Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH threatening with Legal proceedings for £1.30
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH threatening with Legal proceedings for £1.30

MonsteRMonsteR Member
edited March 2013 in General

So I had a SIP line with OVH for a while I requested it to be cancelled 3 Months ago they told me I needed to pay the invoice first then it will be done.
I paid, got another invoice last month just paid it as couldn't be bothered with a week long conversation with OVH support, Then this month comes up so I wanted to get this ended as they clearly seem to be in the wrong, As it was already cancelled but they continue to send invoices.
So this month I have been speaking with their support for about a week trying to get this sorted and from this time I got a invoice reminder everyday only £1.30 outstanding (The debt we owe them words from OVH support) but still, When a service is cancelled you shouldn't be expected to keep paying for it as we have our new line from voip.ms since a few months ago witch is great no issues.
So today I get a invoice witch has at the bottom

We regret to inform you that we will also be commencing legal proceedings without further delay for the recovery of all outstanding moneys owed.

Screenshot
http://gyazo.com/bb92e67c252f7dbba35e986e256360b3

Bearing in mind this is £1.30 we are talking about.
So in the end I just paid the invoice and hope they don't keep sending me invoices for a service I cancelled months ago, The point of this post is just wondering what people thought about the Legal threat for the amount of £1.30 because from my opinion I shouldn't of kept being charged in the first place, But for legal threats is a little extreme for £1.30?

Comments

• Are you sure that was not an automated message?

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited March 2013

@Bogdacutuu said: Are you sure that was not an automated message?

I don't believe it was as I haven't noticed it on any invoices from OVH before.

• earlearl Member

I think 1&1 would put you to collections for that amount and they are based in London as well, so yes it's possible OVH will come after you even for a small sum..

I have had the library threaten to put me to collections for an overdue book , so in the end it's probably not worth the hassle just pay the small the sum and be done with it.

• @earl said: I think 1&1 would put you to collections for that amount and they are based in London as well, so yes it's possible OVH will come after you even for a small sum..

1und1.de do
    Also server.lu do

• @earl I have no issue with Legal side, As if they try to take it further surely they will get laughed in court or who ever they refer it too, But I paid just for peace sake as I don't have time to be having legal battle over £1.30 (about the cost of a coffee from costa coffee :) )

• earlearl Member

@MonsteR said: But I paid just for peace sake as I don't have time to be having legal battle over £1.30 (about the cost of a coffee from costa coffee :) )

Exactly.. I'm sure it's just a scare tactic on OVH's part, but would seem silly if the small sum ended up ruining your credit report!

• support123support123 Member
    edited March 2013

@MonsteR I will pay for you :) Send me your login by PM.

• @ftpit Thanks for the offer, But I already paid :), Didn't want the bailiffs Raiding our UK and USA data centers for Hardware... lol

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@MonsteR said: @earl I have no issue with Legal side, As if they try to take it further surely they will get laughed in court or who ever they refer it too, But I paid just for peace sake as I don't have time to be having legal battle over £1.30 (about the cost of a coffee from costa coffee :) )

Do realize that, once it goes to collections, a serious fee is tacked on. Even for 1.30 GBP.

• MartinDMartinD Member
    edited March 2013

Ignore it - it's not actioned.

I get these constantly for our sip line with them. I'm actually cancelling it today as the quality has been going downhill for a while.

I've noticed they only ever use this "legal" threat with the sip service and nothing else.

Actually, there's their email to me this morning:

You can proceed with the payment at the following address:

https://www.ovh.co.uk/cgi-bin/order/displayOrder.cgi?orderId=blahblahblah

If we do not receive any payments from you within 3 days, we will suspend your services and apply a late fee.

We regret to inform you that we will also be commencing legal proceedings without further delay for the recovery of all outstanding moneys owed.

If you have already sent us your payment, please contact our support as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully,

OVH LTD

3 Southwark street
    London
    SE1 1RQ
    Tel: 020 7357 6616
    Fax: 020 7378 7703
    Registered company 5519821
    E-mail: [email protected]

• @joepie91 said: Do realize that, once it goes to collections, a serious fee is tacked on. Even for 1.30 GBP.

Even if the invoice/bill is sent when the service has been cancelled ? As I am sure they wouldn't be able to Justify that. But yet again when it comes down to big company's it isn't about who is right or wrong its normally about who has more money and the bigger company wins, In most cases.

• @MartinD said: as the quality has been going downhill for a while.

I've noticed they only ever use this "legal" threat with the sip service and nothing else.

Yeah, This is the reason I have cancelled with them, As their service is becoming as unreliable as their support, I already paid this but if they invoice me again next month I will be ignoring it.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

@MonsteR said: Even if the invoice/bill is sent when the service has been cancelled ? As I am sure they wouldn't be able to Justify that. But yet again when it comes down to big company's it isn't about who is right or wrong its normally about who has more money and the bigger company wins, In most cases.

Yes, they will still tack on the fee. Technically you can go against it because you've cancelled the service, but depending on collections office that may become quite a hard thing to do.

If you have a really nasty collection office after you, they will go to court over it, and that's going to cost you in legal fees or at the very least court costs. Even if they were invoicing you for no valid reason.

If it's a more reasonable collection office (they exist!) you can just explain the situation to them and they'll void the invoice/collection.

And this shows why a court system like this doesn't work...

• @joepie91 said: If you have a really nasty collection office after you, they will go to court over it, and that's going to cost you in legal fees or at the very least court costs. Even if they were invoicing you for no valid reason.

they won't go to court because the judges will see the collection office accepts cancelled subscription invoices and they will be in more trouble. Furthermore, you don't pay for court, you pay for a lawyer, the one who has lost the lawsuit has to pay the court costs.

Still not worth the hassle even though those dirty collection offices won't go to court.

• @joepie91 @BronzeByte It's interesting to see what some company's will do to for ridiculous amounts money though. A lot of corruption in this world and it seems the people who have enough money will win. Even if there proved wrong.

• No court in the UK would uphold action against such a small fee and it would be thrown out. Any collection agency can only enforce collection of the debt by court order.. so without a court order there's nothing they can do.

• @BronzeByte that was the only sane comment put here so far, and still not poignant enough.

• IshaqIshaq Member

No court is going to proceed for such a small amount.

• Once it gets to a court the amount won't be so small anymore as they'll keep adding late fees, collections fees, etc

• The court can identify that though - they can see the original debt is a lot smaller than the amount being pursued. On that basis they would throw it out.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2013

The best way to fight these stupid things is with the small claims court.

You don't put yourself in danger though, you write to them expressing why you don't owe it, give them 14 days to agree with you and remove it, if you do not hear back then you pay them making it clear you are doing so under duress and you intend to contest the fee.

Then you write to them again requesting the £1.50 refund + an admin fee of around £40 also noting you intend to take legal action.

If they fail to acknowledge or respond then use money claim online, the window of opportunity is to short for them to lodge are full defence as they are to big of a company and you will usually get judgement in default or they will pay you your £41.50 anyway to make the case go away if there is any risk of them loosing, companies like that do not want a CCJ or even the risk of one for £1.50