.

TeamSpeak server

• nepsneps Member
    edited June 2016

thatix said: Running WordPress smoothly on a box that has only 128MB RAM require lots of techniques, doesn't it ?

I like to think that it creates a lot of problems that would be non-issues if you simply increased your monthly budget by a pretty insignificant amount.

Thanked by 1angrysnarl
  • MadMad Member
    edited June 2016

You can a MySQL server, DNS server. It really depends on the planned usage.

A WordPress site cannot run on a 128MB RAM.

• @andreamada said:
    A WordPress site cannot run on a 128MB RAM.

Not true.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited June 2016

Not true

Indeed. Turn memory usage down for PHP, MySQL and it'll run, it'll just hit the disk a lot more than if you had more memory allocated to running it. I'd imagine allocating about 10MB to memcached it'd run quite well.

While it can run on such memory limitations, it's a question of whether a) you're technically able and willing to get it running this way and b) whether it's worth the time and effort, IMO

• @jarry Here is the screenshot of my cpanel with shared hosting. I recently bought it.

• MadMad Member
    edited June 2016

"cannot" probably is not the best term though I would not suggest it especially if he is going to add external plugins.

• netrixnetrix Member
    edited June 2016

save backup files.

run small php scripts.

haproxy.

• JarryJarry Member

@Cyberdigital said:

@Jarry said:

@Cyberdigital said:

Even i was not knowing it. But when i saw it in my cpanel then i wondered how is this possible.
    I ll put a screenshot soon here.. Currently on the go.

I'd like to know how someone can calculate it. You have one web-server serving 100 vhosts-sites for 100 clients, and one database-server hosting 100 databases for 100 clients. Now how can you calculate how much is each client's web&db taking space in RAM?

• sinsin Member

You could buy a 128mb VPS with a provider that has DDoS protection (like SecureDragon) and use it as a reverse proxy to protect your websites. You could also buy a 128mb storage VPS to backup your servers to.

• You can host a small IRC server. Or host your own XMPP server.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • dailydaily Member

This is a bit of a dumb topic. First off the OP won't be able to edit it much longer.. Second, if you didn't know you could run WordPress on 128MB easily you need to do more research.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Cyberdigital said: Can we host a wordpress blog with 2000-3000 hits per month on such a 128mb server?

I was hosting a site for a while that does 3000 hits a day on 128 and it is more than fine.

• camargcamarg Member

I have two 128mb vps. One is hosting cpanel DNS only and the other one is hosting a couple of php driven sites (without SQL) and a VPN server.

• @jarry Here is the screenshot of my cpanel with shared hosting. I recently bought it.

What kind of shi* host uses "2028MB" as the denomination for 2GB?

Secondly, it is 100% possible to run WP on a 128MB VPS; I've done it before and it is not impossible assuming you use lighttpd + php-fpm optimized, etc instead of some crappy default LAMP installation.

• i use 128mb lowendspirit & quadhost for running small web-app with laravel framework (php, mariadb, nginx) & openvpn.

Thanked by 1redalertrox
  • JarryJarry Member

@Cyberdigital said:
    @jarry Here is the screenshot of my cpanel with shared hosting. I recently bought it.

I do not know since when "physical memory" means just and only RAM, but "Cloud Linux" does not seem to me like shared web-hosting, but more like VPS...

• KobeKobe Member

ZNC and IRC Bots are a big one that usually require less than 64MB RAM.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

You definitely can run a website on a OpenVZ powered VPS that has 128MB RAM.
    However not with stock php/sql configs - you'll definitely need to tweak these in order to keep memory usage down. The amount of concurrent connections will definitely be a limitation.
    For some static content 128MB should do the job just fine.
    Other cool purposes for a 128MB VPS;

• VPN
    • DNS
    • Fallback MX
    • Backup box
    • Monitoring
    • Test environment for another server
  • kaflokaflo Member

mine's both a seedbox and backup storage.