Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stopped gettting mail notifications from LET a while ago
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Stopped gettting mail notifications from LET a while ago

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited June 2016 in Help
Jun 13 10:56:27 len postfix/smtpd[25008]: warning: hostname 198-23-141-194-host.colocrossing.com does not resolve to address 198.23.141.194: Name or service not known
Jun 13 10:56:27 len postfix/smtpd[25008]: connect from unknown[198.23.141.194]
Jun 13 10:56:28 len postfix/smtpd[25008]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[198.23.141.194]: 450 4.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [198.23.141.194]; from=< [email protected] > to=< rm@... > proto=ESMTP helo=< smtp1a.lowendbox.com >

@SysAdmin @jarland can you please fix it, thanks.

Thanked by 2i83 doghouch

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2016

Add the IP to mynetworks in /etc/postfix/main.cf and you should start receiving the emails.

This would not solve the problem for everyone else not receiving the emails though.
    Let's tag @sysadmin

• i83i83 Member
    edited June 2016

Yeah they stopped landing on Office365 again too.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Nothing on MXroute either - quite ironic actually.

• trabiatrabia Member
    edited June 2016

Well, the problem seems to be that the reverse dns is broken. A PTR record exists but no corresponding A record. Many MTAs are configured to reject this email as invalid reverse dns.

We have made the observation in the last years that more and more people are breaking their reverse dns settings by not having a proper A(AAA)<->PTR setup, especially with IPv6 becoming more used, small to large companies alike. Due to this we have disabled reverse dns checks in our anti-spam procedures, because we had the issue that several mails didn't reach us.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Really wish vanilla would work with MXroute. It opens the connection and never passes the auth details.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jarland said:
    Really wish vanilla would work with MXroute. It opens the connection and never passes the auth details.

And MailChimp?

• Could be a lot of things broken, I will put it on my list to look into. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

netomx said: And MailChimp?

Who? :P

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@jarland said:

netomx said: And MailChimp?

Who? :P

I meant MXRoute :)

Thanked by 2jar doghouch
  • jarland said: Really wish vanilla would work with MXroute. It opens the connection and never passes the auth details.

Are y'all up for customized bullshit?

library/core/class.email.php line 36, insert $this->PhpMailer->Username =""; $this->PhpMailer->Password = "";

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • @jarland said:

Can't you just use an MTA like exim and use a "smart host" to redirect outgoing IP? I did something like that with mandrill a while back.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, the mail notifications have been working on and off for (literally) the last few years...

One would think CC could pay for mail delivery if they aren't able to do it properly.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited June 2016

exim4 smarthost, ever heard of that?

Just pass sendmail mail through to mxroute.

Edit: Nvm, linuxthefish already mentioned that.

All I have access to is the vanilla panel

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Nyr said:
    Well, the mail notifications have been working on and off for (literally) the last few years...

One would think CC could pay for mail delivery if they aren't able to do it properly.

It's buggy vanilla code unfortunately.

Alex is working on a fix.

Thanked by 1Nyr
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jarland said:

Maybe @SysAdmin can provide us a few logs. It should be an easy fix

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

The problem is that the server presents itself as smtp1a.lowendbox.com which correctly resolves to 198.23.141.194, however that IP has rDNS of 198-23-141-194-host.colocrossing.com -- i.e. the forward and reverse DNS do not match.

Solution: set 198.23.141.194 rDNS to smtp1a.lowendbox.com

• dailydaily Member

It's strange, I didn't receive an password reset email a couple weeks ago, so I just had it sent again and it worked.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

rm_ said: The problem is that the server presents itself as smtp1a.lowendbox.com which correctly resolves to 198.23.141.194, however that IP has rDNS of 198-23-141-194-host.colocrossing.com -- i.e. the forward and reverse DNS do not match.

Solution: set 198.23.141.194 rDNS to smtp1a.lowendbox.com

This was corrected, thanks for pointing it out.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Yeah they returned a few days ago. Thanks!