Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Running Squid proxy server as a caching proxy for slow connection on a Raspberry Pi 2?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Running Squid proxy server as a caching proxy for slow connection on a Raspberry Pi 2?

Does anyone here run squid, or any other caching proxy server on a Raspberry Pi or similar spec hardware?

Would the type of disk/SD card used make a difference, or would I be better running it on a USB hard drive? What about RAM disks, or RAM caching to reduce SD card wear? The only requirement for this project is to be able to cache content for a network of about 14 PC's and a few mobile phones - and to use a single board computer!

20mbit ADSL, 300gb and 1mbit average internet usage per month. Most of the traffic is from a number of HTTP only websites, a lot of image heavy stuff. I would be interested if anyone has run squid on a resource computer or VPS, not just as a proxy server but with heavy caching?

Comments

• SpoofySpoofy Member
    edited June 2016

Hi!

I'm running Squid proxy server on a BananaPi R1 (router like RPI with five 1Gbps ports (vlan setup) and WiFi - acting as a router for VPN gate for few hosts in LAN, and proxy gate). I recommend you to find out, what kind of distro will be the best - couse on RPI 2, newer Rasbian (based on Debian Jessie) is too slow, IMHO because of systemd - BananianOS on BananaPI is based on Debian Jessie, but without systemd (it uses old school sysvinit scripts), and it seems it's faster.

Anyway, Squid server with cache, clamav and videocache on SSD (BPI got SATA connector) is awesome for LAN network, and I can recommend you this solution, but on a RPI with SD - it can be too slow I think.

You can google info about BPI and BananianOS:

Btw. I ordered mine on aliexpress.com with nice plastic case and WiFi antennas.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish