Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any body have tried Ubuntu's LXC? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any body have tried Ubuntu's LXC?

2»

Comments

• @jarland said: Honestly I don't see a single issue with LXC or it's design that makes me shy away from it for personal use.

Me neither, don't get me wrong, but getting OVZ up and running with CentOS and OVZ Web Panel is easier than discovering LXC :) LXC is just not as mature yet as OpenVZ.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

OVZ web panel is amazing. Very active development. On my list of choices for a definite path to a forever panel this summer, it's sitting at #2. I just don't like altering ruby code ;)

• dnwkdnwk Member

RHEL distro has a security reputation. And looks like reputation only. Does anyone have any data to support that?

edited March 2013

@dnwk said: RHEL distro has a security reputation. And looks like reputation only. Does anyone have any data to support that?

How would one come up with this data exactly? RHEL has been a popular choice for security for a long time. They patch their kernel for security and they work in backports for necessary functionality while avoiding excessive modules that aren't necessary for server environments. That's like asking if a tank is better suited for war than a Volvo. Even if they have a similar number of accidents, they're playing different ball games. I'm not saying Ubuntu is a Volvo and RHEL is a tank, but I'm saying that in actual application RHEL has stood up against years of corporate environments that Ubuntu hasn't. We don't know which of the two it is on such a large scale because we haven't seen it. We can't compare them in practical application because they haven't been put up to the same tests.

RHEL knows how to build a kernel. That much is certain. Vulnerabilities will be found in anything. It's a matter of who do you trust to scrutinize new features and ask "Is this really necessary?" I trust RHEL to do that, I trust Ubuntu to add new features that I don't need. Every "feature" is another potential vulnerability. That's just my thoughts.

• dnwkdnwk Member
    edited March 2013

@jarland
    These are only theories. Need evidence(aka numbers or lab testing). Popular theories/methodology could still be wrong.

edited March 2013

Practical application is all you have. You can't lab test the real world. People don't act as you would write on paper, people discover many vulnerabilities.

Testing cannot substitute years of application. No way around it. New features present new opportunity...fact not theory. Ubuntu appreciates new features more than RHEL...fact not theory. Not every feature gets backported...fact not theory. That's all you get. No pie chart can tell this story. Even Debian stable uses .32 with key features backported.

Now 3.2 or 3.4 should have proven their qualities by now and I'm sure we'll be seeing them soon on the major distros, but anyone running the mainline kernel (3.9) on a server is playing with fire. There is little wrong with 2.6.32. It gets key backports all the time. If you're not a kernel developer, it's important to pick who you trust to tell you what is stable. RHEL has many years of reputation in this at a larger scale than Ubuntu. Does that make them better at it? Maybe, maybe not. Don't act like you've never taken into account how long someone has been doing something before you trust them over someone else. Time paints a picture. RHEL has done more to earn the trust. They've put in more time and effort. To be fair, I'd say the same of Debian. It's not a love for RHEL. In fact, Debian runs more web servers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu. But I'll run it on a client server over my dead body. A well stated comment I once read (had to search to find it again): "[RHEL] favours long term stability over moving goal posts that a rapid release cycle like Ubuntu inevitably chases. The very existance of a new Ubuntu version every 6 months undermines the stability and uniformity of the IT infrastructure."

This will always be a topic of high disagreement in the IT industry. As long as we live in peace, we will go back and forth on this matter. By no means is it a new topic for disagreement among sys admins ;)

• dnwkdnwk Member

Sometimes you will be surprised by the testing results and saying "I have been doing this for years and now you told me everything is wrong?"