Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended dedicated provider in the Washington DC area
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended dedicated provider in the Washington DC area

jon617jon617 Veteran
edited June 2016 in Providers

I am looking for someone's recommendation of a dedicated provider in the Washington DC area (Virginia, Maryland, DC area). Must be a dedicated server on a good network, CPU at least Dual L5420 or better, 16GB RAM or better, and price $35/mo or less. Only need 1 IP. Gigabit preferred but not required. Must have dedicated support staff 24/7 to handle any network outages, so please no one-man operations.

Seems hard to find one in that area at this price, but figured I'd ask. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jon617jon617 Veteran

Do you know if they have staff, or are they a one-man operation?

• @Dedispec can provide dedicated servers in WV, they share location (same DC) as RHS, but provide you with unmetered 100Mbit/s vs RHS that provides you with 5TB traffic.

• jon617jon617 Veteran

Same question. Do they have 24/7 staff to handle outages, or are they a one-man operation. There are a lot of them here on Lowendtalk/box, and not what I'm looking for today.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Dedispec is certainly not a smart choice if you need production-level reliability.

RHS is good for the price, but wouldn't use them for production either.

Honestly, your budget is unrealistic for what you want.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited June 2016

That's what I figured, but thanks anyway.

Out of curiosity, would a more production-level provider be available for around $50/mo, or are they all like at least $90/mo?

• @Nyr said:
    Dedispec is certainly not a smart choice if you need production-level reliability.

RHS is good for the price, but wouldn't use them for production either.

Honestly, your budget is unrealistic for what you want.

Do you have any experience of Dedispec at Berkley Springs? as they & RHS share the location (DC) & (external/upstream) network.

edited June 2016

@zrunner said:
    Do you have any experience of Dedispec at Berkley Springs? as they & RHS share the location (DC) & (external/upstream) network.

Difficult to have experience with them considering that he/they ignored my contact attempt.

Anyway they certainly don't have 24/7 staff at the datacenter.

I have experience with RHS and they are good for the price, but wouldn't host anything mission critical with them.

@jon617 said:
    That's what I figured, but thanks anyway.

Out of curiosity, would a more production-level provider be available for around $50/mo, or are they all like at least $90/mo?

You should start considering your choice of a decade-old processor which uses DDR2 and has been long EOL. You would get eBay-sourced crap from mamy providers in your price range.

Finding an Avoton for $50 could be possible/reasonable in the area. If you want an E3 instead, up your budget past $50.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited June 2016

@Nyr said:
    You should start considering your choice of a decade-old processor which uses DDR2 and has been long EOL. You would get eBay-sourced crap from mamy providers in your price range.

For this setup, I'd rather deal with busted hardware than a problem network. I can prepare for a sudden server failure with live replication to another standby server. But I prefer not to deal with network blips, packet losses, and occasional slowness that often go unnoticed by me. I prefer a company proactively watching their network and responding to issues before I notice them (or one of my customers notices them) and have to open a ticket.

• @Nyr said:

Difficult to have experience with them considering that he/they ignored my contact attempt.

Yes then it would be difficult :) - so tagging @dedispec for email/notice.
    Reason i asked is because i have a box with RHS and currently in the talks with dedispec to test a box out with them in WV.

• FredQcFredQc Member

Well, I have a little box that is only $20/mo with RHS and it's been flawless from the start. I didn't encoured any downtime. The staff, well... Jeff Martin, have been really helpfull and friendly with me. Sure, it's almost a "one man show" but at least they own the equipement AND the datacenter, witch is a big plus. I'm not running anything critical on this box but I'm sure that if I had to, it would perform great.

System Info
    -----------
    Processor       : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         870  @ 2.93GHz
    CPU Cores       : 8
    Frequency       : 2933.000 MHz
    Memory          : 15942 MB
    Swap            : 16367 MB
    Uptime          : 75 days, 22:08,

OS              : CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
    Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel          : 2.6.32-573.22.1.el6.x86_64
    Hostname        : l4m3rz.b0x

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        11.3MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          4.02MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       9.52MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       6.19MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       6.00MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       11.2MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          2.47MB/s 
    Singapore               Softlayer       3.20MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         3.98MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        11.2MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 126 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 128 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 128 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 127.333 MB/s

• Second this suggestion. Great deal at that price.

BigBrainGlobal is another good provider in DC, but they're no where near that price point.

• DedispecDedispec Member, Patron Provider

@Nyr would you mind shooting me over your ticket # or email you used so I can look into why no one ever got back to you?

Thanks for the mention @zrunner

@Dedispec it was a PM over here, but I don't care any longer.