Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No More cPanel?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No More cPanel?

tobiasgtobiasg Member
edited March 2013 in General

Could I run a VPS without installing cPanel?
I mean, is there a way to do everything I do in cPanel in SSH?
Is there a cheat sheet out there that says "If you were going to do this in cPanel, here is the Unix command"?
i.e. creating new accounts, changing IPs, etc.

Comments

• jhjh Member

Yes, take a look at something like Minstall for example, which gives you simple commands to create vhosts etc.

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited March 2013

Webmin is a free alternative to cPanel
    http://www.webmin.com/
    You would be much better learning how to do it all manually, once you know how it's easier and quicker than using a panel

• earlearl Member

webmin is not user friendly at all.. could never really get use to it no matter how hard i try

• @earl said: webmin is not user friendly at all.. could never really get use to it no matter how hard i try

I find webmin very user friendly, although if your managing multiple domains etc or you want a working web/email/mysql/dns server out of the box you should be using virtualmin instead.

Webmin is just intended to provide a GUI for managing your system.

• manmamanma Member

I recommend something like minstall. I got a cheap VPS in August 2011 without knowing the first thing about the Linux command line, and with the help of lowendtalk and a few scripts like minstall, I've managed to get things running perfectly, without any GUI tools.

• or try tuxlite

• @superpilesos said: Webmin is a free alternative to cPanel

http://www.webmin.com/

I think you mean Virtualmin (http://www.virtualmin.com).

@earl said: webmin is not user friendly at all.. could never really get use to it no matter how hard i try

You state it like it's a fact, which I think it's not. I personally find Virtualmin a lot easier and friendlier to use than cPanel. It's just a matter of what you use and what you're used to.

I've used Virtualmin for some time now and I'm extremely happy with it. I'm about to start offering shared hosting with it.

• Great info! Thanks to all! I think I will take a look at Virtualmin as an alternative.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited March 2013

It really depends on what all you do with your VPS in cPanel. Set up what cPanel calls "addon domains"? Just add an A record or two to the domain and an Apache virtual host. File manager? SFTP. E-mail? Lots of mail software available for Linux, and even more tutorials on how to use them all. Or just get Google Apps.

The ultimate answer to your question "can I do everything cPanel does with SSH" is definitely "yes" - cPanel doesn't sprinkle magic sauce on your VPS that makes it go beyond OS commands. Is there some easy cheat sheet? Not that I know of, but Google is your friend. Since switching from shared hosting with cPanel to using a VPS, I haven't looked back.

Yes, it's a bit more complicated, but it's worth it in two ways: experience and cost. You'll gain a lot more experience managing your server hands-on, and considering how much extra cPanel costs, you can save enough money to pick up a couple of extra servers for extra website separation.

• earlearl Member

@mpkossen said: You state it like it's a fact, which I think it's not.

It is a fact for me!! webmin, virtualmin is not intuitive at all!!

I'm sure they have a big enough following otherwise the project would have died off but from my personal opinion it is not an option to replace cPanel.. at one time Kloxo was a good alternative but I don't think Webmin or virtualmin ever was!

Aside from you how many other people can say virtualmin is easier than cPanel??

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@earl said: It is a fact for me!!

You're misunderstanding what a 'fact' is. An actual fact is universal (or claimed to be), and doesn't depend on your personal views. It's something that can be universally observed or determined.

Saying "it's a fact for me" is incorrect, regardless of what it's about. If it only is or seems a certain way for you, it wasn't a fact to begin with.

• @earl virtualmin is easier than cpanel

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@Bogdacutuu said: @earl virtualmin is easier than cpanel

In what way? Does it contain some faster way of clicking among icons?

• zPanel is a good free cPanel alternative but last time I looked there were security bugs. Think they've been fixed though

• earlearl Member

@joepie91 said: Saying "it's a fact for me" is incorrect, regardless of what it's about. If it only is or seems a certain way for you, it wasn't a fact to begin with.

I was using fact as an idiom or a figure of speech to say in reality or actually and not stipulating that my opinion is factual!!.

Technically there should be no fact on something that is based on opinion, what one person finds easy may not be for another.

• earlearl Member

@Bogdacutuu said: @earl virtualmin is easier than cpanel

I was not being literal..I'm sure lots of folks can type that statement.

• @earl said: It is a fact for me!! webmin, virtualmin is not intuitive at all!!

lol, whatever you want man :)

@earl said: I'm sure they have a big enough following otherwise the project would have died off but from my personal opinion it is not an option to replace cPanel.. at one time Kloxo was a good alternative but I don't think Webmin or virtualmin ever was!

Fine :) I'm just stating my opinion and trying to help the OP.

@earl said: Aside from you how many other people can say virtualmin is easier than cPanel??

I don't know, we could ask? I have seen a lot of people choosing Virtualmin over cPanel, but I don't know for what reasons. Some I could think of is: ease-of-use, cost, more (powerful) features, security, it doesn't take over your entire system... Should I go on? ;)

@tobiasg: Virtualmin is perfect if you also want to use the command line. It's a system that's designed to work complementary to the command line. That's a lot different from cPanel. So if you want to keep all options open, I would personally advise you to go with Virtualmin. If it doesn't suit you, you can always switch :)

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying that using cPanel prevents you from using the command line. It was just designed different from Virtualmin. It's dependency on it's own packages for a lot of software in an example of that.

• earlearl Member

@mpkossen said: Fine :) I'm just stating my opinion and trying to help the OP.

exactly what I was trying to do..

It seems that I have to be careful on how I voice my opinion, all I said was webmin / virtualmin to me is not user friendly and maybe I offended people?

so much so that I had the dictionary police try to correct my word, when I'm sure he understood the context of which the word was being used without me having to explain it!

• @earl said: webmin is not user friendly at all.. could never really get use to it no matter how hard i try

same happen to me, so, i dont login never, and cant delete it, i have 2TB of data there :p

• If you only want the hosting use lighttpd and simple-vhost. It is explained in the LET wiki and I'm using it by myself. Couldn't be easier.

• twaintwain Member

@jcaleb said: or try tuxlite

+1

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited March 2013

@tobiasg Yes, You can do even more things by using shell rather than using relatively limited web panels and such. cPanel on a VPS only for personal usage is a waaaay to big overkill. However You need more experience, and for that You need to be patient and persistent. Determine a goal. Then determine the steps necessary to achieve that goal, then divide those steps into substebs, divide until You resolve trivial problems, resolve all trivial problems and You will assemble the complex goal. Use Google if You can't figure out something. First learn the most basic steps, (how OS works, what is shell, how to program stuff), and then learn and make more and more complex things.

For example, You want to host Your own php web site, okay, You'll find out that You probably need: Apache, php, MySQL.
    Now, find out how to install all of them on You Linux distro via using shell, then find out how to basic configure and optimize. Then host Your site, etc.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited March 2013

@tobiasg

I am the world's laziest person when it comes to setting up servers for my own use, I throw cPanel on them because it's quick and easy. That was until the tail end of last year I realized I was giving hostdime $70+ a month, for what? Me being lazy, and just for personal projects! Nah, no more I said.

So I started one by one dropping cPanel, fresh centos install and started getting a basic LAMP setup, then adding just what I needed. Not only am I am learning a lot more than I would have but I don't actually need as much resource because I am cutting out all the crap this non value added. Things run faster and smoother too.

Now hostdime get $28 a month and that will be $14 soon.

As already mentioned, cPanel is only doing what you could do yourself and yes it's the convenience of it all however as you install things and start working on config files you start seeing all the settings you are used to modifying when in WHM so that familiar feel about what you are doing is there, just in a different view.

Checkout the linode.com library and also digitalocean.com as they have a lot of useful tutorials as well.

By the time cPanel installs on a VPS I can now have it setup faster and running more efficiently! Go me! :)

• @W1V_Lee Congrats!

• earlearl Member

@dedicados said: same happen to me, so, i dont login never, and cant delete it, i have 2TB of data there :p

Haha.. well guess you should get some credit for going that far that you actually put Data on it..