Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Scaleway is pissing me off
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Scaleway is pissing me off

In the last days, rebooting a C2 server brings it into unusable state half of the time. Going in the console, it's usually some failling message regarding storage or networking. Other times it shows the login prompt and dies when you press enter.

The solution is to reboot it from the web interface until it manages to reboot properly. Which sucks.

Those guys have a nice product but it's the little things that make or break usage.

Comments

• rdesrdes Member

Maybe you should not restart your server so often ;). I can't imagine in which scenario it's nedeed to reboot so many times per week..

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

rdes said: Maybe you should not restart your server so often ;). I can't imagine in which scenario it's nedeed to reboot so many times per week..

And yet, it should still work regardless...

• @rdes said:
    I can't imagine in which scenario it's nedeed to reboot so many times per week..

That's because you're not developing complex shit in your machines ;)

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, if you develop shit in your machine, you shouldn't expect to work it correctly....
    I mean it's shit. Who likes shit?

Thanked by 1default
  • @deank said:
    Well, if you develop shit in your machine, you shouldn't expect to work it correctly....

Shit is organic, organic is health, heath is good, shit is good.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

They had these issues also in Beta, well get a Dedi then.

I dont like that Cloud crap, only a Dedicated box is REAL shit.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited June 2016

@Neoon said:
    They had these issues also in Beta,

:/

well get a Dedi then.

Who would have thought! :)

I dont like that Cloud crap, only a Dedicated box is REAL shit.

Thing is that cloud crap can be really useful when you want to provision new shit and have it join your clusters without much fuss.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

deadbeef said: Thing is that cloud crap can be really useful when you want to provision new shit and have it join your clusters without much fuss.

Apparently fuss > usefulness with Scaleway.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I had filesystem corruptions on reboot of the Scaleway ARM a couple of times. These cloud semi-dedis are way too complicated for their own good, with this network storage and copying of the root image back and forth. Better stick to plain old dedis or even plain KVM VPSes with local storage.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
    edited June 2016

@raindog308 said:
    Apparently fuss > usefulness with Scaleway.

Exactly, thus me being pissed off and making a thread to vent :)

• seenuseenu Member

I have this problem in a DO SG vps but i always think its because i messed up something myself,

so i go to DO site and reboot via web interface

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • use the cli app instead of the web admin. There are a few mentions in their forum of rebooting the c2 servers and then either it wont boot for a day or or will claim to be loading. Using the cli I've been able to both stop servers and restart them if the web ui decides its call out sick time.

Thanked by 2deadbeef vimalware
  • Same hardware Dedibox XC SSD 2016:

Uptime: 23:44:32 up 54 days, 1:55, 0 users, load average: 1.39, 1.27, 0.92

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • I've noticed that the default bootscript causes issues with certain (32 bit) applications. Changing it to the latest stable bootscript fixed a lot of issues for me.

edited June 2016

@Spacedust said:
    Same hardware Dedibox XC SSD 2016:

Nice. Tried to buy, unfortunately none of my cards support 3D verification and was unable to pay. Guess it's back to Hetzner now :/

• SpacedustSpacedust Member
    edited June 2016

I told that before - none of my credit/debit cards support 3D and all works fine with Online.net.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@deadbeef said:

@Spacedust said:
    Same hardware Dedibox XC SSD 2016:

Nice. Tried to buy, unfortunately none of my cards support 3D verification and was unable to pay. Guess it's back to Hetzner now :/

Well, if your card doesn't support 3D it should normally get authorised regardless, giving normally the same protection to the merchant as if the transaction would actually pass 3D verification. That is unless merchant configured it otherwise or merchant has a poor acquirer.