Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for hosting near Vancouver?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestions for hosting near Vancouver?

Hey all,

Just looking around for suggestions on hosting for a Vancouver audience. Looking into Toronto (DO), Seattle (Vultr) so far. Any other providers/locations I should consider? It would be awesome to get something in Vancouver, but so far I've only really found vps.net...

Providers with API heavily preferred, although not required. I do know there are some canadian data privacy laws that require you to keep personal information within Canada. Does anyone have any knowledge about these laws? Does this apply even if I'm collecting name/email/address for billing purposes?

Regards,
Jonchun

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

We have quite a good bit of customers from Canada that heavily favor our Seattle location because of the great connect they get between it and Canada (especially Vancouver)

Or any other provider in Incero Seattle should have a great connection as well.

• PacManPacMan Member

OneProvider has VPS in Vancouver and Montreal and dedicated servers in multiple Canadian locations.

I've not tried those locations personally myself, so can't really tell you much about the network.

• @Awmusic12635 said:
    We have quite a good bit of customers from Canada that heavily favor our Seattle location because of the great connect they get between it and Canada (especially Vancouver)

Or any other provider in Incero Seattle should have a great connection as well.

Thanks for the info! I figured Seattle would have a pretty great connection (I'll have to do a little more investigating on Vultr). If I were to go Seattle, I would probably end up going with RN or Vultr, but I'll definitely put you guys on the list. (I'd just rather stay a client than find a new host for no reason). I know there are Vultr haters and fanboys, but I'm really only considering them because 1) they're pretty large and 2) they have an api

I'm just a little worried about Seattle because I haven't fully investigated Canadian data privacy laws. Don't really want to deal with it and might be worth just going for Toronto even with the increased latency simply because websites aren't really latency sensitive (which is mainly what will be hosted)

• @PacMan said:
    OneProvider has VPS in Vancouver and Montreal and dedicated servers in multiple Canadian locations.

I've not tried those locations personally myself, so can't really tell you much about the network.

Judging from the other offers at OneProvider, not sure it's a great idea to go with them.

• rokokrokok Member
    edited June 2016

Servarica, they are Canadian company you can ask them the law.

• if you are hosting latency specific application perhaps seattle is best due to combination of price and distance, often times Canadian peering loops to US anyways so that's something to consider.

Thanked by 1click4easy
  • lootloot Member

You can do a custom one with unmeterered.io, they're more of an ISP but they'll work with ya.

And perosnalized legal advice? Gotta talk to a local attorney in person. In the US the local bar association should be your first stop, not sure about Canadia though.