Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using Guacamole for SSH / VNC / RDP via HTML5?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using Guacamole for SSH / VNC / RDP via HTML5?

I'm giving it a go and testing now. Great for pesky locked down corporate networks!

http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent

Comments

• I've been using to access some of my servers when I'm on a computer that isn't my own. It works pretty well, though I wish it had better support for short cut keys, but it gets the job done.

• jeromezajeromeza Member
    edited June 2016

@CFarence - Thanks - just wanted something self hosted since the Teamviewer fiasco. I've just installed and i'm playing around - however for the life of me I can't work out how to exit an SSH session and go back in to the connections list. It just keeps reconnecting me to the old sessions, even if I log out / in again.

EDIT: Hidden menu - CTRL + ALT + SHIFT to access.

• @jeromeza said:
    @CFarence - Thanks - just wanted something self hosted since the Teamviewer fiasco. I've just installed and i'm playing around - however for the life of me I can't work out how to exit an SSH session and go back in to the connections list. It just keeps reconnecting me to the old sessions, even if I log out / in again.

Type exit in the ssh session to have the server disconnect you, a message will pop up asking if you want to reconnect, go home, or log out. You can also press control+alt+shift to bring up the menu, clicking on your username will bring a menu up and you can click disconnect from there.

Thanked by 1jeromeza
  • rokokrokok Member

Sorry i always remember this when saw "Guacamole"

• @CFarence - thanks, guess you didn't see my edit in time ;)

Do you pre save your connection info / passwords / keys in Guacamole? I'm not sure how I feel about that. I almost prefer to keep them in KeePassX or some such and just hand them over when needed.

• @jeromeza said:

No when I opened and started typing you had not edited it yet :)

I have the address and a private key saved, the username needs to be filled in and a key to decrypt the key also needs to be filled before you can connect to the server. I have nginx sitting in front of my instance and was thinking about using nginx's goe IP to only allow US IPs to connect to it. Since that's where I'll always be, and if I do go over seas I'll definitely have my laptop with VPN access.

I can't really think of anything better, I don't think guacamole has time out/ ban capabilities for incorrect password attempts.

• FritzFritz Veteran

How to actually the best way to install it on Centos/Debian?

• tommytommy Member

Fritz said: How to actually the best way to install it on Centos/Debian?

apt-get install guacamole

• Weird... I would have thought this would bypass a corporate proxy and allow SSH out over HTTP via the host guacamole server, but it seems not...

If I'm on corporate proxy and I connect to Guacamole GUI (works) and from there SSH To my server it times out. IF I switch to my phone's hotspot then it works.

Does it not use the remote host it's installed on to make the connections?

• edited June 2016

@jeromeza said:
    Weird... I would have thought this would bypass a corporate proxy and allow SSH out over HTTP via the host guacamole server, but it seems not...

If I'm on corporate proxy and I connect to Guacamole GUI (works) and from there SSH To my server it times out. IF I switch to my phone's hotspot then it works.

An alternative to that would be Shellinabox (for SSH connections), if you haven't tried it already. It's pretty decent.

• noamannoaman Member

@theroyalstudent said:

@jeromeza said:
    Weird... I would have thought this would bypass a corporate proxy and allow SSH out over HTTP via the host guacamole server, but it seems not...

An alternative to that would be Shellinabox (for SSH connections), if you haven't tried it already. It's pretty decent.

It's amazing....no need for putty anymore...also these two tools guacamole + shellinabox + pydio are amazing development tools...you can start developing anywhere with just a browser and Internet