Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do KVM servers automatically seperate CPU load for each user?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do KVM servers automatically seperate CPU load for each user?

ZiriusPHZiriusPH Member
edited June 2016 in General

Wondering which virtualization should I choose (OpenVZ or KVM), i had a lot of experience with OpenVZ to variety of host and sometimes they do email you if your service is consuming a lot of resource.

So I tried a KVM for the first time, and top command shows that I am using at ~80% of the CPU (though they said its 1core). And never had issue or email received from the host. I searched on google and "somehow" understood that hosts usually segregate CPU load for each user as option in KVM.

I would be running my programs I made in the university and I think I'll be needing high CPU load, and to be honest I don't want to cause my neighbors a lot of trouble. So it would be really ass-saver if KVM can automatically tell you up to which point you can utilize the CPU load.

Can somebody confirm about this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Yep use KVM. With OpenVZ if your VPS has high load then it can and will affect your neighbours and you'll be suspended if that happens whereas with KVM you can't affect your neighbours, not easily at least.

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • If you have one CPU core assigned to your KVM VM then your using 80% of that one core, and having no other effect on CPU resources across the remaining cores.

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • @zafouhar said:
    Yep use KVM. With OpenVZ if your VPS has high load then it can and will affect your neighbours and you'll be suspended if that happens whereas with KVM you can't affect your neighbours, not easily at least.

Thank you for confirmation.

@AshleyUk said:
    If you have one CPU core assigned to your KVM VM then your using 80% of that one core, and having no other effect on CPU resources across the remaining cores.

Thanks! that being said, does that mean a-8core server can only host 8 1core KVM plans? I think hosting KVM plans is not really profitable at all. feels bad for hosts.

• @ZiriusPH said:

Thanks! that being said, does that mean a-8core server can only host 8 1core KVM plans? I think hosting KVM plans is not really profitable at all. feels bad for hosts.

Well that is where overselling comes in because not everyone will use their 1core in full, some people will leave it idling, some people will just pay and never use it so once you put all these factors together you can oversell the CPU assuming you have enough disk on the server.

Thanked by 1ZiriusPH
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

the above is not entirely correct. Host CPU can be oversold with KVM too. And you can assign a dedicated core with OpenVZ too, though it won't work as great as with KVM.

Thanked by 2vimalware ZiriusPH
  • @ZiriusPH said:

@zafouhar said:
    Yep use KVM. With OpenVZ if your VPS has high load then it can and will affect your neighbours and you'll be suspended if that happens whereas with KVM you can't affect your neighbours, not easily at least.

Thank you for confirmation.

@AshleyUk said:
    If you have one CPU core assigned to your KVM VM then your using 80% of that one core, and having no other effect on CPU resources across the remaining cores.

Nothing to stop them overselling and having two VM's fighting for the same 1 physical core. Just where OpenVZ you can effect other users, KVM you have more isolation.

Thanked by 2vimalware ZiriusPH
  • Great synchronization guys @exception0x876 @AshleyUk - all posted at the same time :D

Thanked by 1AshleyUk
  • @exception0x876 said:
    And you can assign a dedicated core with OpenVZ too, though it won't work as great as with KVM.

And I learned something new.

• yomeroyomero Member

@vimalware said:

@exception0x876 said:
    And you can assign a dedicated core with OpenVZ too, though it won't work as great as with KVM.

And I learned something new.

Why it won't work as great?

OpenVZ has almost zero overhead.