Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is OpenVZ bad? allows overselling?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

seenuseenu Member
edited June 2016 in General

what are the main disadvantages to end user when using openvz?

how openvz is cheaper compared to kvm?

EDIT: i want to use only linux (just ubuntu) so my question mostly about overselling and any disadvantages besides ability to use different OSes.

Reason for this question:

on almost fresh vps box, when i run free -m it shows most of my ram is being used and left with just 100-200MB, so i doubt my ram may be used by noisy neighbor and i am the victim

Comments

• rokokrokok Member
    1. Yes, Yes.

2. See answer 1.

3. See answer 1.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

seenu said: is OpenVZ bad? allows overselling?

It's not bad per se, but it does allow more overselling. OvZ containers take less power to run than KVM because the kernel is shared, so you can stuff more of them on a server, hence overselling.

what are the main disadvantages to end user when using openvz?

Shared kernel means you can't do everything you can do with KVM. Also, with KVM you can run Windows, *BSD and other operating systems besides just Linux.

You can get shitty oversold KVM, too - put enough nodes on a box and the I/O will be crippled.

It's really about knowing your provider. I have some OvZ that run superbly. I've had some in the past that sucked.

Thanked by 1Pwner
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Every virtualization allows overselling: KVM/OpenVZ/XEN....

• Sure, anything can be bad. That's not a very useful question without specifics.

Yes, like almost every virtualization technology, it allows overselling. That's a often a key point of virtualization.

The main "disadvantage" is that you don't have control over the kernel/kernel modules, which is really only a "disadvantage" if you need that ability.

Instead of trying to think of reasons OpenVZ is bad, tell us what you intend to use it for.

• seenuseenu Member

Thanks @raindog308

hmm, my understanding of overselling is "you have 50GB RAM and create 10VPSes with 5GB each is fine but create 20VPSes with 5GB each assuming each vps doesn't use 5gb all the time"

or we can apply that clearly to cpanel reseller hosting where space overselling is allowed.

and your overselling refers to space and ram or even cores?

Microlinux said: anything can be bad

Not true:

• bacon

• boobs

• LET

• seenuseenu Member

@Microlinux

updated question with more clarification

• rds100rds100 Member

Are guns bad? They can kill people?
    No - guns don't kill people. People kill people.

edited June 2016

@raindog308 said:

Microlinux said: anything can be bad

Not true:

• bacon

• boobs

• LET

Wait....

Didn't you remembered that Jonny Nuggets thingy, he wanted to kill himself? > LET

Bacon kills if you eat to a lot > bad

boobs if to heavy, can kill you also > bad.

seenu said: hmm, my understanding of overselling is "you have 50GB RAM and create 10VPSes with 5GB each is fine but create 20VPSes with 5GB each assuming each vps doesn't use 5gb all the time"

Yes, this is overselling but overselling is also used as slang for "too many". Maybe what I'm discussing is really "overcommitted" or "oversubscribed".

seenu said: and your overselling refers to space and ram or even cores?

You can oversell cpu, ram, and disk. In my experience, that's sorted in ease of overcommitting. Selling> 100% of all CPUs is easy and expected - heck, my employer routinely does this in its own VMware farms because it's very rare you'd have apps using 100% of their assigned CPU all the time.

RAM you have to be a bit more judicious with. Disk of course you can get burned, but overselling disk in shared is extremely common (as you point out with cpanel reseller)...less so on VPS but there are certainly those who do it.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2016

Neoon said: Bacon kills if you eat to a lot > bad

Eating two strips of bacon every day reduces the chance of being a suicide bomber by 99.99%

Thanked by 1Lm85H4gFkh3wk3

Neoon said: Didn't you remembered that Jonny Nuggets thingy, he wanted to kill himself? > LET

This doesn't seem to make LET bad...

But if you abstain from bacon, you still die, so...

Neoon said: boobs if to heavy, can kill you also > bad.

Pics or I don't believe you.

Actually, I think I would need to experience being crushed to death by cleavage before I accept this.

• @raindog308 said:
    Actually, I think I would need to experience being crushed to death by cleavage before I accept this.

We can all dream.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Pwner
  • BradBrad Member

seenu said: is OpenVZ bad

Like @raindog308 said, it's not necessarily 'bad'. It will run a lot of the things KVM will. However, the one thing, as a consumer, that worries me about OpenVZ is how hilariously easy it is for the provider to break in. It is literally done with one command.

Of course, if you are a good-sized provider, there is some level of overselling behind the scenes. Sometimes a provider overselling might have its benefits. For one, it drives the pricing down because the provider is able to advertise more of it for less. This is why KVM VMs are usually more than OVZ. Not everyone, myself included, uses all the resources we are allocated and paid for. Just because I bought a 4GB RAM VM it doesn't mean I'm 100% of the time going to use all of the 4GB. Maybe I just needed 2.5GB and the provider's only closest configuration comes with 4GB. Or maybe I bought that 4GB deal because it was a good deal (like many of us do) and I actually have no intentions of using it. Over 20, 30, 40, 50, or whatever number of VMs on the node, it adds up.

If I need a Windows VM, I go to a reliable provider offering KVM/XEN. If I don't, I can settle with a reliable provider offering OpenVZ, KVM, and/or XEN.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

It all depends about the hosting company you choose. Pricing also says a lot - pay peanuts get monkeys :-)
    Nothing is wrong with OpenVZ, as long it's setup properly and the host node is not being oversold.
    As already mentioned in this topic, pretty much every virtualization technique allows some sort of overselling.

Thanked by 1seenu
  • LeeLee Veteran

OVZ is not bad at all when it come to overselling, the bad part are the "providers" that miss-manage it.

Thanked by 1seenu
    edited June 2016

@rds100 said:

Eating two strips of bacon every day reduces the chance of being a suicide bomber by 99.99%

Independent Statistics please.

@raindog308

Depends.

Depends.

Well google, you will find some.