Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended specs for a 15 slot CS server ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended specs for a 15 slot CS server ?

Need a VPS for a 10-15 slot CS server. Any recommended specs and providers for this ? Location can be Asia/EU. As it is a private server, DDoS protection is not mandatory, though a good thing to have. What more is required in terms of hardware specs ? Any suggestions ?

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I don't know the exact usage of the source games but I have people running small source game servers (things like GTA, and one or two CS) and I've never had an issue with the CPU, so you'd probably be fine on most providers as long as they don't have specific terms against game servers. Source servers use barely any memory, right?

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • dailydaily Member
    edited June 2016

Are we talking CS 1.6, Source, or Global Offensive? Either way you'll be okay with any host that allows game servers, really. Just ensure for 10-20 slots, I'd have at least 1.5GB free to ensure no issues with plugins and high traffic.

Source: Game server provider

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • FalzoFalzo Member

back in the days 20 slot, cs 1.6 run on 64 MB, AMD K6-2 400 MHz just fine ...

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • well, I forgot to add, it is CS:GO ... if that helps.

Any good/recommended game server providers here (for EU/Asia) ?

• I run a 10 slot 128tic CSGO private server on Dediserve 1GB LET server, works fine, no noticeable lags.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @TheOnlyDK said:
    I run a 10 slot 128tic CSGO private server on Dediserve 1GB LET server, works fine, no noticeable lags.

Ok, that helps a lot. Only if the latency were a bit lower.

How much latency is ideal ? How close the server has to be for a good experience ?

• dailydaily Member

Latency is a big deal. If this is meant to be a competitive private server, you'll want players to have no less than I'd say 70 ping or you'll start getting complaints. 100 ping is about the point where even casually I start having less fun. As far as how close, it depends on route.

• @Junkless said:
    Ok, that helps a lot. Only if the latency were a bit lower.

How much latency is ideal ? How close the server has to be for a good experience ?

I'm really sensitive to latency, for me anything about 75ms is hard and anything over 90ms is not playable, but that's official 64tick MM servers and playing SMFC/LEM games. If it's 128tic and a casual game, I'd say below 100ms is fine, and I've had friends connecting from China (via VPN) and playing around 150ms just fine.

• @daily said:
    Latency is a big deal. If this is meant to be a competitive private server, you'll want players to have no less than I'd say 70 ping or you'll start getting complaints. 100 ping is about the point where even casually I start having less fun. As far as how close, it depends on route.

That is exactly what I wanted to ask. And how much storage you think will be required ?

• dailydaily Member

CS:GO itself will take about 8GB, so if you want a good amount of maps, 15GB is your best bet.

• @daily said:
    CS:GO itself will take about 8GB, so if you want a good amount of maps, 15GB is your best bet.

8GB is 3 years ago, now CSGO is about 10GB +-.

• dailydaily Member

@TheOnlyDK said:

@daily said:

8GB is 3 years ago, now CSGO is about 10GB +-.

Well there you go! I must admit I primarily focus on TF2 servers, so I might be tad bit behind on things. 15GB for sure.

• If you can get a Vultr 3.5Ghz server, that was awesome for CSGO. I find their 2GHz servers sometimes laggy, then I switched to dediserve, didn't notice much lag. But also factor in the fact if the node is busy or someone abuse it for a while or something.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited June 2016

When I want to run a game server I spin up a vultr instance. Always been perfect for me

Edit: usually good (source) not csgo though