Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Removing old kernels
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Removing old kernels

drmikedrmike Member
edited December 2011 in Help

Greets:

Can someone please cover removing old kernels off of debian? I ask because I'm sitting here on Google and, even with forcing debian in the results, Google is falling back to redhat.

From what I'm seeing, it's just:

apt-get remove --purge EXACT-OLD-KERNEL-NAME
update-grub

But I wanted to make sure.

thaks,
-drmike

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Why not use:

rm -rf

?

• That would remove the directory but still leave it within apt as well as the boot menu. Wouldn't it?

• apt-get purge linux-image-2.6.32-5-486

apt-get will rerun update-grub automatically.

• Just use aptitude for it

• @breton, this is for you:

(none):~# Just use aptitude for it
    -bash: Just: command not found
    (none):~# 

:)

@efball said: apt-get purge linux-image-2.6.32-5-486

I actually have the .32 current although it's the 686 one.

I'll just do the purge.

Thanks.

• oh you :)
    Aptitude is more convenient when you want to delete something and don't know what exactly you want to delete.

• If you remove the kernel you should probably remove the headers also (If you installed them)

dpkg --list | grep kernel

dpkg --purge linux-headers-2.6.xx-xx
    dpkg --purge linux-image-2.6.xx-xx

update-grub or update-grub2

(just to be sure)

• @jurgen said: If you remove the kernel you should probably remove the headers also (If you installed them)

The headers will be mentioned by apt as unnecessary packages and can be removed with 'autoremove'

• hairsplitting

• You could either use apt-get remove packagename and then apt-get update or rm -rf foldername :)

• @GH_Dom thanks for the bs response. Next time please review the question raised.

• Hm, I was removing old kernels from my Fedora laptop, and it made me realize how yum made it much simpler. It even removed the third oldest kernel leaving you the latest + a backup.

Sadly I reinstalled Windows on it :(.

• @Kairus said: Sadly I reinstalled Windows on it :(.

Maybe 'yum remove windows' ? ;)

• @sleddog said: Maybe 'yum remove windows' ? ;)

Haha, I really like Fedora (OpenSUSE too), but font rendering under linux is bad. Some web sites just looked terrible, like WHT, some were really hard to read, and I did a bunch of tweaks, installed all the windows fonts, and packages that altered the way fonts were rendered, but nothing could make it just like Windows. I got it close, but Firefox & Chrome still rendered fonts differently, I hope one day this is an area linux desktops focus on.

Thanked by 1japon
  • @Kairus said: Firefox & Chrome still rendered fonts differently

I find that Chrome font rendering is horrible under Linux. Iceweasel (Firefox) is good, though different from Firefox on Windows... for me it just took a little while to get used to those differences.

• I hate what new Windows applications do: force you to get along with anti-aliasing, even though you switched it off in the Windows prefs. I strongly dislike AA.