Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

840 Pro and LSI RAID?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

840 Pro and LSI RAID?

johnjohn Member
edited March 2013 in General

There's been recent reports of issues with LSI CacheCade and Samsung 840 Pro drives but does anyone have experience using 840 Pro drives as part of an array? Any issues?

Comments

• John,

Are you talking about Caching them for instance, a Raid 10 then using the 840 as a cachecade drive?

Were the LSI HWRaid for a raid 10 SSD setup using 840's and having no problems, our next movement is towards caching, have you got any sources of information for the issues reported?

Thanks!
    -Chris

• johnjohn Member

I was looking for experience using 840 Pro drives as members of the main array. There are issues with CacheCade but I have not read any issues about them as part of the main array; I was just making sure.

Issues with CacheCade: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1223799

• @eastonch said: Were the LSI HWRaid for a raid 10 SSD setup using 840's and having no problems, our next movement is towards caching, have you got any sources of information for the issues reported?

It's widely reported. Also what do you mean you are having no problems? Performance wasn't expected is the problem. What numbers are you getting?

Apparently someone's also having issues with it as a normal RAID10 non-caching.

• johnjohn Member

@concerto49 said: Apparently someone's also having issues with it as a normal RAID10 non-caching.

Do you have a source for this? It seems the new 840 Pro drives are great performers but there's quite a bit of issues surrounding them when used in RAID.

• @john said: Do you have a source for this? It seems the new 840 Pro drives are great performers but there's quite a bit of issues surrounding them when used in RAID.

Apparently LSI turns off caching on the drives. Possibly a firmware bug. This is what happens on CacheCade. As to non-CacheCade, have not personally tried. Heard about somewhere... have to check/confirm.

• @eastonch, how many ssds used in the array? in terms of dd and ioping what results are you seeing?

• johnjohn Member

@serverian said: @eastonch, how many ssds used in the array? in terms of dd and ioping what results are you seeing?

From SwiftVM's thread: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/03/03/6mRxhUgTCt8sFk0n

IO ping varies a bit more than SSDs should, results of first DD test are a bit low, FIO read is low.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I'm having problems with them--hit or miss regardless of the LSI card.

• johnjohn Member
    edited March 2013

@Nick_A said: I'm having problems with them--hit or miss regardless of the LSI card.

Are you also having problems with them as part of an array (not caching drive)?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yep

• johnjohn Member
    edited March 2013

What kind of issues are you seeing? Low performance?

• btw LSI released a new firmware a few days ago, but apparently it didn't fix the performance issue with the 840Ps: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8586119&postcount=40