Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use for server deployment? Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use for server deployment? Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt

We run a mixture of linux & windows servers and the number of these server is quickly growing so we want to automate the deployment of them with a tool like chef / puttet etc and was wondering if any one had any suggestions, we do have a lot of windows servers so was looking for something that would offer both windows and linux?

Comments

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

We use ansible. It doesnt require an agent, and is quite easy to use.

We dont deploy to windows however I do understand it has support (deployment must be performed from Linux however)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

From what I recall, puppet is probably your best bet if you want to do windows as well.

Thanked by 1sipe
  • DamianDamian Member

I like ansible, because I can exec commands manually with it across nodes with a single command on a one-off basis if necessary.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I use ansible because it's leb friendly while puppet is...definitely not.

Puppet is also Ruby and I prefer python.

• BradNDBradND Member

@Awmusic12635 said:
    From what I recall, puppet is probably your best bet if you want to do windows as well.

If you need to deploy complex infrastructure projects to windows then I would 1000% recommend you to use System Center Orchestrator for this - ties into SCCM nicely. Obvious costs associated but this is the BEST way to do it for windows, puppet and chef don't come close to SCORCH.

For linux I'd recommend picking either chef or puppet, I personally use chef as I find it much lighterweight than puppet.

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited June 2016

I've found that Ansible + Choclatey work well for Windows (in terms of package deployment).

I prefer Ansible for Linux too as it doesn't need an agent and YAML is far friendlier on my eyes / brain. It also doesn't need a stack of resources like Chef / Salt or Puppet. Did I mention it has RH buy in too :P

• docker helps us a lot in development and deployment

• Salt.

Faster than Ansible as it uses an agent instead of ssh (It supports SSH as well). Not much need to know programming, other than Jinja2 templating and YAML configuration format.

Uses a bit of memory, but not too much. On a stripped down OpenVZ installation, it uses around 69.556MB