Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to backup shared hosting the right way?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to backup shared hosting the right way?

NixtrenNixtren Member
edited June 2016 in Help

Hi guys,

I recently got a shared hosting package for not-so-important websites, but still want to take backups (obviously). There's no backup feature on the control panel (no cPanel, no R1Soft) and no SSH access, just plain old school FTP (fortunately with TLS encryption).

So, what's the best way to backup FTP and MySQL databases in this scenario? Or should I just move to a provider with cPanel/R1soft/similar backup thing/SSH access?

Comments

• noamannoaman Member

You cannot backup mysql with ftp... If ftp root is the web root..

Backup all files using ftp

Install adminer.php in the web root

Also you could also use net2ftp and other services

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited June 2016

@Nixtren said:
    Hi guys,

I recently got a shared hosting package for not-so-important websites, but still want to take backups (obviously). There's no backup feature on the control panel (no cPanel, no R1Soft) and no SSH access, just plain old school FTP (fortunately with TLS encryption).

So, what's the best way to backup FTP and MySQL databases in this scenario? Or should I just move to a provider with cPanel/R1soft/similar backup thing/SSH access?

MySQL: Login and export

Files: File Manager and zip all file.

Or ask your provider to enable

Thats the only way.

• ServerServer Member

You can request it from your host, they should be able to provide you with the backup.

I personally avoid hosts which disable the backup feature.

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited June 2016

@Server said:
    You can request it from your host, they should be able to provide you with the backup.

I personally avoid hosts which disable the backup feature.

Just a notice. In Hungary many shared hosting provider disable or there is no backup option. But! If the provider lost your data and the provider not backuped your data then usually you should kick the company by the law , also you could report it to the local police department , and then they have to pay your lost. But thats very rare... Thats why every provider make daily backups there. Or more.

My 2cent from Hungary