Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress Security Oopsie
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress Security Oopsie

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Vulnerability in WordPress Core: Bypass any password protected post. CVSS Score: 7.5 (High)

Whether it's a big deal depends on your site...rather disappointing that it took the WP team from May 6 to June 21 to plug this though.

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2016/06/wordpress-core-vulnerability-bypass-password-protected-posts/?utm_source=list&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1234567890

Thanked by 4deadbeef GCat fazar bersy

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Didn't even know it could do that. I always just hide private content behind htpasswd.

Thanked by 2Geekoine GCat
  • sinsin Member

I have like 100+ new emails sent from every updated Wordpress site.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Wordpress and security have no place in the same sentence. Once you install any custom theme or plugin your install is pretty much compromised. We've disabled the PHP mail() function on our cPanel server specifically because of Wordpress installs and the frequency they are hacked and used to send spam. The day I wake up to find not a single Wordpress instance hacked on our server will be a glorious day.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

The timeline is indeed unreasonable for this kind of issue, I can't understand why did it take them so long.

• Mmmmm, if its patched, it's fine imo, I have a cron running every 10 minutes (or an hour) to update WordPress Core, the plugins of all the WP installations on my server.

• KuJoe said: Once you install any custom theme or plugin your install is pretty much compromised.

no

• nepsneps Member

theroyalstudent said: Mmmmm, if its patched, it's fine imo, I have a cron running every 10 minutes (or an hour) to update WordPress Core, the plugins of all the WP installations on my server.

If all your plugins are well maintained, that's great, but I'd advise against someone who doesn't know what they're doing, with dozens of plugins across dozens of sites, doing this. A lot of WordPress.org plugins can be pretty careless with updates they roll out and auto-updating can break stuff while you're asleep pretty quick.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @KuJoe said:
    Wordpress and security have no place in the same sentence. Once you install any custom theme or plugin your install is pretty much compromised. We've disabled the PHP mail() function on our cPanel server specifically because of Wordpress installs and the frequency they are hacked and used to send spam. The day I wake up to find not a single Wordpress instance hacked on our server will be a glorious day.

Joe you make a great job ! Keep it up :)

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

@Abdussamad said:

KuJoe said: Once you install any custom theme or plugin your install is pretty much compromised.

no

I wish I was exaggerating but the quality of Wordpress themes/plugins is HORRIBLE. I've gotten to the point where I don't even report exploits to developers because they honestly don't care since my bug reports don't include $$$.

When the most common exploits for software are in THEMES, you know there's a problem. Why should themes have the ability to modify code in your web directories?

Thanked by 2mpkossen tux
  • KuJoe said: When the most common exploits for software are in THEMES, you know there's a problem. Why should themes have the ability to modify code in your web directories?

Exactly. There's no reason for that at all.

And not all themes are just themes anymore either. They include a control panel, "premium" options, and all kinds of other crap that makes it so much more than it should be: a layout for a website.

While I understand the idea behind this flexibility and don't think the principle of flexibility is a bad thing, the way it's been worked out has resulted in a seven-headed monster that is unfortunately the cause of a lot of damage.

Thanked by 3netomx KuJoe tux
  • GCatGCat Member

@KuJoe said:

If you crawl a bit, you'll see pretty much every theme that you can find is either vulnerable, or someone has intentionally backdoored and reuploaded it

Thanked by 1KuJoe
  • @mpkossen said:

KuJoe said: When the most common exploits for software are in THEMES, you know there's a problem. Why should themes have the ability to modify code in your web directories?

Exactly. There's no reason for that at all.

And not all themes are just themes anymore either. They include a control panel, "premium" options, and all kinds of other crap that makes it so much more than it should be: a layout for a website.

While I understand the idea behind this flexibility and don't think the principle of flexibility is a bad thing, the way it's been worked out has resulted in a seven-headed monster that is unfortunately the cause of a lot of damage.

Didn't they (try to) change that a while back, by forcing functionality into plugins and disallowing it within themes themselves?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jemaltz said: Didn't they (try to) change that a while back, by forcing functionality into plugins and disallowing it within themes themselves?

There are giant themes (genesis, epanel, etc.) which are barely wordpress any more...you're working in that theme's shortcodes, etc.

• I'm actually curious - Is there a recommend alternative to Wordpress that is on the same level of features?

Yes, I know there are many CMS and blogging platforms but not a ton that are on the same level as Wordpress.

• As a theme and plugin dev, yeaaaaaaaaaa. WP is less security focused nowadays. It will come back as some mega exploit one day and then everyone will take it serious, for a week.

• awvnxawvnx Member

@Nyr said:
    The timeline is indeed unreasonable for this kind of issue, I can't understand why did it take them so long.

Seems like they rolled up a lot of security updates into one patch.

https://wordpress.org/news/2016/06/wordpress-4-5-3/

• Wattt, .... grow up, man

@grimsdottir said:
    I'm actually curious - Is there a recommend alternative to Wordpress that is on the same level of features?

Yes, I know there are many CMS and blogging platforms but not a ton that are on the same level as Wordpress.

• @pedagang said:
    Wattt, .... grow up, man

@grimsdottir said:
    I'm actually curious - Is there a recommend alternative to Wordpress that is on the same level of features?

I asked a simple question - no need to be an asshole.

Thanked by 1pedagang
  • dailydaily Member

@grimsdottir said:

@pedagang said:
    Wattt, .... grow up, man

@grimsdottir said:

I asked a simple question - no need to be an asshole.

Ignore @pedagang, I don't think hes made a useful post in all 63 of his.

Thanked by 1pedagang
  • How to unhack any server that runs multiple WP websites:

#!/bin/bash
    find / -name "wp-*.php" -exec rm -rf {} \;
    echo "Looks like no more WordPress installations are present on your server :p"