Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have a VPS, but what is it and how do I connect?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I have a VPS, but what is it and how do I connect?

CraHeXCraHeX Member
edited March 2013 in General

But seriously, this super-basic questions keep getting out of hand.
I've noticed a few forums getting spammed by super-basic questions that can be easily solved by googling (a start guide).

Comments

• and what do you suggest?

• Stickying a guide or at least a link to google.

• dnomdnom Member
    edited March 2013

If you don't know what is a VPS at all, you probably don't need it.
    If you actually plan to do anything with your vps, then start asking "how do I do XXXX"

So how do you connect to it?

You probably have your SSH login details, if so follow this:
    http://www.webfusion.co.uk/support/answers/how-do-i-connect-using-ssh-putty-2378/
    (1st result goolge)

If that does not work, you should provide more details on what you have and what you want to do.
    EDIT: just realized OP is not really asking the question on the title.

• @CraHeX said: Stickying a guide or at least a link to google.

So that means you have not done search nor Google around. LEB/LET has a wiki and there is also lowendguide.com

• may be suggest linode library

• DamianDamian Member
    edited March 2013

Some people just need a basic guide. Most people know what they want to do ("I want to have a VPN", or "I want to host websites", for example) but after moving from the hand-holding of shared hosting, don't know how to do it.

I find that determining what a client wants to do, then providing them with some guidance on what to do or link them a few tutorials, goes a long way.

• CraHeXCraHeX Member
    edited March 2013

Like said here above, most people want to get a VPS. And once they have one they have absolutely no future to do something with it. And they'd be just trying things around.

And for the record: Some people think I actually asked "I have a VPS, but what is it and how do I connect?". I've been with VPSs for a few years and my major concern was that these new people keep asking.

• dnomdnom Member

@CraHeX said: And for the record: Some people think I actually asked "I have a VPS, but what is it and how do I connect?". I've been with VPSs for a few years and my major concern was that these new people keep asking.

Sorry about that :P this what happens when reading LET @ 2:22 AM

• There are always newcomers in everything.
    On a different perspective, you should see it as an opportunity: i.e. build a newbie-friendly knowledgebase and start pointing those newcomers to your site. If you're a provider, it will build exposure and reputation. If you're not, well perhaps you can say hello to advertisements.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I see these questions in support tickets far more than on forums. Makes me think I'm doing something horribly wrong that people can purchase a product and not know what it is.

• I see nothing wrong with super-basic questions. Googling is not the magic solution... there is a lot of (often conflicting) advice out there, and it can be overwhelming for a newbie.

It's a community forum. Instead of complaining, why not simply provide a little help?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@jarland you have no idea, it's hilarious when they ask what their root username is.

• @CraHeX said: I have a VPS, but what is it and how do I connect?

Why would you buy a VPS if you don't know what it is?

• I used serial console for like a month on my very first OpenVZ VPS, then one day realized SSH runs on port 22 on your own IP by default. So funny when I think back about the fact that I just couldn't get SFTP working :-)

• Welcome to the dark side ...