Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of replicated storage on a 128MB OvZ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What kind of replicated storage on a 128MB OvZ?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited June 2016 in Help

I'm feeling experimental.

I'm thinking of setting up a small amount of replicated storage and have some 128MB VPSes lying around...classic OvZ 128s. I'd like to take 3 of them and make a 5GB area that is replicated across all three...change/add/delete a file and it shows up on the others instantly (allowing for network latency, etc.)

Gluster wants 1GB of RAM. Not sure if it even runs on OvZ.

DRBD runs fine on 512MB apparently but that's still a bit much.

@rincewind mentioned incron which is an inotify wrapper I could use to "kick off rsync if anything changes" which might work...though I'm not sure how that will work in terms of multi-master.

There's also cloud storage - e.g., run the dropbox client or something on each. That puts the "master" out of my worry. Dropbox and OneDrive are out because I already use them elsewhere...though I suppose I could limit which Dropbox folder. I am not using Google Drive now, which is an option. And there's SyncThing.

I'd like instant sync but could live with some small latency...actually, I admit I have no real justification for this elaborateness but then, doing elaborate things on pocket change hardware is kind of the point of LET, no? :-) You can tell I have the week off...

Other things to look at or other advice?

Comments

• pretty sure raymii got by with much less than 1GB for a lil glustercluster

I've been looking into minio as a much-needed minimalist s3 clone that doesn't require all the crazy shit that openstack swift does

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Of course it depends on your definition of "replicated storage" but I myself like to use unison for simple periodic two-way replication of directories. Obviously it isn't relatime like Gluster or DRBD. If neccessary you can run it in an infinite loop instead of cronjobs. It is more like rsync but provides automatic two-way replication with ability to define priorities in case of conflicts. I am using it for years to replicate webspace folders between active-passive servers clusters. Last but not least I have no idea whether it will run with 128MB RAM. But maybe it is yet another option to think about.

• Very helpful: http://superuser.com/questions/31512/how-to-synchronize-the-home-folder-between-multiple-computers

That being said, I think both unison and lsyncd would do the job just fine with your 128MB requirement.

• edited June 2016

Syncthing is fine, just change the update frequency to as low as you want (1 second if you want to make it feel as instant as possible?), I'm using it on my 128MB nodes, it's fine.

If you are trying to build a small replicated storage to access with HTTP(S), I would suggest installing nginx on all these nodes as reverse proxies, then setting the next_upstream to trigger when file is not found, so as long as the file is available on one server, it just works :)

^ that's viable... if you have enough bandwidth to burn though.

• ehabehab Member
    edited June 2016

i'd use cron + rsync and for on deman use inotify

off course you can hire me to look after them :P just in case

i always try to use the simplest because its most likely the right choice.

• BradBrad Member

Just very recently started using Syncthing. Very easy to setup and manage through the web GUI. File versioning might also be interesting if you need that. Besides that, the only other thing I've used when I needed 'live' syncing was lsyncd, which did the job for me.

Oh by the way,

raindog308 said: SyncThing

https://docs.syncthing.net/users/faq.html#is-it-syncthing-syncthing-or-syncthing

Thanked by 1raindog308