Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make Google like my SMTP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to make Google like my SMTP?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

This is what happens when I send email from a VPS:

Jun  5 19:02:04 HOSTNAME postfix/smtp[23322]: E24966C80237: to=, relay=aspmx.l.google.com[74.125.136.27]:25, delay=32, delays=0.08/0.01/31/0.54, dsn=5.7.1, status=bounced (host aspmx.l.google.com[74.125.136.27] said: 550-5.7.1 [MY_IPV4       1] Our system has detected an unusual rate of 550-5.7.1 unsolicited mail originating from your IP address. To protect our 550-5.7.1 users from spam, mail sent from your IP address has been blocked. 550-5.7.1 Please visit 550-5.7.1  https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126 to review our Bulk Email 550 5.7.1 Senders Guidelines. x5si22820739wjf.206 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command))

According to mxtoolbox, the IP isn't on any RBL, but apparently Google doesn't like it. It's just a romanian seedbox so it's not super vital and I could relay to a different host if I wanted to, but the error message's link was more "here's how to be a good email sender" than "here is how to submit your IP to be removed". So is there no appeal process for Google?

In this case, I'm emailing to only one recipient (my own google-hosted email).

Admittedly, I don't have reverse DNS set, nor am I using DKIM/SPF...

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

raindog308 said: Admittedly, I don't have reverse DNS set, nor am I using DKIM/SPF...

That would probably fix it.

• Have you checked multirbl?

You might be on dnsblchile.

• In my experience, rDNS is a must with Google. SPF helps.

After that, having the recipients add your address to their contacts (in Google) helps.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Rallias said: Have you checked multirbl?

The 1 blacklisted is rbl.rbldns.ru

• raindog308 said: The 1 blacklisted is rbl.rbldns.ru

Set your rDNS then.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

Already 20 years ago, people agreed on proper A/PTR records. :)

RFC 1912: 2.1:

Every Internet-reachable host should have a name. [...] Many services available on the Internet will not talk to you if you aren't correctly registered in the DNS. [...] Make sure your PTR and A records match. [...] Failure to have matching PTR and A records can cause loss of Internet services similar to not being registered in the DNS at all.

Give it a try to setup rDNS and be more RFC-friendly. ;)

Personally I discard incoming SMTP connection without proper rDNS, too. If anybody wants to send me a mail, he (or she) should be able to properly configure their systems. ;)

• I'd start with setting SPF + rDNS up, that should assist with delivery.

Google recently puts quite a weight on it being present.

• sinsin Member

I just setup a quick SPF record and that usually works for me (even without rDNS).

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited June 2016

if I remember correctly, google doesn't accept email w/o spf/dkim, outlook worse :)

• No rDNS is the reason for the rejection. SPF and DKIM are essentially non-players as far as rejected mail is concerned.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OK I will set my rdns. Honestly, I would have done routinely but this provider's panel doesn't expose that function so I guess a ticket is in order. Thanks.

• justvmjustvm Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2016

Hi, this is my second post on LET so bear with me, what you have to do to make Google accept mail is:

1) Set you rDNS
    2) You have to have DKMI and SPF records
    3) go to goolge postmaster website and apply for your domain you will have to add a TXT record on your domain DNS so goolge can whitelist your domain.
    4)you have to add another record for Dmarc https://dmarc.org/

Dmarc is a little trick go to their website and follow the instructions.

and with all of this the first email that you send will go to gmail spam then gradually they will send to the client inbox.

without this google will block and will return all emails sent from your domain.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Aye, SPF + PTR should be good. Beyond that, if it continues, you're sending something to their server that they are marking as spam... at reasonably high volume. Remember that their blocks are made in reaction to active trends from your IP.

• tommytommy Member

Trick if you only send to few gmail or any other provider

Ask them to send you email first, reply these email and asking them to whitelist you, next time gmail will let you in.

This trick never failed me :)

They change the rules, now they want DKMI, SPF, Dmarc and whitelist, I've been through all of this and if the records are not right they will bounce your emails back.

You can check the rules at https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication

• @vpsrus,

I routinely email Gmail accounts without all that whitelist stuff you speak of.. Never an issue. I have PTR and SPF.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • edanedan Member

What I do is just replace my smtp server port to 587. This email server is on my KS-1 box and as an SMTP relay, I remove the client sender IP from the postfix header. Never facing an issues when sending email to let say Google, Yahoo, Microsoft email etc. This email server is for my website (forum etc.) so it can send an email minimum 2000/day to different email account for user notification (new reg, PM, replies etc.).

I am set the rdns also (using cheap .ovh domain as the email server hostname).

edited June 2016

@JustAMacUser said:
    @vpsrus,

I routinely email Gmail accounts without all that white list stuff you speak of.. Never an issue. I have PTR and SPF.

I see, I tried everything to fix the problem with gmail and had to follow their guidelines to do it, I add DKMI, SPF and still emails were bouncing back, then I got to be verified by google even though my emails bounced back then I add Dmarc and then things started to work.

• Probably just a difference in the volume and content of our emails. Google can be difficult at times, as is the point of this thread..

@JustAMacUser said:
    Probably just a difference in the volume and content of our emails. Google can be difficult at times, as is the point of this thread..

after we configured our WHMCS we started to test everything and found that customers were not receiving the automatic emails from us, it was not WHMCS configuration problem and then I start to research why, as this is was a new IP and new email account, google is filtering everybody as if you were a mass emailer, so we had to go through all their process to have our email find our customers.