Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenBSD? ...and Introduction, because you guys are cool.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenBSD? ...and Introduction, because you guys are cool.

I'm always looking for a good ISP/VPS/DS deal and looking for providers offering unique service and OS/stack options. I currently operate Tor relays, I2P routers, Freenet nodes, IRC bouncers & servers, and type I & type II remailers. The above is of course offered as a donation to the the free Internet I love. In the past I've offered a free cryto mails service and free site/forum hosting. I hope to do that again soon and offer some other free or nearly free services including a VPN and XMPP service. If you're interested in or need help or advice concerning the above or related things, feel free to shoot me an email. I'd also love to colaborate on projects.

At present I'm looking for a couple of VPS services offered on the cheap. Let me know if you're aware of any providor offering a cheap OpenBSD option, even if I have to create and upload the VM myself. And second, a cheap unmetered connection or very high bandwidth allotment with any OS. Disk space and CPU doesn't matter for either, but 128MB rather than 64MB ram would be good and it'd be super cool if the link was fast/unshared. What's cheap to me is something a decent bit and hopefully a lot less than $10/month, like $7 or less, because at more than that price numerous providers have really good stuff on offer.

Again, feel free to send me an email anytime at my profile address or at [email protected]. I'm also doing Jabber currently at [email protected] (TLS/SSL encryption required).

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello, enjoy your stay over here.

I can offer free BSD on a KVM in Sofia, Bulgaria. There's an offer posted over here. HMU if you need any more information ;)

• kingpinkingpin Member
    edited June 2016

Was just about to mention BSDvm, but found out that they're shutting down :-(

They're recommending DO, Vultr, Atlantic.net (LET thread), RootBSD, and Cloudsigma as an alternative. But I think you could go just with any host offering KVM plans.

• aglodekaglodek Member
    edited June 2016

@AlexBarakov said: I can offer free BSD on a KVM in Sofia, Bulgaria…

I believe he expressed interest in OpenBSD. The two are worlds apart.

• tommytommy Member

prmgr, tinykvm

• sinsin Member
    edited June 2016

Hostus (kvm) and Liteserver.nl (kvm) both have OpenBSD isos or you can use something like VULTR or Lunanode which offers you to mount your own iso for install.

Thanked by 2aglodek LiteServer
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

127001 said: Let me know if you're aware of any providor offering a cheap OpenBSD option, even if I have to create and upload the VM myself.

I've run OpenBSD at:

• BuyVM
    • Ramnode
    • Hostigation
    • Digital Ocean
    • AWS (but it's not supported)
    • later today, Vultr.

...and probably other places. Really, anyplace that offers KVM can run OpenBSD.

One tip is to use virtio and read the vio(4) man page. I find the kernel can panic if bit 0x2 is not set, though my notes reflect OpenBSD 5.5...I still do it, though, and it's still on the man page:

#config -ef /bsd 
    OpenBSD 5.5-current (RAMDISK_CD) #147: Wed May 28 13:56:39 MDT 2014 
    [email protected]:/usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/compile/RAMDISK_CD 
    Enter 'help' for information 
    ukc> find vio 
    146 vio* at virtio* flags 0x0 
    ukc> change 146 
    146 vio* at virtio* flags 0x0 
    change [n] y 
    flags [0] ? 2 
    146 vio* changed 146 vio* at virtio* flags 0x2
     ukc> quit 
    Saving modified kernel.

• @127001 Depending on where in the world you're located, RootBSD has been incredibly stable, and the team over there is pretty awesome.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

raindog308 said: One tip is to use virtio and read the vio(4) man page. I find the kernel can panic if bit 0x2 is not set, though my notes reflect OpenBSD 5.5...I still do it, though, and it's still on the man page:

My experience with OpenBSD 5.8 and 5.9 is that it works out of the box on KVM. (Yes, use virtio for both network card and disk driver.)

• angstromangstrom Moderator

raindog308 said: Really, anyplace that offers KVM can run OpenBSD.

Just to echo what @raindog308 said, BuyVM, Hostigation, and Ramnode are all good choices for OpenBSD. In my experience, it's definitely worth asking a KVM provider beforehand whether they would be willing to make an OpenBSD ISO available, because some providers will say no to custom ISOs. (It has nothing to do with KVM -- it's simply that some providers don't want to upload custom ISOs.)