Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to setup internet radio server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to setup internet radio server

kampungkampung Member
edited March 2013 in Help

I need to build internet radio for my community.
Can someone give some pointer to setup my own internet radio using linux VPS?

From quick googling, i think i need to setup icecast or shoutcast. Am i in the right direction?

How is VPS requirement to support 50-100 listener?

THanks

Comments

• flash

Please don't use flash

• @Zen said: Don't do shoutcast, icecast is superior, use an embedded flash app on site.

Thanks, really help me.
    I think most of my user will use winamp or similar software.
    But i also need to provide flash on the web.

• @BradND said: Please don't use flash

Why?
    I don't like flash.
    But i think most users have no problem with it.

• VPSSLIMVPSSLIM Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2013

Hi,

Do you also need some kind of control panel or do you just want to host shoutcast/icecast server on your VPS? How much listeners *and which streaming format(kbps) do you think you will have? If you know that you can calculate what kind of portspeed you need etc.

• gracagraca Member

if you don't do any transcoding on the server, then most LEB VPS spec will suffice. but you still need to think about the bandwidth though.

• Icecast + mounts + screen +mpd +mp3's = profit.

• I'm using shoutcast for httpd://f63.net. it ran fine on a 96M vps from ipxcore. Ram usage was never higher then 20mb.

Currently the radio is running on a ramnode.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

You can try this http://www.serviio.org/

• @VPSSLIM said: Do you also need some kind of control panel or do you just want to host shoutcast/icecast server on your VPS? How much listeners *and which streaming format(kbps) do you think you will have? If you know that you can calculate what kind of portspeed you need etc.

Hi,
    I can only answer your question about listener number. It will be 50-100.
    For the other questions, i also don't know what i really need.

• @graca said: if you don't do any transcoding on the server, then most LEB VPS spec will suffice. but you still need to think about the bandwidth though.

Thanks for the info.

@blergh_ said: Icecast + mounts + screen +mpd +mp3's = profit.

Thanks

Unfortunately, i will get nothing. And maybe i need to spend more money to host the site :D.

@taronyu said: I'm using shoutcast for httpd://f63.net. it ran fine on a 96M vps from ipxcore. Ram usage was never higher then 20mb.

Thanks for the info, but i don't understand it.
    You said your shoutcast running on ipxcore, but your radio running on ramnode.
    What you mean by the 'radio' here?

Thanks, will definitely check it out

• @kampung said: @taronyu said: I'm using shoutcast for httpd://f63.net. it ran fine on a 96M vps from ipxcore. Ram usage was never higher then 20mb.

Thanks for the info, but i don't understand it.

You said your shoutcast running on ipxcore, but your radio running on ramnode.
    What you mean by the 'radio' here?

OK, i think i understand now.
    What you mean by 'radio' here is the stream source.

Thanks

• n0myn0my Member

IceCast2 + musesradioplayer.com = Radio on web :)

• I'm using shoutcast (both the server and transcoder) on my VPS
    VPS has 256mb ram, using no more then 60-70mb ram

Works like a charm

• @n0my said: IceCast2 + musesradioplayer.com = Radio on web :)

Thanks. will check it.

@joodle said: I'm using shoutcast (both the server and transcoder) on my VPS

VPS has 256mb ram, using no more then 60-70mb ram

How many listener?

• My radio ran (past right?) On a 96M from Ipxcore. However I moved it to a ramnode vps because of the bandwith usage.

• @taronyu said: My radio ran (past right?) On a 96M from Ipxcore. However I moved it to a ramnode vps because of the bandwith usage.

You were right. Sorry for my bad english.

• @kampung said: How many listener?

This really depends lol, sometimes 20, sometimes 50

• IceCast + LiquidSoap!

• DestroyeRCoDestroyeRCo Member
    edited March 2013

I recommend you my.invertedinternetgroup.com/aff.php?aff=011

You can ask them to make you a custom plan :)

• OP, Icecast + your stream source software of choice is your best bet.

If you want to be really fancy and can get a decent-sized VPS, you can give Airtime a run.

@DestroyeRCo said: aff.php?aff=011

• @ihatetonyy said: you can give Airtime a run.

Wasted 7 bucks getting a VPS to run that thing, It was impossible to me to make it run on Debian, Ubuntu, etc.

PS: I'll not get rich if you buy a $2 server, also he can just copy the link before the "/", that's why I linked raw.

• IceCast2 + Airtime 2.3 with Debian 6 or Ubuntu 10.04 (http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/) 512MB-1GB RAM and 30-40GB for mp3s and 10GB for OS+apps ..easy 100+ listener.

Install is little tricky but you must config locale to en-US UTF-8 before install postgresql and you are ok.

• @mtoledoce said: Airtime 2.3

ooh, now that looks pretty. Thanks for the tip!

• @mtoledoce said: IceCast2 + Airtime 2.3 with Debian 6 or Ubuntu 10.04 (http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/airtime/) 512MB-1GB RAM and 30-40GB for mp3s and 10GB for OS+apps ..easy 100+ listener.

Thanks for the Airtime tips.
    It seems superior than ices2.

I have installed icecast2. After reading about ices2 & liquidsoap, it seems that the problem will not in icecast2 but in the stream source software. Better stream source software will make our live better.

• sprabowosprabowo Member
    edited March 2013

@kampung said: I need to build internet radio for my community.

Can someone give some pointer to setup my own internet radio using linux VPS?

From quick googling, i think i need to setup icecast or shoutcast. Am i in the right direction?

How is VPS requirement to support 50-100 listener?

THanks

i think you'd better use shoutcast. i have VPS server with 128mb ram, and then i run it. i can setting listener 1000 listener. even i can setting more. for BW you can adjust with your radio. if your radio always on 24 hours you can choose big BW. check my signature to see my shoutcast radio.

• @sprabowo said: i think you'd better use shoutcast. i have VPS server with 128mb ram, and then i run it. i can setting listener 1000 listener. even i can setting more. for BW you can adjust with your radio. if your radio always on 24 hours you can choose big BW. check my signature to see my shoutcast radio.

Really useful info. For 1000 listener, Only SETTING it or HANDLE it?
    Btw, i can't visit your m.embradio.com

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited March 2013

@sprabowo said: i think you'd better use shoutcast. i have VPS server with 128mb ram, and then i run it. i can setting listener 1000 listener. even i can setting more. for BW you can adjust with your radio. if your radio always on 24 hours you can choose big BW. check my signature to see my shoutcast radio.

this makes absolutely no sense.
    Running the software DOES NOT mean that it runs well.
    Setting the listener limit to 1000 DOES NOT mean that it can actually serve so many listeners.
    Why would you give it more bandwidth if it's 24/7?
    Your own radio that you're bragging about is down. ;)

• Airtime might be a bit too elaborate if you don't have a lot of resources on your server, in that case I'd recommend Liquidsoap (which is what Airtime uses for its automation scripting).

• sprabowosprabowo Member
    edited March 2013

@kampung said: Really useful info. For 1000 listener, Only SETTING it or HANDLE it?

Btw, i can't visit your m.embradio.com

i just setting it. sorry there's problem with my domain.