Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What open source cloud storage can you recommend (for personal use)? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What open source cloud storage can you recommend (for personal use)?

2»

Comments

• CrogicCrogic Member

Does anyone have a working nginx (1.10.1) Pydio 6 configuration?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@librewebspace said:
    Seafile the best you can do, it has strong client side encryption on iOS and Android too. What more can you expect?

Just tried seafile but too much ram. It requires min 2gb and time4vps storage hast 512mb

• Ympker said: It requires min 2gb and time4vps storage hast 512mb

wow 2GB, what for? saved me some time

guess I'll look closer at pydio for a nice personal cloud. might back it with minio just so I can make it kinda frontend-agnostic in case i have to jump to owncloud

• BochiBochi Member

Nyr said: Honestly, ownCloud is utter shit and dangerous to use for anything important.

Care to elaborate on that pretty harsh claim?

• tommytommy Member

Bochi said: Care to elaborate on that pretty harsh claim?

I'll try to answer from my experience : desktop/mobile client not stable (how many times owncloud gonna upload same file?), web ui slow as hell if you had many pictures, when you had conflict file owncloud really annoying, untill you remove conflict file or rename your files, etc etc

• NomadNomad Member

@Bochi said:

Nyr said: Honestly, ownCloud is utter shit and dangerous to use for anything important.

• no security on server side. And oh... When the developers didn't like it. The issues and pr requests are on a decline. So many developers left OC and forked Nextcloud.

Had always trouble updating for me, never was stable enough. Could be broken easily, like a girl. And oh... No delta updating. (Seafile has it)

• I tried to config Swift Storage in Pydio and Seafile without success :(, Do you know some way to configure it?, I don't wanna to configure Owncloud, Thanks you

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2016

For everyone interested: I acctually decided to stick with ownCloud now as my storage vps has only 512mb ram which isn't enough for seafile, stacksync and others and instead encrypt my important files&documents with a 256 bit Pw using https://www.aescrypt.com/ . Guess this is atleast a fair approach to keep my private data save.

• BochiBochi Member

@tommy said:

Bochi said: Care to elaborate on that pretty harsh claim?

I'll try to answer from my experience : desktop/mobile client not stable (how many times owncloud gonna upload same file?), web ui slow as hell if you had many pictures, when you had conflict file owncloud really annoying, untill you remove conflict file or rename your files, etc etc

Can't back that with my own experience, but have to admit that I never used the sync client. However some of my colleagues do and atleast they didn't complain about. Problem with the concurrency got better with the use of redis and such, but all instances I am running are not that crowded anyway.
    And I only got a few hundred pictures stored in my own instance, so that might be the reason why i didn't face that problem ether.

@Nomad said:

@Bochi said:

• no security on server side. And oh... When the developers didn't like it. The issues and pr requests are on a decline. So many developers left OC and forked Nextcloud.

Had always trouble updating for me, never was stable enough. Could be broken easily, like a girl. And oh... No delta updating. (Seafile has it)

Well, you have a point there - having to update the whole instance at once always annoyed me. But atleast the updater has improved lately.
    "Fixed" that by somehow creating my own update stategies.
    But yes, the thing with the developers switching to Nextcloud somehow scares me...

• raynorraynor Member
    edited June 2016

@Ympker Good choice and good luck :)
    Here is our $25 dedicated server for ownClowd 9 production education network (approx. 150 users now and coming). All resources are excessive and real load is low now, but we'll see with more users in several months. 100 Mbps (250 burstable) is bottleneck... not yet, but expected in future, so maybe will change server due to it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2016

@raynor said:
    @Ympker Good choice and good luck :)
    Here is our $25 dedicated server for ownClowd 9 production education network (approx. 150 users now and coming). All resources are excessive and real load is low now, but we'll see with more users in several months. 100 Mbps (250 burstable) is bottleneck... not yet, but expected in future, so maybe will change server due to it.

Haha ye I guess my choice was ok for my needs^^ Was definitly interesting to see your input though :)